IGNORED

Fried 5200 due to wrong power supply used...

CommodoreDecker

In haste, I swapped a 1050 power supply for the 5200 one and, oops, I fried my spare 5200.  When powering on, the power button glows red but pressing it on and off has no effect.

Putting in a cartridge has no effect.

Putting back my main 5200, I confirmed the switchbox is working just fine.

I know there's a flip-flop IC I need to replace (CD4013), which might be adequate.  What are the chances every chip on the board is fried?  I'm guessing that, since putting in a cartridge then plugging the system back in has no effect, more chips were fried.

Could there be any other components that were damaged by the use of AC? (Did the 5200 have capacitors on board?)

Thanks!

There is a main filter cap, but there is also the voltage regulators. Since you have the power light, that would indicate that at least one of those is working but it is possible the other is toasted and other main components might be fine. But it will require some troubleshooting and checks with a meter in various places to verify this.

• Like 1

Cool.  Will get the multimeter and soldering iron and start with the voltage regulators and find the uf rating for the cap and get spares for whatever's gone bad...  

Oh, if I take the 5200's newly-questionable chips and put them into a working 800XL, what are the chances that testing those 6502/Antic/GTIA/POKEY chips would fry the rest of the 800XL if they're fried or short-circuited in some way? 

Thanks!

Let's start with making sure you have power everywhere that is needed first before talking about swapping chips. And there is really only one cap in the system that might need replaced and that would be the main filter cap. If this is a 4 port, it might be time to go ahead and power convert it in the process so you don't need the RF switchbox anymore and it would come with a new much smaller and different value cap for the system.

• Like 1

If I use my multimeter to test power, where should I be checking?  (by  the voltage and ground pins of the chips and hopefully see +5v being returned?

I'll get a conversion kit ordered online ASAP as well. Those boxes are more annoying than outdated...

Thanks!

First is to check if you are getting voltages into the each of the regulators and that they are also outputting +5 from each. Vcc 1 is easier to test since it is on the back side, while Vcc 2 is trickier with the large filter cap in the way. Just attach the black probe from your meter to any ground point on the board. Even the RF modulator housing will work in this case. Red probe goes to the right most pin on each of the regulators as you are looking directly at them.

• Like 1

To add to -^Crossbow^-'s advice: take a look at the following post:

This is the summary of what I repaired on one of my 5200s that wouldn't power on.  Some of this likely won't apply to your situation, but it should give some idea of what to test.  FWIW, the power switch did nothing until Q8 and Q9 were replaced.  That one had me scratching my head for a bit.

• Like 1