IGNORED

5200 4 Part Quality Of Life Improvements?

Steve_G

19 hours ago, Steve_G said:

Hello, i went in the deep end and now own both a 5200 and 7800. Are there any Quality of Life improvements for a 5200 that don't require soldering? My skills aren't quite there yet to solder on a PCB like a 5200. 

I added the Sophia RGB to mine.  I actually can't remember if there was any soldering, I think there were a few wires?  I think most people get a UAV or maybe the newer Sophia in it.  I wanted RGB for SCART :)  I am sure there are others who can pop up to suggest someone to do the install for you.  (I would say if you're in the USA, I could do it, but I'm a notorious procrastinator).

• Like 2

Yeah, the key thing here is that you are wanting to know about upgrades that don't require soldering and that really isn't possible. The Sophia I believe is just a matter of popping out the GTIA chip from the socket and then inserting the sophia, but you still have to cut an opening for the DVI output connector at minimum or I guess you could run it outside the expansion plate area and just leave it dangling?

The UAV is an excellent option for AV upgrade, but there is some soldering required plus running wire and installing jacks for the AV. Or again, if you didn't want to cut the case, you could get a decent quality composite/s-video + audio combo cable, cut the ends and solder those wires and running it out the expansion port.

And yes, if you are in the US there are several of us that offer these services including myself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Yeah, the key thing here is that you are wanting to know about upgrades that don't require soldering and that really isn't possible. The Sophia I believe is just a matter of popping out the GTIA chip from the socket and then inserting the sophia, but you still have to cut an opening for the DVI output connector at minimum or I guess you could run it outside the expansion plate area and just leave it dangling?

The UAV is an excellent option for AV upgrade, but there is some soldering required plus running wire and installing jacks for the AV. Or again, if you didn't want to cut the case, you could get a decent quality composite/s-video + audio combo cable, cut the ends and solder those wires and running it out the expansion port.

And yes, if you are in the US there are several of us that offer these services including myself.

I designed and 3d printed an expansion port holder for the RGB version.  Pretty sure there is a DVI sized one on Thingiverse :) 

Edit: here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4730986

Edited by leech
  • Like 1

If only I had a 3D printer....

Is there also covers for standard RCA jacks? Not that it matters too much as I have a template I use currently for 5200 installs to drill through the actual expansion cover. But if that exists then I assume replacement expansion covers also exist? I've a need for a few of those and could maybe send the files to someone to have 3D prints made.

3 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

If only I had a 3D printer....

Is there also covers for standard RCA jacks? Not that it matters too much as I have a template I use currently for 5200 installs to drill through the actual expansion cover. But if that exists then I assume replacement expansion covers also exist? I've a need for a few of those and could maybe send the files to someone to have 3D prints made.

You provide enough help to the community, I would be willing to print you some.  I think my own design was a little week in the clips, so should probably tweak it a little.

On 11/23/2021 at 3:40 PM, leech said:

I added the Sophia RGB to mine.  I actually can't remember if there was any soldering, I think there were a few wires?  I think most people get a UAV or maybe the newer Sophia in it.  I wanted RGB for SCART :)  I am sure there are others who can pop up to suggest someone to do the install for you.  (I would say if you're in the USA, I could do it, but I'm a notorious procrastinator).

+1 for installing a Sophia RGB kit.  Great improvement to the picture

4 hours ago, rayik said:

+1 for installing a Sophia RGB kit.  Great improvement to the picture

The only problem I had with mine right away was the sound output wasn't as loud.  I think I had to change a setting in the OSSC for it to be better though.  I still need to try out the Retrotink 5x Pro...

3 hours ago, leech said:

The only problem I had with mine right away was the sound output wasn't as loud.  I think I had to change a setting in the OSSC for it to be better though.  I still need to try out the Retrotink 5x Pro...

Depending on where you tapped the audio from, that shouldn't be an issue. My 5200 is louder than nearly all of my other consoles. But I tap the audio from the top of R50 in addition to another 2k resistor and 10µf cap off that to the RCAs. That 2k resistor I feel is needed as the signal is too hot without it, at least to my ears.

The CV, TurboDuo, and my Jaguar are the quietest consoles however through  their AV setups.

1 minute ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Depending on where you tapped the audio from, that shouldn't be an issue. My 5200 is louder than nearly all of my other consoles. But I tap the audio from the top of R50 in addition to another 2k resistor and 10µf cap off that to the RCAs. That 2k resistor I feel is needed as the signal is too hot without it, at least to my ears.

The CV, TurboDuo, and my Jaguar are the quietest consoles however through  their AV setups.

It's been so long, I probably did that following your advice many years ago :P  Sounds like as good as any time to fire it up and see if the audio was indeed fixed.  I only remember it being an actual issue.  I still should probably do the mod for making the VCS adapter work on my 4-port, but as I have a 2600 and 7800, didn't think I should really bother.

Far as I know, if you have any AV upgrades in place, you aren't going to be able to use the VCS adapter on the 5200. Technically in theory with the way I do the UAVs since I solder the socket on top of the 4050 for the UAV, I would think the VCS adapter would still work through the RF as normal but I don't own one to test this. 

2 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Far as I know, if you have any AV upgrades in place, you aren't going to be able to use the VCS adapter on the 5200. Technically in theory with the way I do the UAVs since I solder the socket on top of the 4050 for the UAV, I would think the VCS adapter would still work through the RF as normal but I don't own one to test this. 

My RF still works with the Sophia RGB mod installed.  I still need to figure out how to get the composite output on my 130XE with the VBXE installed, as I'd still like it to be the most compatible system I own.

On 11/23/2021 at 5:44 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

I might think about it, once i get the system cosmetically where i want, someone in the past put velcro on the metal and while removing it i pulled up the strip. But, it is something i am willing to do with it, since i've fallen in love with the system.