IGNORED

Atrai 2600 spotted in Hulu series "The Hardy Boys"

Tidus79001

I was watching The Hardy Boys series on Hulu and it saw this. It was hard to make out because it was so dark in the scene (in the screen capture I made after this yon can see how dark it was and looks they were supposed to be playing with the lights turned off in the room), but knowing Atari as I do I recognized it as an Atari 2600 joystick. I did a screen capture of the part where it was shown and brightened up the image.

unknown.png

What is funny is they show this game on the screen which looks to me like a 16-bit game. Either the person who setup this scene was born in the Nintendo era or later and has never seen or played an Atari console or just is too lazy to research for period accuracy the type of games that the Atari 2600 was capable of. I am not sure what game they are showing but maybe someone else will recognize it from this screen capture.

unknown.png

Here is another another screen capture from that same scene. Again I have brightened up the image so that it can be seen. There is a 6 switch Atari 2600 (looks like a light sixer to me based on the trim around the front face panel). Can't make out what the name is on the label of the cartridge that is in the cartridge slot. Also, looks like this system has only the power switch and the rest of thee switches are gone, so most likely this a long time dead Atari 2600.

unknown.png

• Like 1

Does anyone recognize the game they are showing on the screen?  There were a few other screens of the game as well in that opening scene in the season 1, episode 1 so it does look like it might be an actual real game, but of course this could all just be mock video showing what resembles a game.  We do know for certain that what is being shown as the game played on this Atari 2600 that this isn't an Atari 2600 game since it greatly exceeds the capabilities of what an Atari 2600 can do and judging it by what is seen would suggest that this is 16-bit game.  Also this Atari 2600 doesn't even look like it is functional let alone hooked up to a TV or plugged into wall for power and the controller also appears to not be plugged into the Atari 2600 and might not even have a cord, but it looks like in both image the joystick are being held backward since you never see a fire button and the both boys seem to holding the joystick in a manner that they wouldn't be able to properly use it.

40 minutes ago, Tempest said:

I do believe you're correct

It is hard to know what the actual color blue the text on the label is since the scene was very dark and I had to make a significant adjustment for brightness so that it was even possible to see the console as much as you see it here in the screen capture that I posted in this thread.  For comparison as to how dark this scene was take a look at the second image that I posted for which no adjustment was made at all.

On 1/29/2022 at 10:46 PM, cvga said:

That's an interesting grip on the joystick. Is the fire button even in the right spot? Not sure how he'd use it if so.

The following website says "Hold my beer":

https://www.boredpanda.com/soldering-iron-stock-image-fails/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

If you use a soldering iron, you'll be cringing soon enough... never mind that applying heat to a lithium battery is even dumber than holding the iron like THAT...  ?  And, of course, any hard drive exposed to air like that won't last long the moment one itty bitty dust bunny crosses the heads' path...

Edited by CommodoreDecker
  • Like 1