IGNORED

Help! Asteroids doesn't want to work...

MattG/Snyper2099

Ok, I have a stuburn Asteroids cab. that doesn't want to work. I've installed a cap kit. Both 1p and 2p lights stay lit and don't blink (I think they are suppose to?) The cab is very, very clean and none of the contacts are worn, there are no bent pins on the wiring harness, and as far as I can tell, the the audio board is good. I've looked into the bottom of the cabinet at the filter capacitor and everything looks very solid there. I guess it could be bad but I don't know? There is no sound, monitor has glow, pcb led light is on, monitor led is on but slightly dim (is this normal after a cap kit?). Test mode doesn't work. I've read the Asteroids repair FAQ on the net but that didn't help much. :sad: Anyone have any ideas?

Well...I can confirm that the [1] and [2] Player lights should blink (mine does).

If you're not getting any sound - have your tried adjusting the volume? Inside and to the left (behind the coin mechs - front of cab)...maybe the volume has been turned down.

Since free play IS an option, you might try switches 7 & 8

both in the "on" position (see below). On your board...

Asteroids settings:

0 = OFF 1 = ON X = Don't Care $ = Atari suggests

8 SWITCH DIP

--------

XXXXXX11 English

XXXXXX10 German

XXXXXX01 French

XXXXXX00 Spanish

XXXXX1XX 4-ship game

XXXXX0XX 3-ship game

11XXXXXX Free Play

10XXXXXX 1 Coin for 2 Plays

01XXXXXX 1 Coin for 1 Play

00XXXXXX 2 Coins for 1 Play

Sounds like board problems - have have you posted this message to R.G.V.A.C.?

I've still not had much luck. I'm fairly certain that the PCB is the problem. I tested all the board test points with a multimeter and the "DISP" one isn't getting anything. So, I think this means "video out" and it isn't working. I'm going to try and pull the roms and re-set them. This is frustrating!

Oh, the audio board is getting 5V+ and there is an audible hummmm from the speaker. I think this is normal though.

Edit: I've cleaned all the feet of each of the roms, reinserted them all and still nothing on screen.

Anyone know how I can test the filter cap to see if it's bad?

The LED on the monitor being on is a BAD thing. That is the spot killer, and that means there is no video signal going to the monitor. Use a voltmeter and test the X, Y and Z output test points and use the video ground lead to see if you have any signal going out. If you do not see a fluctuating voltage at all three of those points, I would assume one of the two problems at this point:

1. Filter cap is bad in the bottom of the cabinet. I have seen that a lot in the last year. They are not really "testable", because they are a higher rating than most cap testers can go; at least ones I own or have seen. www.therealbobroberts.com has them for about 12 bucks; good investment on a 24 year old machine either way.

2. PCB itself is bad. I would recommend you reseat all your chips, also check the voltages to all of the board (ie: Find the regulators on the PCB and be sure they have correct voltages going in/out of them. IIRC, there is a -5, -12 adn +12).

Can you locate another nearby Asteroids to test your board in? That would clear it up one way or another.

I am also assuming you have disconnected the monitor, and have tried to play the game blind? Hum in the speaker means you have amp, not signal.

Cassidy

I have tested my asteroids PCB in a friend's cab. and it doesn't work. I know I have a bad board but now I don't really know what to do. I've cleaned/reseated all the roms as well as conponents that have been repleaced. Is it worth it to try and fix it or, should I look for another board. I just saw an asteroids deluxe sell for ~$50 last week on epay. I just don't know if it's worth my time, or anyone else's to try and fix it. There's an asteroids PCB on ebay right now I'm thinking of bidding on. Opinions anyone?

There is quite a market for "dead PCB's" on ebay. You could always sell yours. Asteroids is not a hard fix (if you know what you are doing; I usually send mine out, as I am hit or miss with PCB repair). If you could get one fixed locally, that might be an option. www.eldoradogames.com does PCB swaps, but they are pricey. If you could get a working one on ebay, that would seem to be your best deal (if it doesn't go too high)

HTH,

Cassidy

BTW, check your input voltages and be sure that you do not have a problem there, or you could (not likely) fry the new board.

I think you'd be looking at about $100.00 for a working Asteroids pcb...

Worth the money if you figure the game sells for around $600.00 - in good shape. I know a fellow here in Alabama that sold his on eBay recently (around $800.00 - super nice condition).

-Rodney

• 1 month later...
  • 19 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 9/5/2003 at 1:22 AM, MattG/Snyper2099 said:

Is it worth it to try and fix it or, should I look for another board. I just saw an asteroids deluxe sell for ~$50 last week on epay. I just don't know if it's worth my time, or anyone else's to try and fix it. There's an asteroids PCB on ebay right now I'm thinking of bidding on. Opinions anyone?

I suppose the "worth" part of the question is really honestly totally up to you. How do you feel about it?

Consider these boards are no longer made, so in that respect it's worth a coupla tries to get it working again. On the other hand, consider these boards are 45 years old. What else will go wrong with it later? There's more modern solutions like FPGA and MAME and stuff - all of it fresh, new, reliable, and less space-consuming than the old upright cabs. And more versatile too.

So. Really. Only you can determine how much it's worth to you.