IGNORED

What are the funniest games of all time (best humour/comedy)?

Hi guys! I recently realized I was having a hard time getting past 5-30 minutes playtime in games devoid of comedy, especially if there's somewhat much dialogue. So I started googling around for a list of the funniest games, but to my surprise I couldn't find a list! 

What games have made you laugh out loud or amused you the most? What would be your funniest games of all time (best humour/comedy)?

I came up with a few off the top of my head to start off with:

*Classic, comedic point and click games:
- the Monkey Island games
- Sam & Max hit the road
- Day of the Tentacle

*Wario games have a weird and ridiculous humour that you just have to love. 
- the Wario Land games = classic cartoon mayhem with his "accident forms".
- the Wario Ware games capture that shitty B-game vibe in a funny way, while in reality being great games.

*Paper Mario
- Paper Mario Color Splash is one of the funniest and most beautiful looking games I remember playing. It had me constantly laughing and I had a super good time. (Origami King stole all the praise this title should've gotten).
- Paper Mario the Origami King. Beautiful and funny (but in my opinion way worse combat than sticker star or color splash).
- I've heard that the Paper Mario series in general is very comedic. Haven't played the early ones though.

*Mario & Luigi RPG series.
- Haven't played them much, but the little I've played a few titles, I already got some giggles.

- Deathspank. Pretty fun dialogue.
- Worms series. Fun cartoon graphics and funny voice overs.

- I haven't played that many RPG's but I've heard that Dragon Quest VIII and XI should be pretty funny. From what I've seen so far, at least the voice acting is really over the top and fun. 

If you have any experience of some of these games or game series, please let us know which ones you think are the most funny. 

I also wanted to mention that many games on old systems are really funny. Some probably unintentionally, but the limitations many times make them look both visually striking and humorous (because of the simplicity).

bruceLee.thumb.jpg.982c74b942564045da5c15929b55adf7.jpg

PixelMarios.thumb.jpg.b21ab9a38b9d5c9c27718bb0244b2ea8.jpg

For example Graphic design and cartoons use/have the same strengths and uses the same techniques, like restricted palette, a simple striking "message" and the viewer "filling out the rest" themselves.

smurfAtari2600.png.68377a4236e3100e0d6c4d7c5f508d8c.png

Anyhow, what are your favorite funny games of all time?

• Like 1

Great topic @Turbo Laser Lynx.  The point n clicks in the OP and Portal 2 mentioned by @Razzie.P are what came to mind from the thread title.  I might throw a vote in for the Rayman Raving Rabbids series too.

The "You Don't Know Jack" and "Jackbox Party Pack" games have easily produced the most laughs from me, but that isn't really the game being funny.  It's more like it creates the opportunity for humor.  There's also a certain class of game where the gameplay itself is kinda funny (as opposed to in-game dialog).  An old example would be Circus Atari and a new one might be Human Fall Flat or Totally Reliable Delivery Service.

And yeah RPGs - the Bioware games have some funny dialog here and there for sure.  I just finished a playthrough of Mass Effect 1-3 and there are definitely some "laugh out loud" moments in there, but I think Portal 2 really outclasses everything else I've ever played (from a dialog perspective).

• Like 2

Thanks guys! Many of these I hadn't heard about before. Got to check them out. I didn't realize portal 2 would be a funny game! :o It looks so serious.

42 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

Discworld

Discworld 2  (my number 2 choice)

Ah yes, I remember the computer magazines writing about Eric Idle voice acting in these. Haven't gotten around playing any of them yet though.

23 minutes ago, wongojack said:

Great topic @Turbo Laser Lynx

Thanks man! ?

I might throw a vote in for the Rayman Raving Rabbids series too.

Damn, how could I forget? I love these games and the silly Rabbids!

There's also a certain class of game where the gameplay itself is kinda funny (as opposed to in-game dialog).  An old example would be Circus Atari and a new one might be Human Fall Flat or Totally Reliable Delivery Service.

Yes! Good point. All of these games made me lol instantly when I checked out some videos. ?

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, ChildOfCv said:

Is Discworld based on the Terry Pratchet novels?

Yes they are, and they are an incredible way to experience the world in the novels.  The gameplay is classic point n click type stuff and the puzzles (from what I remember) are very tough.  I played them both on the original Playstation and never finished either.  There is A LOT of care and love poured into the art and dialog in those games.  I played one of them when I lived in France and all of it was translated very well where the humor still came through.  My wife and I still quote one of the French versions of the songs to each other.

Damnit . . . now I need to finish a Disworld game before I die (but in English).

Sam and Max Hit the Road; I was spouting lines from that game for years.

Sam:
Hello.

Max:
This don't look like the Lincoln Tunnel, Sam.

Sam:
Looks to me like we've got a marginally volatile hostage situation here, Max.

Max:
Oohh! Does this mean we get to kick some puppy-white mad scientist butt?

Sam:
Can't think of a reason not to.

Sam:
So let me get this straight. You want us to go traipsing all over the country looking for a soggy bigfoot?

Max:
I've never been traipsing before. Does it hurt?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 7800Knight said:

Sam and Max Hit the Road; I was spouting lines from that game for years.

Sam:
Hello.

Max:
This don't look like the Lincoln Tunnel, Sam.

Sam:
Looks to me like we've got a marginally volatile hostage situation here, Max.

Max:
Oohh! Does this mean we get to kick some puppy-white mad scientist butt?

Sam:
Can't think of a reason not to.

Sam:
So let me get this straight. You want us to go traipsing all over the country looking for a soggy bigfoot?

Max:
I've never been traipsing before. Does it hurt?

Sam: (to Stucky's employee)  My little buddy needs to use the facilities

Max: Facilities be damned! I need a bathroom!

• Like 1

Weird Dreams - First time I saw this in the 90s I thought it was hilarious.  I don't know if it's as funny now.

The Douglas Adams Games - (Hitchhikers Guide and Bureaucracy). 

The Sims - First time I played, I created a family and moved them into their new house.  Within 2 minutes one of them managed to start the kitchen on fire (probably by preparing a salad).   The rest of the family runs into the kitchen and starts yelling "FIRE!"    I instructed them to leave several times,  but they kept coming back in front of the burning stove, yelling "fire".   Eventually all but one burned to death.   Yeah it sounds morbid, but it was so absurd and unexpected that I could not stop laughing over it.   I soon learned that I should have put a smoke detector over the stove, but I didn't know!

For more Sims humor, check out this collection of Sim's 3 Patch Notes:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wongojack said:

The "You Don't Know Jack" and "Jackbox Party Pack" games have easily produced the most laughs from me, but that isn't really the game being funny.  It's more like it creates the opportunity for humor.

Good one.   Another game in that vein you might want to check out is called "Use Your Words". 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, wongojack said:

There's also a certain class of game where the gameplay itself is kinda funny (as opposed to in-game dialog).  An old example would be Circus Atari and a new one might be Human Fall Flat or Totally Reliable Delivery Service.

I just realised Goat Simulator falls into this genre as well. That game seemed really well known at the time. Got a few laughs out of it.

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx
  • Like 2

Sam and Max is mentioned several times, but I give a nod to the very well-done Grim Fandango.  "My scythe--I like to keep it next to where my heart used to be."

The Space Quest series has more slapsticky moments than King's Quest, but both Sierra series have some really funny parts.  I also agree with the Douglas Adams' Infocom games.

• Like 2

I don´t remember the name of it, but there is a game where you play as an alien (I think) trying to behave as a human, but the controls are absurd (one set of controls for legs and one for arms or something like that), so comedy ensues. It can also be played in co-op. Perhaps somebody knows what game I am thinking about. It is a modern game. I am guessing around 7 years old.

• Haha 1

The first 2 Monkey Island games are great, even if the pacing of a point-and-click adventure game makes it hard to really nail a comic delivery, even in the "talkie" version. As a result, it comes off as more clever than laugh-out-loud funny, especially if you have to repeat something or solve an obscure puzzle. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis has some comic bits as well, and fits in nicely with Day of the Tentacle and Sam and Max. Those LucasArts games were really special.

The Deponia series is supposed to have that kind of humor, and I keep meaning to check it out. There are other modern games that attempt this genre like HMS Spiffing. Some of the European attempts at channeling Terry Pratchett are better than others, and you have to buy into the twee aesthetic to enjoy it. For example, as much as I liked Douglas Adams when I was a kid, stuff like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Starship Titanic are not fun for me anymore. 

I think the best "funny" games are those that put the human participants in situations where they can make their own humor. Party games like the Jackbox series are good at this. Fortnite, Rocket League, Mario Party, and even something like Atari Warlords can fall into this category too, with the right participants, but they don't depend on scripted humor, just ridiculous situations. 

Untitled Goose Game is like this, too. Ridiculous situations that don't depend on scripted "jokes" to be funny. 

• Like 4

Crash Bandicoot games on PlayStation make me chuckle. Lots of goofiness. Cortex sounds like Mr. Crabs (same voice actor, not in Crash 1 though) which adds unintentional humor. 

I've been playing PS Road Rash and it makes me laugh too. When you run over pedestrians and see 1 frame of their hit animation, also when racers wipe out or even when you wipe out, it is funny. The art and FMV clips are humorous.

1 hour ago, Lord Mushroom said:

I don´t remember the name of it, but there is a game where you play as an alien (I think) trying to behave as a human, but the controls are absurd (one set of controls for legs and one for arms or something like that), so comedy ensues. It can also be played in co-op. Perhaps somebody knows what game I am thinking about. It is a modern game. I am guessing around 7 years old.

It is Octodad: Dadliest Catch.

A completely obscure and overlooked PS3 game, Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard, had me laughing out loud.  No one else I knew played it and no one reading this will ever likely play it in the future, but it was hilarious with lots of video game meta-jokes.  Quick search shows that Neil Patrick Harris and Will Arnett did voice acting for the game.