IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2022 (Season 15)

carlsson

11 hours ago, carlsson said:

10. Sonic Adventure (World version) (Dreamcast) - 81 min.

lol oops, I forgot to specify that it was the Japanese version.

Honestly, after playing both of them, I don't really think there are sufficient differences to warrant splitting them, so it's probably safe to combine them. Apparently the music is of lower quality in the international versions and there was some online stuff that was exclusive to the original Japanese version, but that's long gone now anyway.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

There’s a story here, but do I really want to learn it?

I believe there was a high score competition in Christmas Carol which doubled as minutes logged in the tracker. It used to be #3 or so but has dropped recently.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

There’s a story here, but do I really want to learn it?

3 hours ago, carlsson said:

I believe there was a high score competition in Christmas Carol which doubled as minutes logged in the tracker. It used to be #3 or so but has dropped recently.

This was before my time in the tracker, but I can attest that it is an excellent game, and I usually play it a few times every Christmas.  The creator has made it available for free for years now.  About The Christmas Carol Game (carolvsghost.com)

• Like 4

9 hours ago, wongojack said:

This was before my time in the tracker, but I can attest that it is an excellent game, and I usually play it a few times every Christmas.  The creator has made it available for free for years now.  About The Christmas Carol Game (carolvsghost.com)

Very cool! I am just surprised that a seasonal game for a relatively uncommon system would rack up so many hours!

• Like 3

Christmas Carol was played in this pattern over the years:

2012: 153 min.

2013: 35 min.

2014: 423 min.

2015: 11709 min. (!!!)

2016: 600 min.

2017: 370 min.

2018: 50 min.

2021: 130 min.

2022: 16 min. so far

Perhaps @DZ-Jay also is interested to know that.

In other words, I combined the two entries for Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast. The special edition Sonic Adventure International (JP) remains though, as well as Sonic Adventure 2 of course.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 3

The 2015 thread is out there to search into. While I don't get the numbers to match perfectly, it looks something like this:

Jan - Sep 2015: 65 min.

Oct - Dec 2015: 11644 min.

Top 6 contributors that particular year (caveat for posts/times that I missed during my search):

1. Darrin9999 - 2960 min.

2. Opry99er - 2165 min.

3. grips03 - 1680 min.

4. SiLic0ne t0aD - 1385 min.

5. pimpmaul69 - 1103 min.

6. BurritoBeans - 1050 min.

plus at least 5 more who posted smaller amounts of play times in that particular year.

It means nobody accounted for more than 20-25% of the total minutes on Carol, probably a bit less than so.

Out of the top games, I think The Lawnmower Man may be the one with highest percentage of a single contributor, as BurritoBeans in 13 sessions between the end of January 2017 and end of April 2017 racked up 14362 minutes or so, with sessions ranging from 100 to 2500 minutes each week.

Some of the other games in the top generally had one or two really massive contributors, like Kaboom! and Solar Fox. Since the tracker doesn't count everyone's individual minutes per game, it is hard to get the exact numbers without digging through years of posting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, carlsson said:

In other words, I combined the two entries for Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast. The special edition Sonic Adventure International (JP) remains though, as well as Sonic Adventure 2 of course.

Okay, cool. I am fairly certain that Sonic Adventure International is actually just the NA version of the game but with Japanese as the default language instead of English, and of course the game's region lock only allowing it to work on Japanese Dreamcasts. Probably no other differences. Sonic Adventure 2 is showing up on Monday, for that matter.

• Like 3

Ok, so it might look like this?

Sonic Adventure (World) - what everyone outside Japan got

Sonic Adventure International (Japan) - localised version of the above, no more, no less

Sonic Adventure (Japan) - better music and extra online content that the other versions lacked

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Ok, so it might look like this?

Sonic Adventure (World) - what everyone outside Japan got

Sonic Adventure International (Japan) - localised version of the above, no more, no less

Sonic Adventure (Japan) - better music and extra online content that the other versions lacked

Yeah, that's right. The Japanese version of Sonic Adventure is actually the first Dreamcast game, as its identification code thingy is HDR-0001. I think the plan was to release it on November 27, 1998, along with the Dreamcast, but they had some problems and had to delay it by about a month and then just called it good enough and shoved it out as it was. They fixed some bugs/improved some stuff in time for the famous NA Dreamcast launch, but they had to cut the audio quality to fit both the Japanese and English voice acting or something like that, and then they released this version later in Japan for some reason. They also removed the thing where Sonic's feet become transparent when he runs at his max speed in the international versions, which is the real reason that I play the Japanese version, although I have no idea why they did this.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

There’s got to be a story here. Did we get invaded by Intellivisors???

19 hours ago, carlsson said:

The 2015 thread is out there to search into. While I don't get the numbers to match perfectly, it looks something like this:

Jan - Sep 2015: 65 min.

Oct - Dec 2015: 11644 min.

Top 6 contributors that particular year (caveat for posts/times that I missed during my search):

1. Darrin9999 - 2960 min.

2. Opry99er - 2165 min.

3. grips03 - 1680 min.

4. SiLic0ne t0aD - 1385 min.

5. pimpmaul69 - 1103 min.

6. BurritoBeans - 1050 min.

plus at least 5 more who posted smaller amounts of play times in that particular year.

It means nobody accounted for more than 20-25% of the total minutes on Carol, probably a bit less than so.

Out of the top games, I think The Lawnmower Man may be the one with highest percentage of a single contributor, as BurritoBeans in 13 sessions between the end of January 2017 and end of April 2017 racked up 14362 minutes or so, with sessions ranging from 100 to 2500 minutes each week.

Some of the other games in the top generally had one or two really massive contributors, like Kaboom! and Solar Fox. Since the tracker doesn't count everyone's individual minutes per game, it is hard to get the exact numbers without digging through years of posting.

https://www.carolvsghost.com/game/cvw/pg_contest.html <- details of the contest in 2015  

There were a bunch of prizes offered:  https://www.carolvsghost.com/game/cvw/pg_prizes.html

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/246252-carol-vs-the-world-2015-championship/ <- Atariage Thread is here, but I don't see anything pushing people to track their time. <shrug>

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Armed Police Batrider is back after a decent amount of time; Welcome to Violent City! Pretty sure the last time I played it it was also the B Version variant, and that's the one you want to play, as I guess the Japanese B Version is the best version for some reason that is unknown to me as of now. Karous, Soukyuugurentai and Layer Section finally return after a decent amount of time as well, and Sakura Taisen is back after just under a year of absence. Also discovered that Sakura Taisen does actually track your time, but you can only see it in the Dreamcast's save file menu thingy.

Dreamcast
Hanagumi Taisen Columns 2 - 311
Karous - 7
Sakura Taisen - 60
Sonic Adventure - 271
Sonic Adventure 2 - 274

Neo Geo AES/MVS
Neo Turf Masters - 12

Arcade
1941 Counter Attack (Japan) - 3

Armed Police Batrider B Version (Japan) - 3

Battle Bakraid Unlimited Ver. - 3
Space Harrier - 6
Out Zone - 29
Tatsujin - 20
Tatsujin Ou - 19
Zero Wing - 22

G/MD
Slap Fight MD - 7

Saturn
Layer Section - 32
Soukyuugurentai - 23

• Like 4

Here are my times: 

Atari 2600:

Q*bert- 4 1/2 minutes

Ms. Pacman- 3 minutes

Spiderman- 4 minutes

Jr. Pacman- 4 minutes

Bump N' Jump- 3 mintues

Klax- 8 minutes

Star Wars Empire Strikes Back- 12 minutes

Tapper- 7 mintues

Super Breakout- 3 minutes

Lock N' Chase- 7 minutes

Millipede- 5 minutes

Joust- 2 1/2 minutes

Space invaders- 5 minutes

Robot tank- 6 minutes

Vanguard- 4 minutes

NES:

Tetris (licensed Nintendo version)- 8 minutes

TMNT Tournament fighter- 3 minutes

NARC- 3 minutes

SEGA Master System/MARK III:

Cool spot- 3 minutes

Fantasy Zone- 3 minutes

Alien Storm- 6 minutes

• Like 4

Atari 8-bit:
BMX Simulator - 23 min.
Kik-Start - 24 min.
Skateboard - 38 min.
Topper - 27 min.

PC DOS:
Stunts / 4D Sports - 65 min.
Summer Challenge - 3 min.

So yet more of the A8 HSC. Both BMX Simulator and Kik-Start are frustrating in their own ways, and the other games to be honest have their peculiarities as well. Late yesterday I decided to bring out my FleaFPGA which is programmed with the Next186 core so I could play a few DOS games. When I do, I tend to stick with Stunts.

• Like 4

Here are my times for this past week (July 11th through 17th, 2022)...

Arcade:

Jr. Pac-Man - 26 min. in 3 sessions

Unexpectedly, I did sneak in some gaming this week. I did 3 sessions of Jr. Pac-Man with 1 game each. I actually meant to do a session of Mario Bros. as well, but surprisingly, the ROM doesn't work with the MAME version installed on my PC. (Was it really that long since I played this last? Must have been at least in July or August 2021 then...).

So a thing comes to mind... I'm not much into buying games until now, but I recently read that by now you can pretty much get all games that have been released no matter for which platform for legal play (i.e. on a current system) on the Internet... is this real or must this have been a misprint? If it's real, how would I be able to legally get the arcade versions of Jr. Pac-Man or Mario Bros. on the Internet?  And does this make emulators like MAME obsolete? Or has this been a misprint and isn't true for such old games, only for more recent ones which technically still can run on modern hardware? Or playing those only legal because it's only illegal to pass on the ROM's, but not to play them once you have them?

• Like 5

I'm not sure what you are referring to, if it is something like Google Stadia, Antstream Arcade etc. Those seem to gobble quite a number of licenses, but in the wider scheme of things probably only cover a small percentage of the most popular games and versions.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, agb said:

Only one game for me this week. 

Solar Fox 78 

Rather interesting that the arcade version has been played 5 min, the C64 version has been played 10 min and the Atari 2600 version is now up to 40631 min and counting. It is rated 7.3 on Lemon64 so the C64 version must be quite decent as well, except that it barely has been played in this tracker.

• Like 3