IGNORED

Super r type

27 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Uh... this is probably the worst R-Type game. It has terrible, terrible slowdown and when you die it sends you all the way back to the beginning of the stage. R-Type III is the one you want.

I appreciate the advice.... Thank you.... Please tell me its worth playing! 

19 minutes ago, Enduro75 said:

I appreciate the advice.... Thank you.... Please tell me its worth playing! 

There is an SA-1 hack for it that turns it into an amazing game. Dump your cart, patch it, and enjoy getting slaughtered by one of the most difficult R-Type games.

Unless you meant R-Type III. That game is excellent. Some slowdown on occasion, but it's one of the best R-Type games and I believe it's also considered to be one of the most difficult, as well.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Uh... this is probably the worst R-Type game. It has terrible, terrible slowdown and when you die it sends you all the way back to the beginning of the stage. R-Type III is the one you want.

Yeah, no.  Garbage take.

@Enduro75  Super R•Type is actually a pretty decent game.  It's absolutely worth playing.  The slowdown isn't as bad as he's making it out to be, either.  The only people who gripe about it are speed runners.  We played on consoles and used CRTs back then.  We weren't using emulators or playing on 48" flat screen plasma TVs.  Irem developers were fully aware of the system's limitations before the game was released.  Same goes for Konami with the port of Gradius III.  Speed runners act like the modifications are fixing something when it wasn't broken to begin with.  It's purely an obsession with speed, nothing more.  As for challenge, difficulty picks up for the second loop.  There's also the option to limit lives, weaponry, or play a passive style.  Shooters don't need to be bullet hells and/or run at a blazing speed in order to be challenging.  Thankfully, many developers realized this long before speed runners came along.  The price you paid for Super R•Type in the box (assuming the game still runs well) is a good deal.  Play it and enjoy it.  Cheers.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I agree, the whole "awful slowdowns in SNES STGs" is one of the misguided modern hyperboles in regard to retro-gaming. I've just got my first real SNES recently, Super R-Type was one of the first games I had tried and was surprised at how much exaggerated the whole slowdown thing is (and it's not as if it wasn't a regular feature in many other games, even in the arcades).

Super R-Type might not be the best game from this series, but it's still R-Type - meaning it's awesome nonetheless.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

You did fine.  It's not the best shooter, but there are equally as many worse ones on the system.  The whole thing about SNES and slowdown is both true and a lie, it came down to how rushed along, badly optimized, or just piss poorly coded a good many of the games that exhibit it are.  Gradius III has a good amount, but it was also a launch game, so it has that and some sprite drop out being rushed and badly optimized.  I'm using that as a reference, because you can follow the dates after with the same engine in 3 Parodius sequels.  The first one had some slowing, but like 1/2 that of Gradius and no sprite flicker, then the second was basically smooth, the third was, but it's so chatty and busy it went with the SA1 to boost the game, so even Konami knew what limits there were.  Other games such as Axelay by this or the amazing Space Megaforce(Super Aleste on SFC) runs amazing and has quite a bit going on including crazy graphics tricks in both.

SRT is just an old game so it has some rush factor issues, lesser than Gradius so it's fine, it's just nasty hard is all, unless you're a shooter pro or R-Type fanatic then it's just another in the line...most people aren't.  RT3 is far better, but the price will make you puke because scum...  I'd love to own it again, but not paying that...hah.  If you want to see some others that push it, look to Japan still, such as Spriggan Powered and Macross Scrambled Valykrie does a great job too.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, youxia said:

I agree, the whole "awful slowdowns in SNES STGs" is one of the misguided modern hyperboles in regard to retro-gaming. I've just got my first real SNES recently, Super R-Type was one of the first games I had tried and was surprised at how much exaggerated the whole slowdown thing is (and it's not as if it wasn't a regular feature in many other games, even in the arcades).

Super R-Type might not be the best game from this series, but it's still R-Type - meaning it's awesome nonetheless.

I remember finally buying Gradius III for the SNES a couple years ago and wondering why the hell anyone was complaining about slowdown.  I had previously read about the hack and seen footage of it on YouTube.  It's one thing to have this annoying, unhealthy obsession with speed but to go around telling others that this is the way it was meant to be played is sanctimonious nonsense.  They're constantly trying to recruit people to play games the way they do.  More than likely, they neglected to play the subsequent loops for Gradius III.  Any serious fan of the series will tell you that this is where the challenge lies.  Have them play Loop 4 on Normal or Loop 3 on Arcade and you probably won't hear a peep out of them about slowdown.

I had a lot of fun with Super R•Type.  Tight controls (a must for any shooter).  The music's ok, but it tends to get drowned out by the sound effects (which are great).  You can tell that a lot of work went into the visuals.  Big, colorful sprites and nice, detailed backgrounds.  I'm not the biggest fan of the series (I much prefer Gradius), but this is a good game.

• Like 1

The game definitely has some issues that will put people off of it (like lack of checkpoints and the slowdown), but I absolutely think it's worth playing. There's some really funky music, excellent visuals and generally solid level design. Despite a lot of other solid shooters on the system, it's probably the one I come back to the most. 

People saying to just go straight to the SA-1 hacked version are probably also the same people that have barely played the game before and have no idea what they are getting themselves into. Super R-Type can be hard to learn (as with any R-Type game), but the slowdown is a massive crutch and gives you far more time to react. Without it, bullets are insanely fast and it makes learning the game extremely difficult. I recommend the SA-1 version to experts of the game, not beginners.

Regarding R-Type III, it does some novel things but also has some absolutely atrocious levels (Stage 4, I'm looking at you). There's this common thread of it being seen as this superb shooter, but I just don't see it. I forced myself to learn it and while I still enjoy it, I find it to be way less consistent than Super R-Type. I still need to tackle its second loop though..

• Like 3