IGNORED

nes help

tantone56

hey guys I just took out the old nes system and set it up. I was getting all stoked to play my favorite games but when I put them in the system they wont play :sad: All that happens is the light on the NES keeps blinking. Ive tried blowing on the bottom of the cartridge to get rid of dust but it doesnt work........any thoughts???????

There is a such code?

And I'm so jealous. I want a copy of River City Ransom pretty badly.

I would recommend that if you have further problems with blinking, to consider replacing the 72 pin connector. Either that or switch to using a cleaning kit for your games...which would include isopropyl rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs. That is what I do.

hey kepone you should really pick the game up off ebay its worth it. The two player mode is also great on it. brings back alot of memories from when I would play hours on end with my friends at it....anyway I was telling you about naked codes check em out http://www.endeneu.com/funstuff/nes/river/

I tried the code maybe im doing it wrong cause I cant get it to work but does anybody know how to do it???

hey guys I just took out the old nes system and set it up. I was getting all stoked to play my favorite games but when I put them in the system they wont play   :sad:  All that happens is the light on the NES keeps blinking.  Ive tried blowing on the bottom of the cartridge to get rid of dust but it doesnt work........any thoughts???????

One thing NES decks were bad for is eventually succumbing to the "blinking screen of death." This is almost always caused by dirty contacts and/or the contacts in the cartrige slot losing their resistance and no longer making proper contact with the edge connector of the cartriges.

Fortunately there's a cure.

Unfortunately, it's not for the faint of heart.

Here's what you need to do:

First, take a trusty, long #1 or #2 Philips screwdriver and remove all the screws from the bottom of the deck, flip it over, and remove the top.

Next, remove the RF sheilding.

Once the RF sheilding is removed, you'll have access to the PCB and cartrige connector. Remove the screws from the black cartrige slot, then remove it by slipping it forward off of the cartrige recepticle.

The actual cartrige recepticle itself is actually connected to the mainboard by an edge connector. You're going to need to remove it. Gently, but firmly, lift the left side (with the unit facing front, towards you) of the PCB up and, with the other hand, slowly work the cartrige recepticle off of the mainboard. As I said, it's connected by an edge connector, so it's fairly easy to remove.

Once you've removed it, you'll need to do two things.

1) Take a toothbrush dipped in isopropyl alcohol and scrub the contacts.

2) Take a small, thin tool (precision screwdrivers work great for this) and, one by one, bend each of the gold contacts on the top of the unit down by slipping the screwdriver behind each one, at an angle, and bending. Don't bend TOO much; there should still be a few millimeters of clearance between the top and bottom contacts. Try and get them as even as possible.

Once you've done this, slip the recepticle back on the mainboard the same way you removed it -- lift one side of the mainboard and wiggle the recepticle back on to its edge connector. Replace the cartrige slot and screws, the RF sheilding and screws, the top of the NES, and the screws in the bottom, and you're all done. Your games MAY be more difficult to insert and remove, but I almost guarantee it'll work good as new. I've refurbished a number of NES units this way.

I know last night, I got M.C. Kid's to work by pulling the cart out about 1/8th of an inch. I was surprised it worked, but it did.

Makes me wonder every time I insert a game why some work without adjustment and some need to be fiddled with to work. The connectors seem the same, but some don't always work.

I just clean each game because if it boots up, then that is how I know that it is worth it. :D

Some games require more patience than others. So far, the most troublesome carts for me would be the Tengen black carts.

YES! I'm glad I'm not the only one that has problems with Tengen black carts! Anyone know why this is or how to correct it??? :? It took me almost 15min before I could play a game of Gauntlet on Sunday!

YES!  I'm glad I'm not the only one that has problems with Tengen black carts!  Anyone know why this is or how to correct it???   :?   It took me almost 15min before I could play a game of Gauntlet on Sunday!

I don't have this problem.. because I have the licensed version. Must be some kind of difference between the two cart designs or boards. Weird, though.

Hello all, Had an idea for anyone else with the 'flashing light' problem on thier nes's. Sure, you can replace the 72-pin connector. Would imagine it not being very cheap, and not too easy. The cleaning kits only do so much, the 72-pin connectors just 'wear out', actually it seems they get bent so the cart. doesn't make good contact. So, if you're at wits' end try this: Take your NES apart (6 Phillips screws) take of the silver RF Shield, remove the 6 screws holding the black spring-loaded cart. holder, to expose the 72-pin connector. Use a pointed steel dental pick (get 'em from Model supply stores, like squadron.com) and slip the end under each of the bent feelers at the top of the connector, and just bend them out slightly, using the pick as a crowbar. Just don't bend them out so much that they 'pop' out of the plastic surroundinf the connector, go slow. Reassemble, dont screw down the front screws of the black plastic carrier to much, the carts. won't lock down otherwise. Now, the end result is carts. are harder to insert and remove this way, but after doing this on my 2 NES's ALL 25 of my carts. work fine, first time, everytime!! You may still have to clean some trouble carts., but this will help a lot. (Not recommended unless you are desperate though, don't want to get flamed for 'breaking' someones sys. !

Hope this helps

Ya know what fixed my NES?

I took a cleaning kit. The full kit, so I had the system cleaner as well as the craptacular wands.

I shoved the deck cleaner in and out a few times.

I removed it.

I wiped it clean with a q-tip dipped in alcohol.

I shoved it back in and took it back out.

Cleaned it again.

Lather rinse repeat.

After turning both ends of 4 q-tips BLACK, it started not coming out dirty.

So then I cleaned my cartridges, which were far less grungy, just to avoid soiling my new shiny cart slot. Apparently everyone cleans the carts, but no one ever cleans the deck.

Mario/Duck Hunt, by far my most problematic cart, now works 1st time every time.

Moral of the story: CLEAN YOUR DECK!

Hope this helps

Temporary solution. Didn't last long.

You gotta be kidding! I have two decks, one I keep at my GF's place and one at mine. The one at her place I replaced the 72-pin connector. The one at my place I just cleaned and bent back the connectors. We both keep our games very clean to the only variable is the connector. Well I have no problems getting games to play at my place, but god forbid I want to play 5-min of TMNT at her place before work! It'll take me that long just to get a steady red light with a scrambled picture!