IGNORED

McWill GameGear High Contrast screen after install

rsix08

Hi I am in the middle of the MCWill Screen install for my GameGear and getting a screen issue. Seems like high contrast .I have checked voltage is under 5V And tried disconnecting csync cable My game gear had cap kit done and was working before the upgrade.

v3.1 on 1 asic GG using the guide on console 5

https://console5.com/techwiki/images/0/0a/Quick_Guide_1-ASIC_SEGA-GG_REV3_1.pdf Solder 1 wire from BACKLIGHT (BL left) of the GG mod to PIN1 of the thumbwheel and 1 wire from BACKLIGHT (BL right) of the GG mod to PIN 2 of the thumbwheel.

I posted on Reddit and users suggested connecting the backlight to pin 1 and 3 of the thumb wheel but I haven't tried this yet.  Wanted to see what recommendations can be made to troubleshoot on this forum and if there are any other users who experienced this issue.

Thank you!

0itu3t2257981.jpg

3ddcxif257981.jpg

6u2t12p257981.jpg

bvi7dzo357981.jpg

iugjz12357981.jpg

jipedez357981.jpg

q4g7zqf357981.jpg

0itu3t2257981.jpg

3ddcxif257981.jpg

6u2t12p257981.jpg

bvi7dzo357981.jpg

iugjz12357981.jpg

jipedez357981.jpg

q4g7zqf357981.jpg

I double checked my connections as your suggestion and D3 (PIN57) was incorrect (Installed on PIN 58).  I corrected this and the screen is displaying correctly.  Thank you for reply!  

P.S.  Best screen for GG!

Edited by rsix08

On 1/4/2022 at 5:42 PM, McWill said:

It seems the color palette is not correct. Perhaps there's a short circuit at the old LCD ribbon pads D0-D3 or some of them are mixed up.
Please check these wires again.

Hi, is there another connection point for PIN 9?  When I put together the GG the screen worked but got glitchy and eventually scrambled.  I took it apart and re-soldered PIN 9 but I  believe there is an issue here since the PIN 9 connector broke off and I had to solder it to the tiny hole to get it to work, so I think it would help me if I could solder pin9 to somewhere else.

Thanks again.

55 minutes ago, rsix08 said:

Hi, is there another connection point for PIN 9?  When I put together the GG the screen worked but got glitchy and eventually scrambled.  I took it apart and re-soldered PIN 9 but I  believe there is an issue here since the PIN 9 connector broke off and I had to solder it to the tiny hole to get it to work, so I think it would help me if I could solder pin9 to somewhere else.

Thanks again.

Yes there is... I believe pin 9 is the CL2 connection point and there is an alternate connection for the single ASIC boards that can be found where indicated in the picture below. But you should use a DMM in continuity mode to verify this.

image.thumb.png.6833ae8aef841989271607e6f474a87f.png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Yes there is... I believe pin 9 is the CL2 connection point and there is an alternate connection for the single ASIC boards that can be found where indicated in the picture below. But you should use a DMM in continuity mode to verify this.

image.thumb.png.6833ae8aef841989271607e6f474a87f.png

Thank you this is helpful.  I re-assembled the GG but will reference this if I need to re-open it and correct it again.