IGNORED

Unverified SecondBASIC Examples

Gemintronic

Inspired by TheDevil'sCompass and his post I decided to gather all the SecondBASIC examples into one archive.  These are in pretty rough shape, though.

* Some have been converted from BasiEgaXorz and may not work due to changes in SecondBASIC.

* Some may not work as they came from an earlier version of SecondBASIC

* Some may just be plain corrupted or accidentally included even though they are not an example.

In order to open them in SecondBASIC Studio you must go File -> Open -> Import SBS Project

unverifiedsbsexamples.zip

• Like 3

I've gone through all of the examples provided by Gemintronic and got the vast majority of them to work. I touched up a few of them to add more context and fixed any bugs that I found. Overall, there are some great examples to learn from in this batch. I especially like "99Bottles", "bounce", "minimaze", and "richardescape1". Note: there are two versions of "richardescape1", one of which is titled "richardscape1". I made more changes to the "escape1" file and left the "scape1" fairly original so that people could compare and make their own changes to improve its functionality.

The examples also uncovered a few bugs with SecondBasic. There appears to be a problem with math problems that require "()" to calculate correctly. As an example: Print 50+2-((10*2)+(15/3)) should return the value of 27 but in SecondBasic the returned value is 52. In order to get it calculate correctly, assign variables to the inner most parts: a=10*2, b=15/3 : Print 50+2-(a+b). Unless I'm missing something, the function Right$ seems to behave a bit odd when used to create another string. Print "start|"+Right$("hello",1)+"|sup" produces the output of: start|o|sup while a$="start|"+Right$("hello",1)+"|sup" : Print a$ as in the "strings" example produces the output of: start|ollo|sup. Last thing I noticed was some functions do not compile if a comment is placed on the same line. Best workaround in this case is to get in the habit of keeping comments on separate lines.

Tinker around with these examples, lots of great information to learn from. Thanks to Gemintronic for providing these.

VerifiedSBExamples.7z

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm a dev with tons of modern experience (.NET 4.x, .NET Core, Angular, and Flutter/Dart) but very limited experience with C and BASIC (mostly VB.NET). Would I be better off starting with SecondBASIC or Stephane's SGDK? I would love to make a Genesis game but the learning curve for me is going to just take some time. Whatever will speed things along would be the best. There's a ton in that SecondBASIC example archive so my guess is that's where I'd want to go.

It's making pixel art that really seems like the daunting task to me. SGDK does not have its own tile editor. Does SecondBASIC?

I can't really comment on SGDK as I haven't looked into it much. SecondBASIC is easy to get into especially with all of the examples that have been posted recently. There is a tile editor available from Second Dimension called PXL: https://second-dimension.com/downloads. It is lacking in some areas, but it's a good starting point at least.

If you haven't already, be sure to also check out the SecondBASIC snake game I posted in this forum. It's a text character only version that includes a heavily commented source file. Gemintronic also posted additional links to some more examples to learn from.

I have bought homebrewing parts from Second Dimension and also tested SecondBASIC for them.  So, obviously I have a bias.

Growing up I used (in my opinion) much more relaxed languages than C including QuickBASIC, Foxpro and Game Maker.  All of those had integrated IDEs.  So, I'm oriented towards communities and dev tools like SecondBASIC over SGDK.

There's another ancient tile editor called SGTD here:

https://devster.monkeeh.com/sega/sgtd/#drawtools

My workflow for importing assets from paint programs is confusing and unworkable.  I'd try the various ways of contacting Second Dimension for much better advice:

https://www.second-dimension.com/contact

• 1 year later...