IGNORED

3DO ODE's?

Sonaru

6 hours ago, Sonaru said:

How reliable would you say is using a usb flash drive over a normal USB hard drive? 

Define "reliability."  Are you talking about total failure vs. other problems such as fragmentation or the like?  I myself have never had a problem with USB flash drives, whereas I cannot say the same for SD cards.  I'm not sure how many have put a USB HDD into the mnemo thing, or whether the 3DO itself supplies enough power, I really don't know.  If anything, maybe a smaller capacity SSD?  You can get flash sticks for peanuts now, and you really only need maybe 256GB if you wish to store EVERY iso from every region on it. 

PS: Humble Bazooka make a few 3D-printed pieces for install.
https://www.humblebazooka.com/product-category/consoles/3do/

Why does he only accept bitcoin? Also what is "launch ISO Images without RSA sign"? I'm asked whether or not I want this feature on checkout. Also reading this made me think that maybe it's just not worth ordering one at this point https://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/2016/03/stone-age-gamer-drops-usb-gdrom.html?m=1

Also seems like a bad time to order anything from Russia or Ukraine because the on-going tensions may disrupt packages. 

47 minutes ago, Sonaru said:

Thanks for the link! Looks like it's possible to use a USB to sd card adapter as there is a sd card extension bracket for sale. 

Well you would need TWO adapters, connected together, just saying.  I myself used a USB male to female extension, and mounted it on the side of the FZ-1.

22 minutes ago, Sonaru said:

Why does he only accept bitcoin? Also what is "launch ISO Images without RSA sign"? I'm asked whether or not I want this feature on checkout. Also reading this made me think that maybe it's just not worth ordering one at this point https://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/2016/03/stone-age-gamer-drops-usb-gdrom.html?m=1

Also seems like a bad time to order anything from Russia or Ukraine because the on-going tensions may disrupt packages. 

GOODNESS GRACIOUS!!@!@!#$!#$!#$!#!  This is what happens when you rely on a completely unreliable and unstable scam for a currency.  The problem is that BTC took a nosedive a week ago or so, and so the conversion to USD is now completely awful, and he of course doesn't bother shifting his prices.  You CANNOT list BTC as a currency for payment and not build in some type of fluctuation on the price.  I would NOT buy this at this time, unless he adjusts his BTC prices, because it's going to cost double what one might have made a month ago.  In the past he priced with EUR, which is stable against USD and anything else.  Usually cost around $190 for FZ-1, which would currently cost you well over $300!!!

As for shipping, he's always been very prompted with that, but I believe he's in Belarus which is not currently under threat of a Russian siege.

Edited by Greg2600

So I have just discovered this is a NEW ODE being developed by a few guys over at The 3DO Community Discord group.  I haven't really seen anything in the way of test footage or prototype though like many projects the chip shortages have delayed it.  From what I gathered, it may be similar to the Satiator in that you connect via one of the expansion ports. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, str0m said:

That would be good if reasonably priced and doesn't require soldering which is beyond me!

I'm fairly certain it's going to be an external plug-in device.  Someone mentioned the 68-pin AV port, which was used for the optional FMV decoding add-on's.  Maybe they need to use that one to be able to emulate that as well; however, the 30-pin I/O port at the back was designed for peripherals like a CD-ROM.  Granted only the Japanese memory manager uses it, but I should think it's the perfect port as it is high-speed to begin with.  mnemo was a fool never to have just used that port, as he could have sold the SAME device no matter what 3DO you have, as I think they all have that port.

20 hours ago, Sonaru said:

Awesome! Glad that a new ODE is in development. I'll check out their discord if they let people join. 

It's public.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/27/2022 at 12:57 PM, Greg2600 said:

Well you would need TWO adapters, connected together, just saying.  I myself used a USB male to female extension, and mounted it on the side of the FZ-1.

GOODNESS GRACIOUS!!@!@!#$!#$!#$!#!  This is what happens when you rely on a completely unreliable and unstable scam for a currency.  The problem is that BTC took a nosedive a week ago or so, and so the conversion to USD is now completely awful, and he of course doesn't bother shifting his prices.  You CANNOT list BTC as a currency for payment and not build in some type of fluctuation on the price.  I would NOT buy this at this time, unless he adjusts his BTC prices, because it's going to cost double what one might have made a month ago.  In the past he priced with EUR, which is stable against USD and anything else.  Usually cost around $190 for FZ-1, which would currently cost you well over $300!!!

As for shipping, he's always been very prompted with that, but I believe he's in Belarus which is not currently under threat of a Russian siege.

Would you mind linking the specific USB extension you used and any tips on mounting it?

59 minutes ago, mario64 said:

Would you mind linking the specific USB extension you used and any tips on mounting it?

You inquired on that thread, actually.  If this burgeoning project becomes available, I will gladly try to get that, and pull the mnemo crud out. 

Honestly, had I had to do it all over again, I probably would have used this 3D printed stuff and gone with adapters to an SD-card slot.

• Like 1

It's not ready just yet, but the 3DO ODE has been announced!!!  First editions will either be internal for FZ-1 systems (other models in the future) or a fully compatible X-Port version that will plug directly into the rear I/O port of any 3DO.  This is terrific.  MicroSD, USB, a modern menu, and most of all, it supports basically all image formats (including redump bin/cue which mnemo doesn't).  You can register now (non-binding).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Filled mine in :) Whilst an internal one would be a lot neater in my FZ10, if the external version works exactly the same ie no speed issues then I think I would prefer that as it will be out of sight and leaves the console standard should I want to use a real disc

7 hours ago, Sonaru said:

Sorry I meant if the new internal ODE would support EM256 emulation, meaning that I don't need the official save peripheral. 

According to that website, it won't.  Only the Xport version will have the EM-256 support.  The internal versions will basically only be emulating the CD Drive, a la mnemo's board.  VCD's, to my knowledge, is not added to either.  Obviously should the guys doing this develop these features.....but I don't know the 3DO design very well as to what data can be sent where.

Edited by Greg2600
  • Like 2