IGNORED

Another gargled video thread

gmc

The continuing adventures of Frankennine.

Well, I cleaned up the membrane.

I put itsy bitsy copper traces across the questionable traces.

Reassembled the Frankennine

Turned it on... Nothing, nada, nix...

Put Frankennine back on the operating table and took out the keyboard.

Powered on...nothing.

Check the power to the power supply board. Nothing.

Pulled the brick up off the floor and got lightly burned from the brick (which three hours later was still too hot to handle).

Got out the brick that came with Frankennine and plugged it in. Dead.

Fortunately, I had the PS that came with on of the other two older 99's. Plugged it in and...

Joy to the world. Frankennines heart beat. Time to put it in.

Reassembled Frankennine and tested.

Two keys don't work. The number 7& and the U-. They share the same lines with some of the other functioning keys, so probably there is something on the membrane in that area.

Back to the operating table with Frankennine.

Oh and before I forget. Yes there are othe keyboards but I can get a whole 99 on ebay for about the same price. So, I'm gonna stick with my repair plan.

AND.... Unplug the brick when not in use.

• Like 3

Frankennine is alive.

I used a magnifying glass to inspect the membrane and found little clear plastic "dots" all over it. Coincidently perhaps, they are the same size as the holes in the mylar for the screws to pass through. Removed the dots, dusted down everything and reassembled. Now the space bar is a little touchy and I have to look at what I've typed to make sure there aren't to many characters.

I hooked up the 32k expansion and TIPI from Guardian and checked it out. Works great but like I said, iffy space bar and too many characters is the only issue(s) so far (aside from two dead power supplies).

I saw a Youtube about the keyboard repair where in these two ladies had replaced the brick and power supply with an external unit that bypasses the "Hot Plate" and brick. All I could find though was an Australian version that uses 230v. I might order one anyway.

One last thing. Did the beige 99's have a door on the expansion port? This one doesn't.

Edited by Duewester
spelling and grammer
  • Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 12:52 PM, Tursi said:

Shouldn't be too hard to find, there are hundreds of NOS keyboards out there. I think someone just recently posted a bunch on the facebook group.

those were the same membrane keyboards that likely don't work 

I've had a system repair option on my store for a while now, only one person has taken me up on swapping their keyboard. /shrug 

1 hour ago, arcadeshopper said:

those were the same membrane keyboards that likely don't work 

I've had a system repair option on my store for a while now, only one person has taken me up on swapping their keyboard. /shrug 

I'm a retired old cuss and like to do my own repairs (keeps me feelin young).

I've given up on the membrane. It changes every time I put it back together.

So...

I building an MX compatible keyboard.

Won't be able to use the TI keycaps (well I probably could but...) but, I have several sets of keycaps that I could experiment with. I've even got some round typewriter style keycaps, they're backlit though and I'm not sure Frankennine is worth the trouble to figure out adding leds. Maybe at a later date.

I have some Black Cherry MX keys (had 30 ordered 20 more)

Ordered the switches for the back (easier to solder to)

Building prototype key frame as we speak. Looks like I might have to some trim work on the opening in the case. One thing the membrane keypad has that I may repurpose is the two metal supports.

Ordered two keyboard wiring kits from @arcadeshopper (Never hurts to have spares when experimenting).

Oh, and I see that you have a bunch of FA18s. I have to look through my resources (this junked Frankennine is costing more than I care to think about) but, I'll probably just hold out for the Version 2.

• Like 2