IGNORED

What's more vintage and more interesting than a C-64?

ClausB

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2022 at 9:10 PM, Leonard Smith said:

Excuses?  More like well-deserved.

I guess it's because whoever named "minnenials" was a dumb one since millenials aren't born DURING the millenium (Baby boomers aren't the generation that saw the babies of post-WWI growing? Duh) but are the peopel that grew during the 90's.

The older millenials are over 35 now.

And really, If millenials didn't learnt anything important... isn't that because boomers didn't bothered to teach them anything? ;)

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, CatPix said:

I guess it's because whoever named "minnenials" was a dumb one since millenials aren't born DURING the millenium (Baby boomers aren't the generation that saw the babies of post-WWI growing? Duh) but are the peopel that grew during the 90's.

The older millenials are over 35 now.

And really, If millenials didn't learnt anything important... isn't that because boomers didn't bothered to teach them anything? ;)

Similarly, whose idea were the participation trophies in the first place? ?

1 hour ago, CatPix said:

I guess it's because whoever named "minnenials" was a dumb one since millenials aren't born DURING the millenium

The term "Millenial" is moniker for the generation which would reach adulthood before or during the change in millennium.  That is, born in the last two decades of the 1900s*.  Really more of a marketing term as being 20 is generally considered to be an adult, and they were originally GenY, the children of GenX.  Which is where the "Zoomers" come from as GenZ.  After that?  Who knows.

Not dumb, but sociology.  We can have that debate.

* This, BTW, tends to change depending upon what research you read.  It appears that most consider 1977 the start of GenY, which makes little sense to me as that means I dated a GenY out of high school, and many of my friends married into Gen Y.  Notwithstanding, this means anyone 24 or under as of 2001 is considered a Millennial, and as there has to be a line somewhere I guess we can use the age that you can rent a car as the generational division.

16 minutes ago, The Usotsuki said:

I've usually seen 1982 as the start of "millennial" and 1978 the end of "Gen X".

Generally, 1979 or 1980 has been the end of GenX and the start of Millennials.  But, again, it depends upon which study to use as your basis, as most of them make minor adjustments to fit their conclusions.  Sociology is a beautiful discipline.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Not dumb, but sociology.  We can have that debate.

It is dumb because clearly, almost everybody I talked that about or I joked with "Millenials" though it meant "people born around the year 2000". In the same way that "baby-boomers" is the generation that was born from the baby-boom, not the generation that was reaching adulthood when the baby-boom happened.

And starting it in 1982? That's crazy. Technology moved so fast. It mean that a millenial born in 1982 would be flabbergasted at the idea of "same generation" kids born in 1998 having smartphones and social networks accounts at 10 when themselves wouldn't had even dreamt of that.

Tho I think "Millenials" is more used by journalists than sociologists. It's like boomers. Ironically, as "boomers" is used by kids and teenagers to talk about their parents... it mean that "boomers" are also "millenials" :D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2022 at 9:07 AM, CatPix said:

I guess it's because whoever named "minnenials" was a dumb one since millenials aren't born DURING the millenium

I'm often considered a millennial. As near as I can figure how that works:  If you recall about 1997 one of the big 3 networks (CBS?) started that "class of 2000" BS on slow news days for a few years, where they'd periodically show the oldsters how "crazy and different" it is growing up in that era--with our interwebs, music television, and vidya games. This "class of 2000" eventually became a common dividing line for the generations for whatever reason.  Since the class of 2000 was born in 1981-1982, many places draw the border at 1981, which drags me in, being class of '99.

Growing up we didn't know what our generation was called, just that we weren't Gen-x. "Millennial" only started showing up well after year 2000, and I have no idea why that one stuck over 'Gen-why?' or the other ones.

I work with a never-ending parade enlisted types who rotate in, and we've been fresh out of millennials coming through for a long time. The actual generational borders and names won't firm up until we decide we're in whatever the next one will be, but the currently-used "gen-z" name is even lamer than "gen-y" was, so it won't stick. 

Edited by Reaperman

On 1/31/2022 at 7:51 PM, CatPix said:

It is dumb because clearly, almost everybody I talked that about or I joked with "Millenials" though it meant "people born around the year 2000". In the same way that "baby-boomers" is the generation that was born from the baby-boom, not the generation that was reaching adulthood when the baby-boom happened.

And starting it in 1982? That's crazy. Technology moved so fast. It mean that a millenial born in 1982 would be flabbergasted at the idea of "same generation" kids born in 1998 having smartphones and social networks accounts at 10 when themselves wouldn't had even dreamt of that.

Tho I think "Millenials" is more used by journalists than sociologists. It's like boomers. Ironically, as "boomers" is used by kids and teenagers to talk about their parents... it mean that "boomers" are also "millenials" :D

Agreed. It's not altogether a sociology thing, but a socio-cultural/journalist thing. There is a vast gulf of difference between those of us born in the 80s and those in the 90s. As technology continues to evolve at a rapid pace, categorizing groups according to some arbitrary 25 year period is less and less tenable. Attitudes shift, and no group is ever monolithic and will never be again. Fragmentation is too great.

And as Old CS1 mentioned, the title is totally clickbait. The plane is cool, but that uploader is a dick for doing that.