IGNORED

AtariXP VCS Tie In

Mockduck

AtariXP has been announced and launched today as a company that will be releasing three prototype/unreleased 2600 games on actual 2600 carts. The $150 Limited Editions of these carts include download codes for the games on the VCS, although that bit is a bit confusing so I might update it later. I see in a promo email I just received that it claims, "All cartridges will include a digital copy of the game playable on the Atari VCS", while the web site does not list download codes for the Standard editions during checkout, and only lists the VCS download codes for the Limited editions:

Aquaventure

Saboteur

Yar's Return

https://atarixp.com/

All three games are currently available in two places: Atari Vault Volume 2, costs $5 in the VCS Store, and on Antstream Arcade for VCS owners (as part of the restricted Atari catalog). 

The not-Limited editions are $50 each + shipping, U.S. sales only, and are expected to arrive just about/in time for Christmas with shipping allegedly starting December 13th for standard editions only. Early 2022 for Limited edition shipping.

I picked up Aquaventure standard cuz that game rules. Dunno on the rest, it's a bit pricey for me at the moment....

• Like 3

It was not at all clear to me that this was really from Atari, but apparently it is.
This will also attract some more attention to AtariAge's 2600 homebrew releases I think.
https://www.atari.com/atarixp-launches-new-game-cartridge-initiative-with-the-release-of-three-never-published-titles/

2 hours ago, zzip said:

And all 3 games are in Vault #2, so how does including a VCS download code sweeten the deal in any way?

I guess the only thing that might be interesting to me about that would be that it implies adding 2600 games to the dashboard. Though I suppose it would be trivial if they already have MAME on the system. But hopefully this is a preview of more Atari systems getting standalone game releases.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jstrotha0975 said:

The 2600 Atari XP thread was closed, I don't know why. Unless Atariage see's them as a threat to their business?

What?  The thread linked above is the main Atari XP thread, and it's still open and has over 100 comments thus far.  I have closed two other threads that people created so we don't have several of these threads running in parallel (one of the closed threads was even created in the same forum as the above thread).

..Al

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Albert said:

What?  The thread linked above is the main Atari XP thread, and it's still open and has over 100 comments thus far.  I have closed two other threads that people created so we don't have several of these threads running in parallel (one of the closed threads was even created in the same forum as the above thread).

..Al

My intention to separate this thread out into the VCS section is to specifically talk about how this will connect to the VCS and related matters. I'd expect it to be a sub thread to the main thread, with a focus on just the VCS bit.

UPDATES:

AtariXP on Twitter replied to someone and stated that both Standard and Limited editions of the game cartridges will come with a VCS download code. Will source when I can.

There is still some confusion over boxes: Technically, the Standard edition has a photo of the cart and a box, implying you would receive both, but the press release states: "Standard Edition cartridges which include only the respective Atari 2600 cartridge, will retail for 49.99 USD."

Technically the Limited doesn't say it comes with a box, either, but surely it does. So ??? 

My - guess - is that Atari will create standalone skus for the VCS Store that people can download the games from, with the games being the same as those offered in Atari Vault Volume 2. Vault Volume 2 is only $5, though, and comes with all three. 

There is also an issue with improperly crediting Howard Scott Warshaw for Yar's Return, but that discussion is best handled in the main thread. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

My - guess - is that Atari will create standalone skus for the VCS Store that people can download the games from, with the games being the same as those offered in Atari Vault Volume 2. Vault Volume 2 is only $5, though, and comes with all three. 

My guess is we'll see a flurry of "I have a VCS code for XXX, PM me" messages on various forums.    I think these offering are aimed at hardcore collectors,  the kind of people who like everything to be physical.   People with VCSs can get all 3 much cheaper.   I'm guessing there will only be a handful of people who want the cart/box AND the VCS code.

Discussion re: AtariXP has another thread.

General emulation discussion (which is not VCS-specific related) has another thread,
but is widely discussed in the other related forums, where better detail is provided.

Closing this thread until something more factual about AtariXP VCS codes is announced.