IGNORED

COCO 1 tape io errors (playing wav from PC)

Divarin

Hi all. so I'm having some issues maybe someone can help me out with.

I have been successfully loading games into an MC-10, and a CoCo 2 using this setup:

a Toshiba Libretto 50ct running win98se playing wav files out through a cassette cable.

After being frustrated trying to record to, and play back from, tapes I went this route and it works perfectly fine on the MC10 and the CoCo 2

I recently picked up a CoCo 1, appears to have 16k of ram (reports 14,xxx bytes free with ? mem) but whenever I try to load games into it using this setup I get ? IO error immediately after it finds the game.

I'm mostly focusing on Dungeons of Daggorath (downloaded from color computer archive) because it worked fine on my CoCo 2 and the manual states that it should work on a CoCo 1 with 16k of ram, plus it's a fun game so....

I've tried all different volume settings and each time I get this IO error straight away after "F DAGGORAT"

Could there be an issue with the CoCo 1 which would cause the cassette port to not work?

Also I tried popping in my COCO SDC which I used on the CoCo 2 but the CoCo 1 didn't seem to recognize it.

7 minutes ago, Divarin said:

Hi all. so I'm having some issues maybe someone can help me out with.

I have been successfully loading games into an MC-10, and a CoCo 2 using this setup:

a Toshiba Libretto 50ct running win98se playing wav files out through a cassette cable.

After being frustrated trying to record to, and play back from, tapes I went this route and it works perfectly fine on the MC10 and the CoCo 2

I recently picked up a CoCo 1, appears to have 16k of ram (reports 14,xxx bytes free with ? mem) but whenever I try to load games into it using this setup I get ? IO error immediately after it finds the game.

I'm mostly focusing on Dungeons of Daggorath (downloaded from color computer archive) because it worked fine on my CoCo 2 and the manual states that it should work on a CoCo 1 with 16k of ram, plus it's a fun game so....

I've tried all different volume settings and each time I get this IO error straight away after "F DAGGORAT"

Could there be an issue with the CoCo 1 which would cause the cassette port to not work?

Also I tried popping in my COCO SDC which I used on the CoCo 2 but the CoCo 1 didn't seem to recognize it.

DoD requires 16k Extended Color Basic (ECB) as well as the SDC also

I am willing to bet that if you turn on your coco1 it will say COLOR BASIC only instead of the Extended Color Basic that shows up on your coco2

Depending on the board that is in your coco1 you may be able to just replace the ROM . The same guy (ed) who sells the SDC also has the ECB ROM chips

Edited by rietveld

1 minute ago, rietveld said:

DoD requires 16k Extended Color Basic (ECB) as well as the SDC also

I am willing to bet that if you turn on your coco1 it will say COLOR BASIC only instead of the Extended Color Basic that shows up on your coco2

Ah yes you're correct.

Is there a good way to know which games will run on this coco 1 and which required Extended Color Basic? Short of trial & error?

7 hours ago, Divarin said:

Ah yes you're correct.

Is there a good way to know which games will run on this coco 1 and which required Extended Color Basic? Short of trial & error?

No easy way. But you could download the Radio Shack catalogs from the coco archive. The listing in there will include the requirements