IGNORED

Album of ambient “music” made with Vectrex sounds

jgkspsx

This album might be of interest to some people. It’s free to stream.

E32EB565-289C-4295-B800-6B47645A2E0E.thumb.jpeg.d9f6e057d9602ae35b27a21d03dd7f8e.jpeg

From the description on the Bandcamp page:

Almost all sounds on this album originate from the Vectrex video game console. It's a strange and wonderful device that has a vector cathode ray tube, like an oscilloscope. One of the characteristic traits of the device is a slightly questionable sound circuit that picks up tons of noise from the cathode ray tube, causing a very noticeable drone. 

A current fad in the Vectrex community is to isolate the audio circuit from the CRT to get rid of that hum. This kind of makes me sad, both because I find the drone comforting and because a characteristic of the system is being widely eliminated. So in the fall of 2020 I conceived of an ambient noise album, akin to Lou Reed’s Metal Machine Music, but made entirely from treatments of the Vectrex hum. This is that album, or pretty close.

There were some physical cassette copies including some for the Vectrex Fans Unite Secret Santa in reproduction Vectrex boxes. They are currently sold out but more seem to be on the way.

E3DFCD39-B0C0-4979-ABD3-C45D4092F16F.thumb.jpeg.78dfb18c72c9469b6843499f04a91537.jpeg

• Like 3

I’ve listened to the whole thing a lot, but I listen to a lot of drone/ambient/noise generally. I’ve willingly listened to a lot less pleasant stuff :D 

Most of the second side is essentially pink noise. The first side has the harsher stuff but at least I find it more interesting. I am a bit biased, though!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1