IGNORED

5200 VCS Adaptor Mod - Missing Step?

lionheartviii

I was wondering if anyone has successfully installed the VCS mod on a 4-port 5200. I've scoured the past forum posts but seem to always find a dead end. I'm using the kit provided by Console5 (https://console5.com/store/atari-5200-4-port-vcs-compatibility-mod-kit.html) and using their attached instructions that look like the original installation guide from Atari themselves. 

I've noticed that in Step 6 J-K, a red jumper wire is attached to L8 and routed underneath the console, then when going to Step 7, it no longer exists and adds a completely new red wire. It doesn't say where to solder the other end of the original red wire from Step 6. 

I buttoned everything up the best I could and left the original red jumper unattached and continued with the instructions. Needless to say, the VCS adaptor doesn't work, but 5200 games still work fine. I only get a black screen with the VCS adaptor attached.

A couple things to note: 

• I've done the power mod that eliminates the switch box. Unsure if this takes away from compatibility of the VCS mod.

• The adaptor is untested, so it could very well be the issue. 

• I've went over and over several times checking my work and making sure pin 24 is isolated. All seem to check out. 

Any advice or suggestions is more than welcome. I know this mod is almost useless owning a 2600 and 7800 anyway, but the 5200 is just really cool to me. 

Okay. the instructions are a bit confusing I agree.

So if you look at the 4th page near the top it tells you where the other end of the red and black wire you passed through the opening of the catridge port attach.

The other end of the red wire to goes to pin 11 of the cart port and the other end of the black wire goes to pin 24 of the cart port.

The reason you see it listed a second time, is for those that might rather route the wiring for the black and red on the bottom of the PCB vs the top and that is actually how I would have done it. I've seen it done both ways.

Also you made sure to isolate pin 24 off the cart port as specified at the beginning of the doc correct?

Thanks for the reply! I was actually looking over your videos on Youtube to see if there was a guide. 

I have made sure pin 24 is isolated and checked continuity with a multimeter. Looks like my original reading was off, but it is for sure isolated now. 

I also went ahead and soldered the red jumper from pin 11 to L8 on the bottom of the motherboard like you said you would do. 

Unfortunately, I'm getting the same results. 

*Edit: Actually have a slightly different result after ensuring pin 24 is isolated. Before I would get a completely black screen, but now I do get some static, along with the black screen. And with the 5200 powered on without a cartridge, I get a reddish screen.

Do you know if the power mod would have broke this mod? Everything else looks to be working and in the right spot. The only thing I can think of now is the VCS adaptor is faulty since it hasn't been tested. 

Edited by lionheartviii

The power mod wouldn't affect the VCS adapter no. All the power mod is doing is removing the stuff that isolated the power and video along the single RF cable so you don't have to rely on that switchbox. You are still applying the direct + PSU voltage to the same trace it was on originally and the - to the same place as well. 

I now AV upgrades will kill the VCS adapter as the upgrades usually intercept the video signals and prevent the adapter from working. But aside from that I'm not sure. I've never installed the VCS adapter modification because all of the 5200 services I've gotten in were to get them back to working order and then install UAVs into them LOL! I do warn my clients about the VCS functionality no longer working when doing this and the answer is the same...

'I've got a 2600 to play 2600 games on, I don't ever plan to use the VCS adapter". That is pretty much the same thing everyone has said and that includes me! LOL.

In fact, the 5200 I'm finishing up now is one of the later made 4 ports with the built in VCS adapter compatibility already in place and I've been tasked with putting a UAV into it so that asterisk on the Serial sticker won't mean anything anymore after I finished it up. 

8 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

'I've got a 2600 to play 2600 games on, I don't ever plan to use the VCS adapter". That is pretty much the same thing everyone has said and that includes me! LOL.

Oh, the horror!  I thought everyone used their VCS Cartridge Adaptor.?

5200 wVCS Adaptor.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

5200 wVCS Adaptor.jpg

You actually play 2600 games using your 5200? I know you have several stella decks to choose from and they at least include the BW/Color switch on them?!

2 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

You actually play 2600 games using your 5200? I know you have several stella decks to choose from and they at least include the BW/Color switch on them?!

This particular pic was when I first tested my adaptor.  Since then, its made a couple of appearances, during our game nights.  

17 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

The power mod wouldn't affect the VCS adapter no. All the power mod is doing is removing the stuff that isolated the power and video along the single RF cable so you don't have to rely on that switchbox. You are still applying the direct + PSU voltage to the same trace it was on originally and the - to the same place as well. 

I now AV upgrades will kill the VCS adapter as the upgrades usually intercept the video signals and prevent the adapter from working. But aside from that I'm not sure. I've never installed the VCS adapter modification because all of the 5200 services I've gotten in were to get them back to working order and then install UAVs into them LOL! I do warn my clients about the VCS functionality no longer working when doing this and the answer is the same...

In fact, the 5200 I'm finishing up now is one of the later made 4 ports with the built in VCS adapter compatibility already in place and I've been tasked with putting a UAV into it so that asterisk on the Serial sticker won't mean anything anymore after I finished it up. 

I'll keep tinkering around and see if I can find a 2-port to test the VCS adapter, but I thank you for all your help, and for the record, it was your youtube video that helped me with the power mod, so thanks!!

17 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

5200 wVCS Adaptor.jpg

What a beautiful beast...lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lionheartviii said:

I'll keep tinkering around and see if I can find a 2-port to test the VCS adapter, but I thank you for all your help, and for the record, it was your youtube video that helped me with the power mod, so thanks!!

Awesome! That is why I make them is to give detailed information on how to do these upgrades yourself and try and make them a little less intimidating. 

For the record, I originally made them for myself so I could go back and refer to them as my personal How To videos but then I figured they might help others as well who might find them now and in the future.

• 8 months later...

*my “red” wire is black. (I only had white and black 24awg). My actual black wire has tape over the diode, while the “red” is the long black one soldered to L8. Is it okay to cover the resistors and diodes with a fold of electrical tape? I didn’t think it would effect their function.

Hey lionheart, did you ever get the vcs adapter working. I’m in the same spot you are in and got an adapter that is giving me blue. 5200 work fine.

I have the red wire connected to L8 on the front and back of the PCB. Not sure if that’s throwing it off. I’ll try to disconnect the top, but I think it might be the adapter.

it showed up off eBay with the cart guard on backwards. Like they took it apart and forgot the switches on the VCS face foward when you pop it into the 5200… so that could very well be the issue.

Would having both the red wire connected on the top or bottom of board Cause the blue screen?

image.jpg

Edited by GarrettFranklin