IGNORED

Open Lara engine on the ATARI Jaguar

Gunther

19 minutes ago, XProger said:

I didn't find jaguar-sdk compatible with Windows, so I use the docker image under Linux + Virtual Jaguar as an emulator.

Also I can't find a compatible C++ compiler, when I try to build any cpp, it says

m68k-aout-gcc: main.cpp: C++ compiler not installed on this system

There is any solution other than rewriting all code in C?

I don't think that you be able to compile any C code for the RISCs though.

25 minutes ago, JagChris said:

@XProger what version of GCC are you using? I find it odd it doesn't have C++ support.

m68k-aout-gcc (GCC) 3.4.6

Just tried jagdev_102.exe SDK for Windows XP, after successful compilation the binary file won't start under Virtual Jaguar. I will check m68k-elf.

Edited by XProger

On 1/21/2022 at 6:34 PM, Sauron said:

His "list.ru" email indicates he's in Russia. I'm pretty sure Al banned all Russian IPs a long time ago due to the amount of spam and attacks that originate from that corner of the world. I'd imagine the developer could register here with a Gmail email address and by using a VPN.

I thought all of Russia was banned because of @VladR?

19 hours ago, Barone said:

Cut him some slack, CyranoJ. He was on track to deliver the ultimate 3D experience for the Jaguar that would prove once and for all that it's more powerful than any other console of that gen.
I'm inclined to believe he created such a powerful 3D 64-bit engine that it generated a vortex and suck him into a different dimension. He's probably still here but we can't see him since we're very limited lifeforms interacting through a 2D forum which cannot do the required math. :(

17 hours ago, JagChris said:

VladR is very talented but hampered by a contrariness not uncommon around here. Gorf etc. 

Intelligence is not the entire picture. Emotionality plays a lot into things.

He's probably on another of his bi-annual "9 month cross country moves".

@JagChris - constantly talking pure bullshit, and never delivering on anything talked about (for any platform in any continent ni any year), does not make someone intelligent.  If I talked about how awesome the rocket I am building was, performed the requisite number-wang about pounds of thrust, how big the rocket was, etc. but never delivered anything (or at best, a popcorn fart that went 3 feet in the air), I am not a rocket scientist.  I am a simple bullshit artist.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gunther said:

Duranik should finish Native first.

All they need besides time, is a way to do the same graphics, same framerate, etc. but with enough bus cycles to do sound without crashing the system.  Should be able to manage that in about a week.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Stephen said:

All they need besides time, is a way to do the same graphics, same framerate, etc. but with enough bus cycles to do sound without crashing the system.  Should be able to manage that in about a week.

It was just a joke.

Edited by Gunther
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, XProger said:

m68k-aout-gcc (GCC) 3.4.6

Just tried jagdev_102.exe SDK for Windows XP, after successful compilation the binary file won't start under Virtual Jaguar. I will check m68k-elf.

I have had news . M68k gcc may not support cpp. I found this add in that may help. Damn.

https://freesoft.dev/program/169912400#google_vignette

Edited by JagChris

13 hours ago, alucardX said:

I am not an experienced programmer, but how difficult is it to adapt this c++ code to c? Can we find replacement libraries and so forth?

It depends on how reliant on C++ specifics your code is. And how much used to do those kind of conversions you are.
There are tools that can help with that but the resulting C code may not exactly be human-friendly. 
You can find a decent discussion here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/737257/how-to-convert-c-code-to-c

The opposite (C to C++) would be much easier though. 

Edited by Barone
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Barone said:

It depends on how reliant on C++ specifics your code is. And how much used to do those kind of conversions you are.
There are tools that can help with that but the resulting C code may not exactly be human-friendly. 
You can find a decent discussion here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/737257/how-to-convert-c-code-to-c

The opposite (C to C++) would be much easier though. 

That is the direction I thought the answer would go. Thanks for answering that for me @Barone

• Like 1

21 hours ago, XProger said:

There is any solution other than rewriting all code in C?

I just disabled C++ support in the script that generates the SDK environment. If you're on Linux already, should be pretty easy in theory to add/remove the right parameters to the script where gcc is built for the SDK, but then again the reason I removed it is that generally means pulling in the whole libstdc++ build as well, and build issues tend to crop up when building these ancient codebases on modern compilers, so YMMV. Still, most likely easier than rewriting your while engine in C.

Note I've never gotten the 3D demo to run in emulation, but I didn't try that hard.