IGNORED

Classic Hockey games

Brad2600

Since there is a thread on Baseball games for classic systems, I'd thought I'd post one for Hockey games.

I love the Hockey games that came out for the NES...especially Blades of Steel. It's a toss up between that and Ice Hockey but I find that Ice Hockey requires a bit more skill and as a result, I find it difficult to beat. Blades of Steel has more of an arcade feel to it.

How do you like YOUR hockey?

blades of steel was awesome for the NES, i loved that game, and the gradius mini game kicked ass too.

Ice Hockey was ok, i didnt play it alot, but it had a nice setup, and some cool basic strategy with the selection of skaters (skinny, average, fat)

NHL 94 on the genesis and Sega CD was awesome. although, i figured out how to score every time with certain players, it became too easy, but multiplayer was brutal, and it paid off to learn how to manipulate your own goalie :)

Well, I honestly used to love Activision's Ice Hockey for the 2600. The fact that you could "check" opposing players (sort of) was a hoot. It's still a great two player game. But my favorite classic system hockey game would have to be Blades of Steel for the NES. NES Ice Hockey was a great game too, but being more of a fan of arcade action, I always favored Blades of Steel.

Well i wont name any for the Genesis because i have them all :D

TG16 - TV Sports Hockey - awesome game and it was the reason i sold off most of my NES collection back then so i could buy a TG16 and the hockey game, the 2 player option was great because you could both be on the same team and kick some ass :D

ok i lied i have to mention Muntant League Hockey for the Gen

a must have for any hockey fan

other then the occasional PS1 and DC hockey, i will stick with the old school games forever, the modern ones i dont really care for to much

Blades of Steel was great. The best part to me, was the shoot out.

Ice Hockey was good also. I always used 1 fat guy 1 skinny guy and

the rest were the average (or short) guy.

My favorite hockey game, with out a doubt, is NHL 93 for Genesis. 8)

I used to win the cup with the Sharks (Pat Falloon, Kelly Kisio,

Dale Craigwell, Doug Wilson, Neil Wilkenson, Arturs Irbe and co.) :D

Ironic, I'm listening to Warren Zevon's "Hit Somebody (The Hockey Song)" right now!!

My favorite is 2600 Ice Hockey, it was my first Activision patch game :D

Ice Hockey on NES, no goalie code, super puck code, 4 fat guys...RAWK!!!!

Genny - NHL 93 no contest :)

SNES - NHL Stanley Cup, I liked that game when I first got it, it doesn't look good now, but it's still a fun game.

After that, the only one I have is NHL 2001 for the PS2...good game, my 'Lanche are undefeated 2 seasons straight :)

My favorite hockey game is still NHL 2K2 for the Dreamcast... frankly, I never thought sports games aged very well, and 2K2 is the only one I've found that has been at all realistic (EA hasn't made a good hockey game since NHL 99, and even that wasn't that great). I love hockey, and I have a hard time enjoying video hockey that isn't realistic... it just feels like any other arcade game.

However, I did like NHL 95 and Mario Lemieux Hockey for the Genesis (I still want to get Hockey for the Lynx... I think it's the same as Mario Lemieux Hockey). I used to play Hit The Ice and Open Ice (NBA Jam ripoff) in the arcades, although I sucked at both of them.

By the way, avoid NHL 2002 on the GBA like the plague. It is possibly the worst hockey game I've ever played. The speed is MUCH too fast (you can skate the length of the ice in about 3 seconds), and the whole game is just non-stop interference calls. I went out of my way to get this game because I wanted a good portable hockey game, but it was a complete waste of my money. Maybe I can find the original Gameboy Blades of Steel instead.

--Zero

Is a game like Blades of Steel even possible on the Atari systems?

Was there ever a Realsports Hockey?

I'm just curious.

A Blades of Steel type game could be possible on the 7800 for sure. 5200 is possible as well.

Making a good hockey game on the 2600 would be very difficult... getting enough players on screen without the game degenerating into Pele's Soccer would likely need some flicker in there. You'd definitely have to scroll vertically.

The 7800 of course has Hat Trick... although it's no Blades of Steel.

The INTV actually has a half-decent hockey game (NHL licensed even)... but you're better off sticking with the NES games.

--Zero

I used to like playing the hockey game on my friend's Intellivision. I never did beat him but it was a lot of fun playing the game :)

After that, I would have to say NHL 2001 for the PS2 since that is the only other hockey that I remember playing. I do have the Activision version of hockey in cart form as well as on the Activision Anthology CD but I don't play it very much.