IGNORED

Yet Another Sally To 65C02 Board

selgus

I know there have been a few other PCBs made to allow using a 65C02 processor inside of an ATARI 8-bit computer, I designed yet another one, but for use in my ATARI 67 XEP Portable project. I'm using all SMD parts, so the PCB is the actual size of the SALLY CPU chip, and implements the HALT and clock signals, allowing the use of a WDC65C02 CPU within the portable (or at least that is the idea). I know certain titles (mostly demos) won't work on my hardware, if they make use of the illegal instructions, but it was a interesting design project. I can just plug it into the CPU socket if I wish to use the 65C02.

I also have a feature flag in my BIOS source, that can make a 65C02 version, that makes use of the additional instructions for some slight speed-ups in certain routines. 

I've just finished the initial design and moving into the testing phase.

atari67xePortable-65c02-top.thumb.png.122205e7522e9c329f7b24681ef62dce.png

atari67xePortable-65c02-bot.thumb.png.e08e829400a5272f49c24492da232aba.png

• Like 16

• 2 weeks later...

Started assembling one board and ran into some issues. Because of the limited space, I needed to adjust some tolerances between certain components, to get them to physically fit next to each other, along with some parts shortages and having to use a different package (non-wide versions of the transceivers). I then needed to relayout a good portion of the board and getting revision 2 produced now..

atari67xePortable-65c02-bot.thumb.png.b9b2e44e1b28151d910ebd555ea087b0.pngatari67xePortable-65c02-top.thumb.png.7652b90c98069d75f5c9c5195ff5dbeb.png

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi - Looks great.  Are you selling these?
What use cases do you see in an Atari A8 like an 800XL?  Is it just a modern replacement for a busted Sally?
OR Is this mainly for fun/experimentation?

I noticed the MAC/65 Manual has a whole chapter dedicated to a discussion of the 65C02.  They detail one new addressing mode, a couple instructions with 'minor variations' and about 10 totally new instructions.

I always wondered if the 65C02 ever appeared in an Atari A8.  Based on your post (above) I would assume 'no'. Which makes me curious why it was included in the MAC/65 manual.  I think MAC/65 had ports for Apple and C64... maybe the 65C02 appeared in those systems.  Does anyone know?

image.png.9d1b2f300de32abe7b17228f4274c06e.png