IGNORED

4th Annual Atari Homebrew Awards: Voting Information & Discussion

21 minutes ago, splendidnut said:

I think @chavert was asking about a "hacks" category being reintroduced in the 5th Annual Awards.

Yup, I was misreading.

21 minutes ago, splendidnut said:

Have there been any stellar / profound hacks done on games in the past year?  From my point of view, that would be the driving force of it being re-added back into the awards show.

IMO we would have to back to the last time hacks were part of the awards. So any hack after 2018. 

The problem is the sheer number of hacks, with a very low number of even mediocre hacks. So, who would want to create a list of them all and who would be willing to go through that list of ~1,200 hacks (2018 we had 306), 99% of them being completely negligible? I did the latter for 2018 and I was very happy that I didn't have to do it again.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 9:06 AM, chavert said:

Is there a chance to see the hack session again for the 5th Annual Atari Homebrew Awards ?

On 8/31/2022 at 12:57 PM, splendidnut said:

Have there been any stellar / profound hacks done on games in the past year?  From my point of view, that would be the driving force of it being re-added back into the awards show.

@splendidnut is correct. The number of transformative hacks are too low to include a category in the Atari Homebrew Awards.

On 8/31/2022 at 1:25 PM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

The problem is the sheer number of hacks, with a very low number of even mediocre hacks. So, who would want to create a list of them all and who would be willing to go through that list of ~1,200 hacks (2018 we had 306), 99% of them being completely negligible? I did the latter for 2018 and I was very happy that I didn't have to do it again.

@Thomas Jentzsch brings up another important reason why we don't include hacks anymore. It was a soul crushing amount of work to not only keep track of every hacked game but to evaluate hundreds of almost exactly the same game. Most of the nomination committee just didn't have the time to play through 20 Ms. Pac-Man hacks that only change the protagonist's graphics.

Saying that, we re-evaluate the award categories each year so this doesn't mean things can't change in the future, but I don't see it happening anytime soon for hacks. Of course this doesn't stop someone else from creating their own event to honour Atari 2600 hacks such as the one held for 2019.

- James

• Like 2

On 8/31/2022 at 12:58 PM, splendidnut said:

Also, @Albert : why is this forum located under Atari 7800 category?  Shouldn't this be in Atari General?  :)

Weird, thanks for the heads up! I'm not sure how this ended up in the 7800 subforum, I was pretty sure it was under the Atari General category before the forum migration. 

@Albert: Would you be able to move the Awards forum back under the Atari General area?

- James

4 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Weird, thanks for the heads up! I'm not sure how this ended up in the 7800 subforum, I was pretty sure it was under the Atari General category before the forum migration. 

@Albert: Would you be able to move the Awards forum back under the Atari General area?

No idea how that happened, and I'm the only one who could have moved it.  Unless it was something to do with the forum migration, which seems highly unlikely to me (and I haven't seen any other forums out of place).  I've moved it into the Atari General forum.

..Al

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Albert said:

No idea how that happened, and I'm the only one who could have moved it.  Unless it was something to do with the forum migration, which seems highly unlikely to me (and I haven't seen any other forums out of place).  I've moved it into the Atari General forum.

..Al

Thanks so much Al!

- James