IGNORED

7800 Stopped Powering On

superseth

So I have a 7800 I bought with a broken RF box, did the cheap composite mod and have been using as my main Atari for the last month or so. Today I go to turn it on and nothing happens. I did move the console and power supply to a new tv yesterday, but it worked afterwards. Now I don't get a red light when pressing power, even after opening it and trying to directly press the button. I know those buttons can fail but what are some basic steps I can take to figure out what went wrong? Its an original power supply and I've heard those cables can break inside the box? Any tips would be helpful so I can get gaming again!

Edited by superseth

I had a similar issue.  I even tried different power supplies to no avail.

In my case I think the problem might be related to shutting off my power bar, to which the power supply was connected, instead of shutting the main power button on the system.

I ended up buying another system on Ebay. Now, I am careful to shut the system off before turning off my power bar.

Edited by funcool

If the soft switching mechanism gets blown, it won't turn on. When that happened to me, I just jumped over the switching circuitry so that it's always on when power is applied. I am sure you could also find a thread or two on here about troubleshooting and repairing it correctly.

Edited by R.Cade

Oh no that is exactly what I did - moved to a new spot and turned everything off using the power-bar. I was looking for info on specifically how to jump over the circuit but couldn't find anything specific enough that I could understand.

I have a multimeter - any guides around as where to test the power?

Good to hear! I popped it open again and tested the power connector/ground based on some videos online and I am not getting anything on the reading really when I would expect 9v or more so I am going to look at a trying a more standard power source to see if it springs back to life. I'd love to keep an original power brick but at $50 on ebay that seems like a lot just to test things out.

To test the tactile switch, just take a screwdriver or similar and cross the two legs for a split second on the power switch. If the unit turns on, then the tactile switch is bad. I have 4 7800's and three of the four had bad switches. I replaced all 4 switches on all three units with new ones and they work flawlessly now. The 4th unit is CIB and practically brand new, so I assume it was not used much.

50 minutes ago, NISMOPC said:

To test the tactile switch, just take a screwdriver or similar and cross the two legs for a split second on the power switch. If the unit turns on, then the tactile switch is bad. I have 4 7800's and three of the four had bad switches. I replaced all 4 switches on all three units with new ones and they work flawlessly now. The 4th unit is CIB and practically brand new, so I assume it was not used much.

Most of the issues with the original panel switches was due to all the flux that was used on the bottom of the board. Some of it seeps up into the switchs and causes them to corrode pretty badly. You could in theory, pop the switch open to clean them and then glue them back together, but for the labor involved in that, I'd just replace them out and be done with them in 5min.

But the fact that he isn't getting anything on the input side when it is connected up, would indicate it is likely his power adapter that has failed and not the console. 

A.S.A.P.

Always

Start

At

Power

On 1/14/2022 at 11:11 PM, superseth said:

Good to hear! I popped it open again and tested the power connector/ground based on some videos online and I am not getting anything on the reading really when I would expect 9v or more so I am going to look at a trying a more standard power source to see if it springs back to life. I'd love to keep an original power brick but at $50 on ebay that seems like a lot just to test things out.

If it is the power adapter you can get a replacement one here:

https://www.best-electronics-ca.com/New Best 7800 Power supply.htm

If you decide to go that route and are in the US, then probably just easiest to pick up the phone to place the order.

• Like 1

I wired up a barrel jack setup in-line with the existing power connector to test and can confirm that I blew the power brick somehow. I saw that site and got really confused how to order, I'll give them a call later this week and get a new proper power supply. Thanks for the tip about powering off using another switch, didn't imagine that would bust a (crazy expensive)power brick like that. :(

5 hours ago, superseth said:

I wired up a barrel jack setup in-line with the existing power connector to test and can confirm that I blew the power brick somehow. I saw that site and got really confused how to order, I'll give them a call later this week and get a new proper power supply. Thanks for the tip about powering off using another switch, didn't imagine that would bust a (crazy expensive)power brick like that. :(

How to order:

call the number on Best's website between 1:30pm and 5pm Pacific Standard Time during the work week (monday through friday)

tell him what you want: " The New Best Atari 7800 Power Supply" (I doubt you'll need to say: Part No. CA025492-303   Model No. CX781)  U$D 21.00

He'll ask if you have ordered before, you say no (I assume you haven't)

He will ask for your name, address, and credit card number.

He won't give you a total, but he will get it shipped USPS priority the same day probably (if you are in the US). You can expect to pay around $21 plus about $2 tax, probably about $2 shipping insurance, and probably around $10 for shipping, so a total credit card bill of about $35.

Edited by john_q_atari
grammar