IGNORED

Speech Synthesizer Schematic

Shift838

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Shift838 said:

I pulled up this schematic, but some of the values are hard to read.

Does anyone know what C2, CR1 and R6.

I think R6 is a 3.3m Ohm, but want to make sure.  Wondering if CR1 is a 61992 zener diode like: NZX16B,133 Nexperia | Mouser

From my schematic copy CR1 is exactly the 61992 zener, C2 seems to be a 10uF cap, on the schematic I have, but the one on the synth board is a 1uF 25v, R6 looks to be a 3.3m on paper, but the color bands look like brown, green, green, gold=1.5M ohms?

Edited by RickyDean
spelling, added content

6 hours ago, RickyDean said:

From my schematic copy CR1 is exactly the 61992 zener, C2 seems to be a 10uF cap, on the schematic I have, but the one on the synth board is a 1uF 25v, R6 looks to be a 3.3m on paper, but the color bands look like brown, green, green, gold=1.5M ohms?

Pretty sure that CR1 is NOT a zener. It is a PG1992, google suggests that an NTE519 is a modern equivalent. Or even a bog standard 1N4148 or 1N914.

The diode on my speech units appears to be a schottky type diode, not germanium or zener. I'm seeing P61992 on my schematic, but the "6" could be a "G". I trust Stuart's judgement here. When I had googled p61992 these images came up, I  thought that it was an old zener from the photos, but visually it's not. I did run a multimeter across the R6 in circuit and it was showing 208k ohms not M, but that was in circuit.

Untitled.jpg

34 minutes ago, RickyDean said:

The diode on my speech units appears to be a schottky type diode, not germanium or zener. I'm seeing P61992 on my schematic, but the "6" could be a "G". I trust Stuart's judgement here. When I had googled p61992 these images came up, I  thought that it was an old zener from the photos, but visually it's not. I did run a multimeter across the R6 in circuit and it was showing 208k ohms not M, but that was in circuit.

Untitled.jpg

I agree. PG1992 is a very "loose" diode on parameters and same one responsible in the console on the GROM bus creating the weird -.7V bias.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe and according to the schematic the speech synthesizer had an auxiliary board to be able to plug in some type of expansion speech module or something.  Does anyone have an actual photo of a speech synthesizer with this in it and were there any of the modules that actually made it out of TI into the hands of someone?

17 minutes ago, Shift838 said:

I believe and according to the schematic the speech synthesizer had an auxiliary board to be able to plug in some type of expansion speech module or something.  Does anyone have an actual photo of a speech synthesizer with this in it and were there any of the modules that actually made it out of TI into the hands of someone?

The boards are just a flat band cable attached to a connector that fits behind the cartridge door. None of the cartridges ever made it into the wild, so far as I know. Several folks have posted pictures of the inside of these early Speech Synthesizers. There are at least two variants of the cable, so not all of them will look alike. I believe Ciro has posted pictures of his, as has Klaus. A few more of us have one. They are definitely not all that common, as the number of consoles in circulation at the time these were made was really low, and uptake on them wasn't all that fast either as there wasn't a lot of early software taking advantage of them.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ksarul said:

The boards are just a flat band cable attached to a connector that fits behind the cartridge door. None of the cartridges ever made it into the wild, so far as I know. Several folks have posted pictures of the inside of these early Speech Synthesizers. There are at least two variants of the cable, so not all of them will look alike. I believe Ciro has posted pictures of his, as has Klaus. A few more of us have one. They are definitely not all that common, as the number of consoles in circulation at the time these were made was really low, and uptake on them wasn't all that fast either as there wasn't a lot of early software taking advantage of them.

When TE2 came out with "text-to-speech" they decided to pull the support for external speech modules, the plan was to have a few various ones for different subjects, like chemical, enginneering, etc.

The speed is the same as the internal ones they work similar to grom, you just send the address, and then start polling each one. I have a bunch of info and data on format and system, once I get fully settled in and all my stuff out of storage, I will scan in and release what I have.

I always wanted to design something to use the external mapped memory for adding extra groms or some other data instead of just speech, would be cool to build a SDCARD to speech bus converter. of course there is no DSR in the speech so for support, you have to add that as well, or via custom software in cartridge.

• Like 3