IGNORED

Reducing noise with Atari 800 audio

cathrynm

Are there any mods for reducing noise on Atari 800 audio. It's not too bad, but I can basic hear it, even if the volume isn't too loud. I think it's always been like this?  I don't think it's worse than it was years back, but I'm open to suggestions about this. 

This is for the stock monitor connector with stock S-video output.

42 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

@cathrynm  when you say stock monitor which monitor are you connecting to? A TV monitor with an S-video in and audio RCAs or a dedicated monitor? Presumably your Din to Svideo cable has connections to LEFT/RIGHT audio, or just one channel audio, (either way mono sound)?

What quality cable are you using? 

:)

I'm connecting to an SVIdeo to VGA dongle, video just goes to the monitor.   Honestly, I have zero idea what quality my cable is, I have no idea where this came from, it's been lying around the house forever.  Maybe that's it.

@cathrynm  The Svideo to VGA would only carry the video signal. So does the S-video cable have the audio built in going off to a separate set of speakers as such, or audio inputs on your monitor if you have a monitor with inbuilt speakers. Basically just trying to acertain your audio set up. Then it might just be interference from the cable itself. 

Essentially the more specific you can be about your setup the better we can assist. :grin:

1 minute ago, Mclaneinc said:

What is the noise like, earth hum?

Sounds like AC line noise, kind of. Low level volume relative to the actual audio, but it's there enough for me to notice.  Actually, maybe I have ground loop issues, now that I think about it, I've seen this with other analog audio gear.