IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

Did anyone archive or screenshot? The link is gone and it seems the thread has been wiped from that subreddit.

Ugghhh... when are crowdfunding creators going to understand that this kind of secrecy does them no favors?

Edit: never mind, the other thread has it:

https://i.imgur.com/RiOWTwx.png

Edited by StopDrop&Retro
  • Like 2

From a games perspective, what can this possibly offer outside the Nintendo E-shop type indie games for casual, low end stuff? Any of that stuff is available on every similar outlet on most systems. Even in the highly unlikely event Atari SA has any kind of exclusive release, it's on Linux so it will show up elsewhere anyway. They can't even offer Tempest 4000 exclusive to their whatever, or even in the first year of release. It looks like Bill L.'s observation before any of this went public still holds true. There's no there there.

• Like 1

From a games perspective, what can this possibly offer outside the Nintendo E-shop type indie games for casual, low end stuff? Any of that stuff is available on every similar outlet on most systems. Even in the highly unlikely event Atari SA has any kind of exclusive release, it's on Linux so it will show up elsewhere anyway. They can't even offer Tempest 4000 exclusive to their whatever, or even in the first year of release. It looks like Bill L.'s observation before any of this went public still holds true. There's no there there.

What's interesting is that if you read some of the comments outside of gaming circles, even some of the people who wanted to use it as a Linux set top box are underwhelmed by the specs (with the big caveat that we don't know if those are in fact the real specs), particularly considering this is more than a year out from release. I still think that that particular audience (and those with a hacker mindset in general) will want to do something with this, but it would be interesting if they lost a portion of that key market as well. That would leave primarily fans of the logo and those who few who feel they want an alternative to the mass market stuff from Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft, or a traditional PC setup. I guess we'll see soon enough what the hooks are, if any, when the crowdfunding goes live.

• Like 4

What's interesting is that if you read some of the comments outside of gaming circles, even some of the people who wanted to use it as a Linux set top box are underwhelmed by the specs (with the big caveat that we don't know if those are in fact the real specs), particularly considering this is more than a year out from release. I still think that that particular audience (and those with a hacker mindset in general) will want to do something with this, but it would be interesting if they lost a portion of that key market as well. That would leave primarily fans of the logo and those who few who feel they want an alternative to the mass market stuff from Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft, or a traditional PC setup. I guess we'll see soon enough what the hooks are, if any, when the crowdfunding goes live.

It's still much more powerful than any Raspberry Pi and relatively low-powered, so I can see people using for tasks that a Pi can't handle.

Who was expecting ground-breaking? It was always going to be a couple hundred bucks and not a PS4/Xbox1 killer

Once again, the "couple hundred bucks" only applies to the early bird Onyx without controller. Bundles with #realwood and controllers are going to be at the Xbox One/PS4 price point.

It's still much more powerful than any Raspberry Pi and relatively low-powered, so I can see people using for tasks that a Pi can't handle.

Perhaps, but a Pi starts at $5.

Yeah, and you can already order this for $129 to run any Windows or Linux anything you want. While the Celeron may not be a workhorse CPU, it will run circles around the Pi, and offer more compatibility that anything Atari SA is cooking up. Also, let's be honest, these type things are not going to be used to run the latest high end games.

• Like 1

So we are set for a 9:00am Eastern launch on IndieGoGo. Looks like they are trying to juice early adopters as well by having some kind of "secret perk" for those who follow the link as soon as it goes live.

Another bit of new info is that the wood front version is being called a "collector's edition", will be $299, and does come with a classic joystick (thankfully, at least there's that for the extra money.)

post-6867-0-27787800-1527637942.jpg

We'll see if the Reddit specs are accurate, although it's likely they are.

• Like 1

That would leave primarily fans of the logo and those who few who feel they want an alternative to the mass market stuff from Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft, or a traditional PC setup.

Er, Nintendo offers the family friendly "alternative" to the Sony/MS solutions.

PC gamers spend thousands of dollars on top end systems. Steam / GOG offer alternatives and as well many PC and/or Steam games are open to modders / hackers as far as offline content goes.

That leaves Atari Box, um, Vee Cee Ess Too Point Ohh, to cater to the retro collector crowd with a device that's neither retro nor high end.

Linus fans are underwhelmed. Steam fans are underwhelmed. Console fans are underwhelmed. Retro gaming fans are by and large uninterested, and fans of classic Atari might even take offense to the name. Perhaps "Atari Next" if "Box" too closely resembled "Xbox"? I like "next" better. Doesn't rely as much on exploiting retro fanbase as "V.C.S." Though one could technically call it a "Video Computer System" and not be guilty of false advertising.

Who is their primary market for this device? It's less powerful than a first gen Xbone or PS4 with a comparible price range. The ship has sailed for "microconsoles" with mobile games on TV. Ouya was the first, and while it ultimately was regarded a commercial failure, it was still second most successful next to Shield. Google, Apple, and Amazon all put out their own versions of the all-in-one box, which focused primarily on streaming apps but offered games as well, only to be usurped by Ruko TVs and Smart BluRay players with no need of a second standalone streaming "box". Nintendo Switch took the Shield base hardware and added motion controls, hybrid gaming, and Nintendo IP to great critical acclaim and commercial success, possibly legitimizing ARM architecture in the console arena.

Like the RetroVGS / Chameleon, it's another "mee too" console looking for an audience that doesn't exist, with no guarantee that a successful crowdfunding campaign will result in a successful product launch... :roll:

So we are set for a 9:00am Eastern launch on IndieGoGo. Looks like they are trying to juice early adopters as well by having some kind of "secret perk" for those who follow the link as soon as it goes live.

Another bit of new info is that the wood front version is being called a "collector's edition", will be $299, and does come with a classic joystick (thankfully, at least there's that for the extra money.)

attachicon.gifatariwoodversion.jpg

We'll see if the Reddit specs are accurate, although it's likely they are.

They can keep their console. All I want is the slick looking joystick. If they have a low priced "controller only" teir, that's what I'll be backing. At this time I have zero interest in the actual console.

• Like 1

So they did hit their very low and flexible goal of 100,000 in just a few minutes, and have more than 2600 backers at the moment. :) The tech specs are on the page. Pretty good $29 price point for just the classic controller. For the Collector's wood edition, after taxes, with a classic joystick, after shipping, is about $329. I got one (of course.)

The release date is listed as July 2019, which certainly doesn't sound like "spring" to me. :)

Overall, things seem to be off to a good start. The biggest bummer so far is the low RAM spec, as that's not a lot for a modern console or computer.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/atari-vcs-game-stream-connect-like-never-before-computers-pc

Are the Pi Zeros obtainable now? I tried for months, they'd sell out in seconds.

MicroCenter always has them, but only for walk-in customers. Look at how they scale the pricing if you try to buy more than one. I wish Nintendo had this kind of anti-scalper protocol for their Classic Mini toys.

post-2410-0-10056700-1527691321_thumb.png

• Like 2

Holy cow... for those who haven't been following the Indiegogo pre-order campaign, in the first day the VCS blew past it's $100,000 funding goal and has racked up a whopping 1.7 million dollars in funding already! :o

And yet only a total of 4200 or so consoles have been ordered with over 1300 backers opting not to receive any perks at all. Something is off here.

• Like 3