IGNORED

Jungle Guide

Songbird

Hi,

To everyone who picked up a Jungle Guide #1 either at CGE or via mail-order in the last few weeks: I'm looking for some feedback on this. I've got another set of articles I'm pursuing, for games like Zero 5 and CyberVirus and Sokomania and World Tour Racing.

If you haven't really heard about the Jungle Guide yet, here's a brief summary page:

http://songbird-productions.com/jungle.shtml

Note that with the exception of some already-published cheats, this is all-new content. And there are no reviews; instead, the focus is on the background of how a game was developed and published, interviews with the developer(s), strategy tips, unpublished cheats, screen shots of hard-to-reach spots in the game, and so on.

I know in an ideal situation with a massive userbase, I could print all the articles in full-color and include a dozen or more games in a single issue for $5-10. I hope everyone understands why this is not feasible. :) And I know some people might prefer softcopy to hardcopy -- personally, I like hardcopy. If I'm going to browse the articles or actually look up a hint or cheat, I'd rather keep a book/binder next to my game collection rather than fire up the computer to look up something.

Do you like the Jungle Guide concept? Did you buy / will you buy the first issue? Would you buy future issues as long as they're at least equivalent in content and quality to the first one?

If enough people buy the first issue (read: at least 50), then I'll keep pursuing this, and hopefully release several more issues over the next 12-18 months.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Carl,

I picked up one at CGE (obviously) and read it after I got home, by candlelight, during the "Blackout of 2003."

I found it very interesting. I enjoyed the "behind the scenes" aspect the most. Getting to learn interesting tidbits of how and why a game got made, little anecdotes, etc. I hadn't heard many of them...hell, not sure if I had heard any of them prior to reading them in the Jungle Guide.

The cheats are always nice, especially if there are any new ones to add. I haven't tried any of them yet (tho I do own all the games in episode 1).

I say, make more! Especially if you can get me any hints or strategy for beating Sokomania! :D

I think it sounds neat and it's only $6, so what the hell I'll order one from you when I get the fundage necessary to make my first Songbird Lynx game(s) purchase. Championship Rally, Lexis, and perhaps Ponx will be mine mine mine! All mine! Mine mine mine!

Thanks for continuing to develop Lynx games! I think it's really cool.

• 1 month later...

I got my copy of the Jungle Guide today. I liked it. It comes with a plastic cover. Great interviews, strategies and info about the games. Good quality of the paper. Very nice layout :cool:

Just one thing I thought about. On Songbird Productions homepage there is a picture of the Jungle Guide in color: http://www.songbird-productions.com/graffx...gle_guide_1.jpg Maybe this could confuse some people. But of course it's says very clear that it's in Black and White.