IGNORED

Mydos 4.5x

Gitbizy

MyDOS is shit.  I recommend you switch to Sparta DOS, preferable SDX.  It is a true DOS with proper support for relocatable drivers, proper sub-directory handling, large drive support, various shells, full batch processor.  Not some junk menu driven toy.

P.S.

What's in the XRATED folder?  Asking for a friend.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

MyDOS is shit.  I recommend you switch to Sparta DOS, preferable SDX.  It is a true DOS with proper support for relocatable drivers, proper sub-directory handling, large drive support, various shells, full batch processor.  Not some junk menu driven toy.

P.S.

What's in the XRATED folder?  Asking for a friend.

I need a link to a valid .ATR image.

an old adventure that I wrote LOL

5 minutes ago, Stephen said:

MyDOS is shit. 

I loved MyDOS bitd.  It was my goto DOS in the 80's.  I ran 360K and 1.2MB floppies as 77 track DSDD (1Mb formatted).  BITD, I was only aware that MyDOS could read and format those disks. I never warmed up to Sparta DOS mainly because its was not compatible with Atari DOS.  By the time I had data files big enough to worry about file management, I had moved on to MSDOS on my first XT.  MyDOS did everything I needed it to do.  I also used it with my ATR-8000.  Sparta is a better laid out DOS, but I think MyDOS was significant enhancement to Atari DOS 2.0S.

What do I run to use today?  MyDOS is still my first choice.  I just like the interface better.

• Like 4

Afair,

you choose "R" and then type in "D1:MISC" (or D1:MISC:*.*) that's all. Next choose "A" (not 1) and type Return to display the contents of the subdir MISC. If you want to display the contents of MISC2 next, you have to choose "R" and type "D1:*.*" to go back to the root, then choose "R" again and type "D1:MISC2" (or D1:MISC2:*:*").

That "::MISC2" does not make any sense to me. You either display the contents of the subdir MISC or MISC2, displaying both is afaik not possible (but I might be wrong). It's been a long time, since I last used subdirs with MyDOS or read the MyDOS manual here or here.

• Like 3

IIRC, with the "Pick Directory" item, MyDOS allows you to select a "default" directory path for the "D:" specification. That way, all you have to do is specify "D:filename.ext" to access files in that directory instead of typing the whole path all the time. Same principle when copying with wildcards. You would simply chose "C"opy Files and type say "D2:*.EXE, D:"(no quotations) to copy all files with that extender to the full path you chose for "D:".

Two big advantages of MyDOS over AtariDOS 2.x is that it added the ability to have subdirectories and it expanded the number of accessible sectors by removing the filenumber reference in the "housekeeping bytes"(last 3 bytes of each sector) of each sector and using those 6 bits for next sector reference instead, giving it two full bytes for sector reference which expanded reference to 65536 sectors instead of the 1024 sectors of AtariDOS 2.x. This allowed for drives of much larger capacity to be used.

SpartaDOS, with it's MAP sectors system and such is nice for Hard Drives, but not as robust for floppies IMO. For example, I can kill the directory sectors on an AtariDOS 2.x or MyDOS formatted floppy and recover all the files. If I kill any file's "Map sector" on a SpartaDOS formatted floppy, that file is mostly unrecoverable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Eddy, guys

20 minutes ago, EddyFree said:

... and it expanded the number of accessible sectors by removing the filenumber reference in the "housekeeping bytes"(last 3 bytes of each sector) of each sector and using those 6 bits for next sector reference instead, giving it two full bytes for sector reference which expanded reference to 65536 sectors instead of the 1024 sectors of AtariDOS 2.x. This allowed for drives of much larger capacity to be used.

MyDOS only does this when it's needed.  On a SSSD disk, it still uses the file number to be compatible with DOS 2.5.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 2

I don't think there is any real value in debating DOS varieties in terms of "what is best".  

Largely it will depend on what you used back in the day. And also what you personally do or don't do when YOU use the system.  And beyond that individual perspective and need, it also depends on what each person is doing in any specific instance.  

I love MyDos.  I know it really well and it's what I used most of the time as a kid.  But I'm usually fine with Dos 2.5 most of the time too.  And DOS XL is fine too if that's what is already on a disk.  :)

Spartados is great and can no doubt "do more" and be more flexible, but it's overkill in a lot of situations.   I think Dos XL is also really flexible but usually more that needed too, at least in my most common use cases.

I just think it's great the Atari 8 bits had so many high quality DOS options too choose from.

I don't think trashing any of them is really warranted either.

• Like 1

Back to your original question...  Try D1:MISC

If that doesn't work, your copy may be corrupt.  Here is (AFAIK) some recent versions of MyDos.  One has been patched by Flashjazzcat to work good with a 65816 cpu.  Also is a DCM of 4.50, the last "official release" of MyDos by Bob Puff and Charles Marslett. And finally, a copy of 4.53, another very serviceable version.  Of course, these depend on your having the facilities to use ATR's and the DCM.  The latest official version is also available at the CSS website, as well as docs, etc.

MyDos.zip

Edit: I missed CharlieChaplin's post -- he told you you first!

• Like 3

Interesting discussions about the DOSses. For me it depends what the setup is. On an atari system with just a diskdrive, I prefer XDOS by Stephan Dorndorf. It's fast and flexible. I love it.

On my Atari setup with Blackbox I prefer the disk version of SpartaDos. Like 3.3a or 3.3b ... it works very well with the harddrive and it does do everything I need.

On my Ide+ system I prefer SDX. It's build in, and it plays nicely with a coding cart. Great stuff. Also runs amazingly well with The Last Word.

On my MyIDE with soft OS, I prefer MyDOS. Works very cool together and it is fabulous to have such a great cart with MyDos on a bootable partiton.

It's hard to say which one is the ultimate DOS. I guess SDX comes very close, but if I had to pick just one set... I would go for the setup with diskdrive and XDOS. Luckily I do not have to pick just one.

• Like 2

On 12/25/2021 at 3:32 PM, Gitbizy said:

This series of disks were created with mydos 4.5x so that’s why I’m trying to use that

If you cannot get to grips with it, please note that SpartaDOS X is capable of reading MyDOS subdirectories. This way one can retrieve the data and save it to another non-MyDOS medium for future usage. If SDX is not available on your A8, Altirra comes in handy.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GoodByteXL said:

If you cannot get to grips with it, please note that SpartaDOS X is capable of reading MyDOS subdirectories. This way one can retrieve the data and save it to another non-MyDOS medium for future usage. If SDX is not available on your A8, Altirra comes in handy.

Where can I find an ATR image of SDX?

SDX is a cartridge so it won't be an ATR unless it's sole purpose is to program an AtariMax flashmax cartridge (or similar) into a SDX cartridge. Disk based SpartaDOS does not have MyDOS subdirectory access.

http://sdx.atari8.info/

Is where you can find SDX files and information.

In your first post, the directory MISC is on drive 2 so doing

R

D2:MISC

should work a lot better. You can enter * instead of a drive number to see the directory list of the files in the default directory as well.

Charlie Chaplin is very much correct in his second paragraph of post #6, in order to have displayed as your default directory of

D1:MISC::MISC2

something of an egregious nature has happened to that boot disk. And I can't imagine what as that particular situation should be impossible. Unless 4.53 has a simple display issue and that's the only mistake.

But it does appear that you have an excess of subdirectories named MISC just about everywhere.

That can lead to many confusions if you haven't yet noticed.

• Like 1

Hi 1050-

Can you explain the double colon D1:Misc::Misc2? 

I almost never have gone below one subdirectory level in my use. 

This morning, I created a subdirectory with 4.55 B4

D1:TEST

Picked that directory with R

Created a new subdirectory

D1:TEST:TEST2

And navigated around the subdirectories with no issues.  But I don't get that double colon. (?)

My only small, unfulfilled wish for MyDos is that we never got to 128 files per directory.  Not the worst of situations, but it's an "itch that I've never been able to scratch."  ?

-Larry

• Like 1

Hi Larry.

No I can't explain the double colon deal unless 4.53 isn't clearing the line and this is actually the

D1:MISC

as the default directory, when it used to be a bunch of others and we are looking at what used to be there because none of the tail end is being cleared. I seem to remember an issue with the drive report line (one line above) where these kinds of mistakes were going on, misplaced resulting in no spaces, wrong data, not cleared, etc., and that was the part that got me to take a good close look at 4.53/4 to notice that DOS.SYS overwrites itself with itself at an offset. And I couldn't make the source do that or anything for that matter. I had to call it a crazy making waste of time to work on that one. They are corrupted files. David's ideas in 4.53/4 are just brilliant so I just gave him credit in the source and stole (and fixed) everything he offered to put it into a version of 4.50 that I had already placed several bug fixes into which today is 4.55 beta4 available at Mathy's MyDOS page.

https://www.mathyvannisselroy.nl/mydos.htm

Just like you, I tried everything in the book to wind up with colon(s) after, and it's not possible. Let alone a repeat, so I'm stumped big time. But not enough to boot 4.53.

• Thanks 1

2Gitbizy

The most accurate answer to your question is - This R option just set FLAG to MISC directory as it's the CURRENT directory!

Please look at the third string on your screenshot - 'D: = D1:MISC::MISC2'...

The ':' in MyDOS is just SEPARATOR between directories! i.e. '::' (after MISC) means NOTHING! Just a mistyping and system absolutely lost.

To avoid it I've wrote this atr which contains some useful things...

1. Autorun.sys is just Toms Navigator.

(Never use it's 'Q'uit option. It dropped me to Self Test screen. Use my Quit utility from TN instead!)

'QUIT' always lead us to Standard 'MyDOS Menu' but Soft 'Reset' always return us to 'Toms Navigator' !!!

2. I often need NOT ramdisk as it takes all 130 extended memory so I can not use CLSN Pascal or MAE Assembler as both use the same area too. But if you want to enable ramdisk you can run RD file from TN. In this atr ramdisk is D9: :)

3. 'New' option in TN used to replace disk to another one.

By the way, I love Sparta and SDX too!

zen

MyDOS_TN.atr

Edited by 576XE
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

Here is what I want to be able to do.  Edit code TXT files on an ATR disk or other virtual disk on a PC directory with Atari 8 bit emulator disk files.  Editing in the 40 column format in the emulator really slows down coding.  Can this be done with the Altirra64 emulator?  Not finding anything to make a PC directory a disk - maybe just good way to read and write to an ATR file from PC?  What am I looking for?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2022 at 4:08 PM, Ray Gillman said:

Here is what I want to be able to do.  Edit code TXT files on an ATR disk or other virtual disk on a PC directory with Atari 8 bit emulator disk files.  Editing in the 40 column format in the emulator really slows down coding.  Can this be done with the Altirra64 emulator?  Not finding anything to make a PC directory a disk - maybe just good way to read and write to an ATR file from PC?  What am I looking for?

There is a utility called DIR2ATR by HiassofT, it creates an ATR of various sizes containing files in a directory. I haven't used it in a few years and can't remember what size ATR images it supports.

Available from the following webpage: https://www.horus.com/~hias/atari/

• 1 month later...
On 12/24/2021 at 7:39 PM, erichenneke said:

I don't think there is any real value in debating DOS varieties in terms of "what is best".  

I agree - I use both and when I want to program in TurboBasic I use MyDos because large disks with subdirectories and just works Sparta probably a better DOS but wont run TurboBasic unless you get the custom version specially butchered for a specific version of Sparta also custom butchered to work with it.  All that butchery would only be required if Sparta and Turbo were both good and people who loved both JUST HAD to make them work together.  Now WHY everyone loves TurboBasic so much is the question.  I wish it worked with passing values to the PROC and returned values - you know like a USR call can do - doing some retro nostalgic coding and man oh man this is not so good having to use universal variables to pass values and fetch results of a call to PROC - not good code 

Edited by Ray Gillman

On 12/24/2021 at 4:59 PM, CharlieChaplin said:

Afair,

you choose "R" and then type in "D1:MISC" (or D1:MISC:*.*) that's all. Next choose "A" (not 1) and type Return to display the contents of the subdir MISC. If you want to display the contents of MISC2 next, you have to choose "R" and type "D1:*.*" to go back to the root, then choose "R" again and type "D1:MISC2" (or D1:MISC2:*:*").

That "::MISC2" does not make any sense to me. You either display the contents of the subdir MISC or MISC2, displaying both is afaik not possible (but I might be wrong). It's been a long time, since I last used subdirs with MyDOS or read the MyDOS manual here or here.

Yes I think the third line is telling you it already has a default set of D:\root =D:MISC