IGNORED

What do you want from AtG@mes in 2022?

1980gamer

I am hoping for an arcade machine with a nice steering wheel and nice shifter.  Is it possible to have a shifter with 2 modes?

4 speed:

1  3  

\/

/\      

2  4

and

LO

|

HI

With electric locking ring to switch them?

This machine should include light guns and pinball flippers.

Next, I am hoping they make replacement controllers available for the Intellivision Flashback.  Or better yet, an Intellivision Flashback Vol. 2 with HDMI and SD.

Does anyone else have ideas for the coming year?

Edited by 1980gamer
  • Like 4

I would like paddles that use the same hardware as the hand held pong console with 2 paddles attached by @ games. Those machines have the BEST paddles while the paddles included in the @ games atari consoles are too stiff which causes torque to build up when using it preventing the user from stopping on a dime, the torque built up pushes your hand further then where intended.

Not sure how one product can be totally different from another product by the same company while being consistent about it and botch the ines that are able to be used with our actuel original hardware.

Old paddles get old. We need new well working hardware.

Edited by overgrouth
  • Like 1

I think they tried to increase the "range" of the pots to make them more precise and that made them incompatible with original hardware.

But I think they could have "maybe" put a switch on the paddle and a resister in parallel that would let it work on both hardware.

I think it would have been better to tweak the emulation than the paddles...

Any 2600 console in the future should include 7800 support.  But then they need 2 button controllers.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2022 at 12:26 PM, jgkspsx said:

I would like a woodgrain Atari Flashback Portable with a nice screen, SD card, and 7800 support. Basically like the Blaze one from several years ago except without terrible emulation and an unusable screen.

I second this wholeheartedly.

• Like 2

I'd love AtGames to reissue the Flashback 2, which uses a updated version of the 2600 "system on a chip" that appeared in the 2600 Jr. This time, though, I'd love to see them carry through the original motherboard design, which allowed the Flashback to play original 2600 cartridges as well as the games included on the system. 

I'd also sign up for reissues of classic Atari games that required specific controllers and hardware -- Star Raiders, for instance -- as well as reissues of games in boxed/cartridge format. Like, $150 for new Atari 2600 hardware and $25/month for a cartridge-based "game of the month" deal that includes reissues of classic 2600 games? I would buy the hell out of that. I'd buy the hell out of it at $50/month if there were popular homebrews and stuff.

• Like 2

Id like to see the "800" Flashback with HDMI and SD card slot.  No reason it couldnt be a 2600/800 unit.  USB port to connect optional keyboard.

Other than that Id like to see them expand their Pinball offering to have more classic mainstream tables in their catalog.  Id gladly pay for some Williams table - esp Black Knight 2000

• Like 4

I know there's no way in hell this would happen, but I'd like to see AtG@mes release an Atari Flashback that:

• accepts 2600 cartridges
  • is FULLY compatible with all cartridges designed to work on the 2600 (including all 2600 titles sold here on AA)
  • works with all controllers and peripherals
  • has HD and Composite outputs

Our original hardware isn't getting any younger.
Speaking for myself, the previous Flashbacks and the Retron77 just don't cut it for me.

I don't need fancy menus, Save-States, a Rewind-function, etc..

Thanks for asking 1980gamer

• Like 7

I dont think another AFB2 the costs to produce an ASIC are just too high.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application-specific_integrated_circuit

Maybe if someone had already vetted an FPGA solution that was compatible with all comercial releases, and all the new melody board etc. games would Atari consider it. Since all the verilog code would have been tested. I dont think a current FPGA solution exists that is open source. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, StephenJ said:

I know there's no way in hell this would happen, but I'd like to see AtG@mes release an Atari Flashback that:

• accepts 2600 cartridges
  • is FULLY compatible with all cartridges designed to work on the 2600 (including all 2600 titles sold here on AA)
  • works with all controllers and peripherals
  • has HD and Composite outputs

Our original hardware isn't getting any younger.
Speaking for myself, the previous Flashbacks and the Retron77 just don't cut it for me.

I don't need fancy menus, Save-States, a Rewind-function, etc..

Thanks for asking 1980gamer

100% this
They keep half-assing these things for no particular reason, other than to give them yet another yearly incremental release product. 

I'm sure their official spokesperson Bill (the weird dude that's always flexing in his profile pics) will come moseying in to defend his company about how such things are not possible.  The Flashback 2.0 was basically a great product that just needed a few more tweaks to be a perfect product.  Yet somehow @tgames went down the path releasing more inferior products just to have something on the store shelves each holiday shopping season, and now we see eBay and Facebook marketplace littered with these things. 

• Like 1

Isn't ATGames on to arcade machines and pinball now?  I haven't kept up really, but that's what I see from casual investigation.

I'm interested in some kind of Virtual Pinball machine.  If I could buy a commercial cabinet or bartop designed for pinball and then hack it with whatever software I want that could be interesting, but if it is closed to only a few tables/games, I'll just stick with my PC.

All that being said, the dream is to have a true 2600 replacement of ANY kind.  What does "true replacement" mean?  Simple - it supports all carts and peripherals.  Ideally it would support video out in multiple formats and even have a built-in screen for portability.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wongojack said:

Isn't ATGames on to arcade machines and pinball now?  I haven't kept up really, but that's what I see from casual investigation.

I'm interested in some kind of Virtual Pinball machine.  If I could buy a commercial cabinet or bartop designed for pinball and then hack it with whatever software I want that could be interesting, but if it is closed to only a few tables/games, I'll just stick with my PC.

All that being said, the dream is to have a true 2600 replacement of ANY kind.  What does "true replacement" mean?  Simple - it supports all carts and peripherals.  Ideally it would support video out in multiple formats and even have a built-in screen for portability.

I think so.

They probably found that they've milked the poor 2600 retro market for what it was worth (we'll be seeing tons and tons of unwanted flashbacks in our landfills and ebay sites for decades to come), and have moved on to doing the same with repro arcade cabs and pinballs since they could weasel into the subscription model for a continuous revenue stream.

"We gots to get onto that subscription model like all the other entertainment and media companies!"

They had all these years to get it right with the Flashback and never could strike gold.  Really baffling.

If anyone has production numbers for the Flashback units, it'd be interesting to start tracking how many have been made in comparison to the 30M 2600s that were produced.  I'm wondering at which point in time we'll be seeing more FB systems having been produced than actual 2600s - or other consoles, for that matter.

And yep, that question is asked only half in jest: while it's doubtful that there will ever be 30M FBs sold, even if the total is 'only' 1M that's still a not-inconsiderable number.

Dream idea,  not reality:

What I want is for them to put out an Atari 5200 Flashback.  But and this is important,  it should be compatible with original joysticks,  yet come with a pair of newly designed,  self-centering sticks.

Now the idea gets a bit weird, but it should also come with huge library of Atari 8-Bit titles.   And there should be a button somewhere on the console marked BIGHMW.  Pushing this button will trigger a loud sample, that says, "Go Big Sexy!" and instantly makes a conversion of an 8-Bit title to a 5200 title,  or vice versa.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

If anyone has production numbers for the Flashback units, it'd be interesting to start tracking how many have been made in comparison to the 30M 2600s that were produced.  I'm wondering at which point in time we'll be seeing more FB systems having been produced than actual 2600s - or other consoles, for that matter.

And yep, that question is asked only half in jest: while it's doubtful that there will ever be 30M FBs sold, even if the total is 'only' 1M that's still a not-inconsiderable number.

"The Flashback (1) sold approximately 500,000 units.  .... The Flashback 2 sold 860,000 units in the United States."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_Flashback_series

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/20/2022 at 3:48 PM, GoldLeader said:

Dream idea,  not reality:

What I want is for them to put out an Atari 5200 Flashback.  But and this is important,  it should be compatible with original joysticks,  yet come with a pair of newly designed,  self-centering sticks.

Now the idea gets a bit weird, but it should also come with huge library of Atari 8-Bit titles.   And there should be a button somewhere on the console marked BIGHMW.  Pushing this button will trigger a loud sample, that says, "Go Big Sexy!" and instantly makes a conversion of an 8-Bit title to a 5200 title,  or vice versa.

That is indeed a bit weird! I'd buy it for the right price. We'd probably have to build our own. The parts we need are already out there, no need to mass-produce a wackadoo item like this. Just one for me, and one for you. Then collectors can fight over these very rare items when we're dead and gone. 

I miss seeing the inexpensive AtGames devices at Target and Walmart but the age of the plug-n-play seems to have passed for now. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

That is indeed a bit weird! I'd buy it for the right price. We'd probably have to build our own. The parts we need are already out there, no need to mass-produce a wackadoo item like this. Just one for me, and one for you. Then collectors can fight over these very rare items when we're dead and gone. 

I miss seeing the inexpensive AtGames devices at Target and Walmart but the age of the plug-n-play seems to have passed for now. 

Lets toss whatever 7800 titles we can on this also.  The 5200 controller is able to handle 7800 games.  Certainly with a nice centering controller ;)

On 1/1/2022 at 12:30 PM, 1980gamer said:

Intellivision Flashback Vol. 2 with HDMI and SD.

I would love to see another round of flashbacks with stepped-up hardware specs and quality.  The PS Classic mini got panned over content, but the hardware build "fit and finish" is really nice.  atGames really stepped it up with the 2600 "Flashback X".  I think they are now more in love with the "Legends Ultimate" ecosystem and the promise of a steady stream of revenue from "Arcadenet" subscriptions.  Sounds like the marketing guys (who were not gamers growing up) took over to me.  Meh.

Maybe the folks that did the C-64 mini would have interest in doing some form of Atari 8-bit mini system.

Meanwhile, for anyone who didn't know: the "community firmware builds" for the Legends Flashback and the Atari Flashback 9 and X support Atari 8-bit, and have a couple hundred 8-bit games with box art included.

If you want to scratch the itch to play some Captain Beeble, Drol, Encounter, Necromancer, Quasimodo, etc, etc, on your big screen via HDMI, you can do it with those devices once you have the community builds up and running.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/1/2022 at 1:26 PM, jgkspsx said:

I would like a woodgrain Atari Flashback Portable with a nice screen, SD card, and 7800 support. Basically like the Blaze one from several years ago except without terrible emulation and an unusable screen.

It does seem like atGames could get into this and do well.  A 2600/7800 combo "themed" handheld would be great if it had a decent selection of games and/or allowed expansion via SD card. atGames has this neat feature called Arcade Play Link (APL).  Bringing it back to the Legends Ultimate ecosystem - their most recent flashbacks can be plugged in to the HDMI port on the Legends Ultimate standup unit and "presto" the Legends Ultimate not only displays the flashback's video - the arcade control deck also controls it all.  If the handheld had HDMI out and included APL it would be very neat! That APL feature is one of the neatest and most innovative things I have seen from atGames, but I think it has not been known or used much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1