IGNORED

TI-99/4A Power Supply Noise

Krytol

I have two different TI-99 power supplies and one of them makes an audible buzz or hum when plugged in (it works.)  The other style adaptor does not make any sound.

Anyone else experience this? c03.gif

*thinks*

I may have. Haven't had it hooked up in a few months, but I seem to remember a hum when I plugged it in last time.

I think it comes froms the transformer in the psu kinda coming loose.... The way the coil is wrapped that is. It will eventually lead to failure of the power supply, but that may be a oretty long time. You COULD rewind the coiling around the transformer, but its easier to simply replace it, or live with it as long as it lasts. I have a generic Casio power hum for about 2 years. Annoying, but as yet harmless.

I've seen a few different power supply types, some of which have adapters and plug into other cords, crazy looking things! May be for overseas, but I always noticed with the TI ones that they all have an Ispected sticker on them, like for QC. :)  I'm wondering if yours passed the test or not. :P
WEll, yeah, after they shipped an entire batch of bad power suplies they HAD to QC 'em.

I've seen a few different power supply types, some of which have adapters and plug into other cords, crazy looking things! May be for overseas, but I always noticed with the TI ones that they all have an Ispected sticker on them, like for QC. :)  I'm wondering if yours passed the test or not. :P

The noisy one has all of those qualities! :lol: Really!

My TI power supply (with all it's QC stickers and glued on fuse) is completely silent. However, the power supply I have for my old Atari Pong machine makes quite a bit of noise. I don't know if this is any indication of impending failure though... I've still used it quite a few times despite the humming.

--Zero