IGNORED

Anyone know what's up with Audacity Games?

Mockduck

IDK.. the way I see it.. They were the rock stars of videogames in the 70's and 80's. But not today. Bitd the medium was new and every game had the potential to be a hit just because it was different from the rest. Everyone wanted an Atari 2600. And that meant millions of people buying a system. Millions more watching and perhaps wanting. Audience was huge! Every cartridge the came out had those millions looking it over and buying.

Today the whole 2600 scene is dead except for a few thousand enthusiasts. We're the only ones willing to go through the trouble of doing what it takes to play these games in this day and age of mega-conveniences and instant downloads on fonz. Only a subset of us are into spending money on vintage hardware. And subset of that subset buys new pricey games. Provided we have an interest in the game and know how/where to go about buying it in the first place.

A huge portion of what drives us to get 2600 games is nostalgia. And there are plenty of carts and roms available already to tickle the itch. And they're the ones we know and love. Those are going to be scooped up first.

IMHO we've drilled down into nicheland as far as our rig can go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vinniet said:

I really wish Audacity would sell digital versions of their games.  I just want to play them and do not want the cart.  Just like 8-bit guy sells digital version for $10.

That would be a very nice option, or at the very least give me a cart only option like the Atariage store.

Another thought I was having after listening to a couple of interviews done with the three Wizards of Activision, I wonder if Al could use there new cart shells for his homebrews?  Also, would it be more cost effective?

3 hours ago, adamchevy said:

I wonder if Al could use there new cart shells for his homebrews?  Also, would it be more cost effective?

If I remember correctly, the prices on their shells was very high.  I think that Al is trying to go for something more cost effective.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Why not? Cart only releases are addressing people who only want to play the cart. And that's what a homebrewer really wants.

My point wasn't to knock cart only releases (that's how I buy most of my homebrews), but that Audacity is unlikely to offer that option since they see themselves as a commercial enterprise rather than a homebrew operation. I am a little surprised they haven't offered digital purchases though. The limited edition version of Circus Convoy came with a digital download, so it's not like they are adverse to digital distribution.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, KaeruYojimbo said:

The limited edition version of Circus Convoy came with a digital download, so it's not like they are adverse to digital distribution.

True, at least as applies to the $99-and-up versions.  Thing is, it doesn't seem to me that they entirely trust their customers in those price ranges, either.  From their pricing page:

A digital copy of the game, personalized for exclusive use by its owner, is included with each Collector Edition.

In other words: each digital copy can potentially be tied to a purchaser, so if anyone distributes their digital copy they can point a finger in the direction of someone who may be responsible for spreading it.

Not intending to go down the rabbit holes of DRM or other related issues with this; just pointing it out.  And I do get where they're coming from, but in the absence of a statement to the contrary suspect that this is copy protection under the guise of personalisation.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

In other words: each digital copy can potentially be tied to a purchaser, so if anyone distributes their digital copy they can point a finger in the direction of someone who may be responsible for spreading it.

Not intending to go down the rabbit holes of DRM or other related issues with this; just pointing it out.  And I do get where they're coming from, but in the absence of a statement to the contrary suspect that this is copy protection under the guise of personalisation.

I was aware of that. Champ Games does something similar with their digital releases, presumably for the same reasons and I have no problem with that. I'm not under the illusion that it's anything other than copy protection and I'm not one of those people who thinks buying a copy of a game gives me the right to spread copies to Timbuktu and back. I just find it curious that Audacity has held back on offering digital sales even though they've done the work to create a copy protection system. It's a good way to offer a lower entry point to people who want to play the game without compromising their "we're not homebrew" stance.

• Like 3

We're on the same page.  Briefly:

7 minutes ago, KaeruYojimbo said:

I just find it curious that Audacity has held back on offering digital sales even though they've done the work to create a copy protection system. It's a good way to offer a lower entry point to people who want to play the game without compromising their "we're not homebrew" stance.

That's something I've never really understood either.  There are very few games I tend to go for on cartridge simply due to physical space, but there are tons I'd love to be able to spend $10 on for a digital copy.  If it's protected (or signed, etc.) in such a way as to identify me as the purchaser, this is a case where I'm really not going to be too upset by that.

• Like 4

I just went ahead and purchased the full version, but it would have been nice to have the option. Its not so much a space issue for most people, more of a cost issue.  I don't mind spending $60 on a good game, but I cant afford to do that for every good game that comes along.  If this was my only hobby in life then maybe, but most people have multiple interests. 

• Like 2