IGNORED

top ten best Jaguar games in YOUR opinion

Nall3k

Raiden - Good scrolling shooter. Good graphics. Like having the arcade game in your home. Fun to pick up and play.

Tempest 2000 - Another mindless shooter. Lotsa fun, especially with the music.

Wolfenstein 3D - IMO, graphically not as advanced as Doom, but more fun to play than Doom. Any game that lets you go around killing Nazis has to be a good time.

Super Burnout - A great racing game. Smooth, fast, colorful, nice graphics, good gameplay. You can pick it up and play one race, or more. Lots of variety in the tracks.

Battlesphere - Great if you can find it and afford it. Easy controls, great music, you really get that feeling you're flying a spaceship.

Iron Soldier 1 and 2 - These games are lots of fun. The sequel has some more polished graphics, but the first is still good, and not quite as difficult. Lots of fun going around in your giant mech, shooting down helicopters, knocking down buildings and stepping on tanks.

Flip Out - Lots of fun if you like puzzle games. A rather unique concept presented in a different, offbeat way. Some neat graphics, and variety - you go from flipping tiles, to aliens on surfboards, to pieces of Mt. Rushmore. I also enjoy Zoop, though I guess that's available on other systems.

Those are the ones that come to mind right now. Hope it helps.

I know AVP is considered a Jag best, and in lots of ways it is. But I find the game too difficult and complicated - I've never been able to finish it, and would often find myself lost and roaming corridors I probably walked down 10 times before but can't tell.

Likewise, Ultra Vortek is praised. It may be the Jag's better fighting game, but once you've played newer games like DOA2 and Soul Calibur, it's hard to go back to this. It didn't seem clunky to me at first, but it does now.

I'll give you my top 10 favorites, most if not all will be 3D games though, because I like them better than 2D (although psuedo 3D like Superburnout is cool!). these are not in order from one to ten, just the top ten. I picked these because they are the ones I go back to over and over through the years, others are great and may show off the jag abilities, but I gotta pick the ones with the most replay value for me.

SkyHammer-this game looks like a game from the newer 32-bit systems like the PSX and is just plain fun to play. Ship upgrades are a MUST for good control and fast action, but thankfully you can cheat and give yourself enough money to get the upgrades from the start.

I-war- It has some slow down when things get hectic, but I keep going back to it for the pure fun, like being in the movie Tron, the bonus level is pure adrenalin pumping, especially if you switch it from outside to inside view, which makes it move faster.

Iron Soldier 1&2- The graphics (at least on 1)may be a bit dated, but the explosions and all around destruction are still second to none, at least on 32/64-bit consoles. Gameplay, gameplay, gameplay!

Doom- What can I say? It's the classic FPS and I still find it very addictive in it's simple way even today, especially networked with a friend!

Battlemorph- great graphics, smooth&fast action, tons of worlds to explore and killer bosses. another that get replayed over and over.

Hover Strike: UL (cd)-forget they cart version-this game still has the defacto graphics and special effects on the Jag IMHO, I love the gameplay, and while the turning of the craft could have been smoother (overshooting the target is easy til you get the hang of it), I love the game and the tons of world to explore and enemies to destroy. another game I return to all the time.

Zero5- great graphics and frantic shooting, a real thumb nummer, it's still very hard, but I still go back to it for some good action. (with the cheat codes any level can be played) Rapid fire controller or arcade stick with real arcade buttons recommended for this one.

Super Burnout- fast, smooth racing, even on two player, a classic

World Tour Racing- this one has it's problems and some tracks the frame rate is slower than others, but even with racing games being one of my favorite genres and owning a ton on newer systems, I keep going back to this one for the pure racing fun!

honorable mention: Battlesphere, not as fun as it used to be, but that would change if I could get another copy (for cheap-NOT) and play it networked. I still think this game has some of the best dogfighting action and A.I. on games of it's type even today, but I don't play it nearly as much as I used too. It's hard for me to want to spend well over $100 for this or BSG anymore, so I don't think that networking thing is going to happen except at jagfests, maybe. if it had only had split screen battles(like SW2K), it would have made all the difference in the world, but I had too wait so long, I just plain lost interest.

honorable mention: Tempest 2000- I don't play this one much anymore either, but it's still fun to balst the sound system with it and get in a long game of it once in a while.

honorable mention- Missle Command 3D- great game, great graphics, but too short and i don't play it much anymore cause I've been there done that, over and over and over.

Still those last three will keep a newbie happy for a few months/years, but it's been LONG years for me with them now, and I just don't get the "urge" to play them anymore like I used to as much, not like the top ten games anyway. it's all about fun, and those are the ones I have the most fun with.

I don't actually have 10 games, but of what i have,

1.Defender 2000 - Use the radar, and get a shield - that is all

(also Plasma Pong is a great 2 player)

2.Tempest 2000

I need to buy more games, but those are good and well played.

I once owned but had to sell and have not replaced yet

3.Alien Vs Predator

4.Ruiner Pinball

5.Doom

1. Wolfenstein 3D (my top favourite game :D )

2. Alien vs. Predator (like W3D, but slow)

3. Iron Soldier

4. DOOM!

5. Atari Karts (best race game on the Jag)

6. Tempest 2000

7. Dragon - The Bruce Lee Story

8. International Sensible Soccer

9. Checkered Flag

10. Cybermorph (You can say, what you want, but this game isn't bad :D )

Mike

My favorite games, (All of the following represents my very humble opinion and observations ONLY)

Doom: Still one of the best versions around IMHO. I haven't seen a version that does the shading and the lighting as well as the Jaguar.

Tempest 2k: Nice and fast. Cool effects. This is to me a great fast paced shooter. Been stuck on lvl 63 for like, couple years. Downside is it can get a wee bit repetitive.

Rayman: I think this game is beautiful graphically even by todays standards. If you like Platformers I definitely recommend this. This may be one of the most well designed games of all time. The only drawback for me, is the the game is all colorful and candyland looking in a lot of places. My tastes run towards the more gothic and mysterious. Like the backgrounds in the Mortal Kombats, or Castlevanias.

Battlemorph: A nice 3d shooter on the Jag and worth it if you can get it for a decent price. I have some issues with the effort I perceive was put into the game, but still a good Jag game.

AvP: This game scared the hell out of me. The first time I was on the alien ship, my heart was pounding. That is not an exaggeration. The atmosphere of this game is incredible. I have played AvP2 on the PC and while graphically all pretty and modern, it seems to be no scarier than Quake. AvP on the Jag gets my vote for perhaps scariest video game of all time.

Zoop: If you like puzzle games of the Tetris genre, snag this one. It's a pretty addicting game.

Myst: IMO a damn good version of this game, and I have the PC version of this game also.

Pinball Fantasies: Alright now, here we go. If you like Pinball even a little bit, grab this one. This one is a favorite of mine and all my friends. They would come over and bring their N64s and Playstations, and end up wanting to play Pinball Fantasies all night. Unlimited replay value. However, a bug in the game makes it add 10 million to the score after you hit 200 million or something like that.

Ultra Vortek; This game is pretty cool. Seems a little clunky, but probably from developers groping in the dark on the Jag with no help from Atari. The biggest problem with Ultra Vortek IMHO is the characters and storyline are unfamiliar to most people. Most people are familiar with Rayden, Sub-zero and Scorpion etc, and the stories behind them, from all the hype over the years and playing them in the Arcade. There is no such familiarity with the newbie playing UV.

World Tour Racing: Good racer. Lots of tracks. The AI in this game to me is very well done. I think these guys did a damn good job for their first time on the Jag. At least that was my understanding that it was their first time working with the Jag. Split screen suffers from slowdown and loss of control. And I like more opponents such as DaytonaUSA has. Oddly enough, it seems the last 4 or so tracks the control and smoothness on 2 player gets better(????). Maybe I'm hallucinating that.

Checkered Flag:

Towers II: a decent 3d role player, what little I've played of it. I've been stuck in the room with the thieves and the chains since like '97. Uses 3d bitmaps like JagDoom but is not in the same league graphically. Not by a long shot.

Vid Grid: I thought a puzzle game with music videos would be stupid, but I found it to be fun as hell. My friends and I use to get a little bit drunk on the weekends and play this trying to beat each others time on it. Good party game. And its got Ozzy on it. You gotta love that.

Blue lightning: A decent game. Nowhere near what it should of been, but its free with JagCD so suck it up.

NBA JAM TE: If you are a fan of NBA Jam, get this one. Best version around.

Oh yeah, Club Drive. I kinda like this game if you can get it cheap and play it with a friend who is a Jag enthusiast its kind of a kick in the pants.

Highlander CD: A cool adventure game and only ALONE IN THE DARK style game for the Jaguar. I got stuck in one area of the game, and my CD stopped reading the cartridge. Sent it back to get fixed. Highlander CD met with untimely end before I could get back into the game.

I'm drawing a blank on anything else right now.

I'm missing a bunch but this is off the top of my head.

Some games I havent played and cannot comment on: Battlesphere; Primal Rage; AtariKarts; rage rally or whatever. Soccer Kid; Skyhammer.

I dunno if thats ten or not. :D Uh, are you using these posts to help you decide what to buy?? That was my impression. I'm probably mistaken. :P

Tempest 2k : I just got this one and found myself announcing to the room, "I'm in love again."

Cybermorph : Those who say common != good game are wrong IMO

Zoop : A cute, but overly simple puzzle game.

Rayman : its beautiful!

Ruiner / Fantasies pinball : Video pinball... GOOD!

Bubsy : I like it, but I am rotten at this game.

Now If they did Mr. Driller for the Jag... Well, that' would be a happy thing.

Hex.

[ It's Lorne, the friend for life.... ]

Alien Vs. Predator

Tempest 2k

Battlesphere  

Ultra Vortek

Atari Karts

Total Carnage

Rayman

Missile Command 3-d

Defender 2k

Robinson's Requiem

:)

Jason

:idea: I think he is looking for list from us of games HE can actually get, Jay, (TC? ;) ), hopefully he WILL be able to get RR soon though, along with the rest of us! :D

My favorite ten games:

Worms: lot's of fun when played with 4 people

Ultra vortek: great single and two player mode

DOOM: very good only the network bug is bad.

Zero 5: Very good 3D shooter

Raiden: Nice also nice as 2 player game

Painter: very cool

Defender 2000: Hard to play but cool

Tempest 2000: a real classic and lot's of fun

Super burnout: nice racing game good graphics, nice 2 player mode

World Tour Racing: Very cool car racing game also good 2 player mode

I've only got 3 games myself. :(

1 - Wolfenstien 3d

2 - Checkered Flag

3 - Cybermorph

And while Checkered Flag might not really be better then Cybermorph, I like racing games more then flying games, so there you go. :)

When you like racing games you should buy World Tour Racing it's very good 500% better then checkered flag...

My favorite ten games:

Worms: lot's of fun when played with 4 people

Ultra vortek: great single and two player mode

DOOM: very good only the network bug is bad.

Zero 5: Very good 3D shooter

Raiden: Nice also nice as 2 player game

Painter: very cool

Defender 2000: Hard to play but cool

Tempest 2000: a real classic and lot's of fun

Super burnout: nice racing game good graphics, nice 2 player mode

World Tour Racing: Very cool car racing game also good 2 player mode

Wow i'm surprised Aircars isn't on your list ;)

1. Power Drive Rally (fun game, not what i expected, but good nonetheless)

2. Raiden (almost as good as the arcade)

3. Attack of the Mutant Penguins (fun while it lasts, if only it had music)

4. Dino Dudes (fun if you like puzzle games, can get it for cheap too)

5. Double Dragon 5 (pretty good but play the SNES version instead)

6. Zool 2 ( pretty decent platformer)

These are the games thati played regularly, i have others but that are not really worth mentioning: well with Tempest most people like it but i dont and Bubsy sucks and Checkered Flag is not good

The 10 games I enjoy the most on the Jaguar. These are *not* in real 1- 10 ranking as I might play nothing but Iron Soldier for a week, making it #1, then switch to Painter, then switch to Doom, etc etc... these are just the 10 games I've enjoyed the most:

1. Iron Soldier I & II - strategy required in this game and I can play it again and again

2. Raiden - love shooters though this one blisters my fingers

3. Painter - addicting as hell and again strategy required. Grids are deviously designed and extremely creative

4. Missile Command 3D - as good and addictive as the original. Wish there was a trackball

5. Rayman - great platformer no matter what system its on

6. Battlesphere - excellent space combat

7. Doom - I love FPS's and this game rocks!

8. Wolfenstein - another FPS and excellent

9. Tempest 2000 - what can you say.. graphics, music, & gameplay make this game playable over and over and over and....

10. Protector SE - I like it better than Defender 2K and find in much more playable.

Honorable Mention:

Breakout 2K

Battlemorph

Cannon Fodder

Worms

Most Disappointing Jag Game:

Theme Park - I love sim games and looked forward to this but the fact that you cannot save your park (only money) ruined this game for me and is only still in my possesion for "collecting" purposes. Text is very hard to read also.

Mendon

I can't really put the top ten games I like most in any particular order, but here's the ones I like:

AvP- Even after five years it's still an awesome game and since it's such a huge game I can't always remember where everything is, so it's always a challenge.

Doom- I love deathmatch on this(I challenge anyone!) and I can't wait for JagDoom+ (if it ever comes out)

BattleSphere - I 'd still love to play this game networked (do I need to sign up on some list to get BSG? I need a copy of that) but in Single player it's still awesome

HyperForce - One of the better 2d action side-scrolling games for the Jag.

Tempest 2k - I'm not as good as I used to be at it, but it never gets old.

Iron Soldier 1&2 - I love these games, it's a lot of fun to crush everything in your path (literally!). Unfortunately my copy of IS2 no longer works due to a few scratches :_( . Does anyone even sell it anymore??

BattleMorph - Star Fox killer, nuff said.

Worms - just fun to play over and over and over....

Zero 5 - It's just intense and I love it. :twisted:

Protector- Fun and addicting, good replay value.

Honorable Mention- :)

Towers 2

Brutal Sports Football

MC3D

Native(hopefully James Garvin will finish this one before too long)

I haven't had a chance to play Painter yet. BI/WN would have made a great game as well had it been finished... :sad:

Adam