IGNORED

Retrobuit Sega controllers on a 2600 or 7800?

CaptainBreakout

Hiya!

I was just wondering if anyone had any experiences trying the new Retrobit Sega 8-button controllers with an original 2600, or a 7800 (with or without a seagull adaptor).

There's a bluetooth one and a 2.4ghz version. I just ordered a bluetooth one, but haven't bought a receiver yet (those are sold separately, whereas the "shadow" 2.4ghz comes with a USB and a Genesis dongle). 

Here's a link for the 2.4ghz one on Castlemania Games (I'm not affiliated with them, but I buy from them pretty regularly)

Anyway, I would love to know if these work with the old Ataris or not. I might buy additional receivers and leave them plugged into the Ataris if I know they will work.

Any experience with these controllers would be helpful.  Thanks!!

https://castlemaniagames.com/collections/sega/products/copy-of-sega-genesis-8-button-arcade-pad-2-4-ghz-wireless-black

As far as I know, the seagull78 and ikonsgr's (I only have the 5200 but I think he makes a 2600/7800 one as well) older versions of the adapters do not support wireless controllers as the correct power line is not populated, but ikonsgr has said that his newer versions of the adapter do support powering the wireless receivers so it should work. 

grips03 has an open source adapter available to use Sega controllers like the seagull78, but it also does not support wireless dongles but I believe can be made to buy adding a jumper between 2 pins. I'm just not sure which. 

That being said, they should work on the 2600 and 7800 one button games. You'd only need an adapter to use 2 different buttons for those 7800 games.

EDIT:
I think I may have mixed something up. I'm not finding anything about a 7800 adapter on his blog page so I'm not sure anymore:

https://retroworkbench.blogspot.com/

Edited by Dopy25
  • Thanks 1

I'll have to look around again, but it seems to me that if you have the bluetooth adapter, you can modify it inside by adding a jumper between 2 pins. I believe 5 & 7 but I will find it first. After that, it will work on an atari without the use of an adapter. I can't remember if the seagull supports wireless or not. My apologies on my previous message not being clear, but I meant ikinsgr's older adapters. I have zero experience with the seagull. 

@CaptainBreakout

Here is what I found:

It is for the 8bitdo, so I'm not sure if it would be the same for the retrobit. I am sure you could make an adapter to swap those pins without having to open the retrobit receiver.

Edited by Dopy25
  • Thanks 1