IGNORED

Do Xbox One/Series controllers work on 360?

Steven Pendleton

After like 20 minutes of searching online, I can only find people talking about wanting to use the 360 controller on the newer systems, but not the other way around.

I want to get a 360, but I want a better d-pad than what the 360 controller has, so I want one of the newer systems' controllers if they work on 360.

I haven't tested myself but the first page of results looking for "xbox one controller on 360" say no.

Both dpads are terrible in my opinion and borderline unusable for anything other than the odd press. If you are intending to play some games which use them heavily ie shooters, platform etc I would look for other options. I hate them so much that I actually use the analogue stick for Deathsmiles etc when I turn it on. I need to go look for something better! Maybe an adapter or one of the 8bitdo ones works, not sure

Yeah, I did eventually find that the Xbox One controller didn't work, but I was hoping that the Series controller works, as I have heard the d-pad is actually pretty good. I'd hoped that they'd all be compatible since I think they all use XInput, but apparently not. I did actually buy a 360 yesterday and I don't have any games for it yet, but I just got a shipping notification for Saidaioujou a few minutes ago, so that will be here within the next few days, likely tomorrow while I'm at work lol. I did download some demos, though, and I do hate the 360 d-pad, but I've used way worse d-pads.

I might actually try to find an arcade stick for it, as I'd rather play Cave arcade ports using an actual arcade controller, but for now I guess I'm stuck with the 360 controller.

11 hours ago, str0m said:

Wish the Cave games weren't so expense now second hand. I love them in the arcades but only in recent times found that a lot were released (JP mainly) for the 360/PS3/PS2, I have a couple but thats it.

Yeah, that's basically the reason that I bought a 360. My Saidaioujou super limited edition showed up today, so I played it for a while with the 360 controller. I have a Hori RAP N Hayabusa arcade stick for PS3/PS4/PS5/PC, and it shows up as an Xbox 360 controller when I plug it into my PC. I wonder if it works on the 360... probably not, but worth trying, I think.

Nope, does not work. I guess I'll just suffer with the 360 controller for now.

You can get the Cave games digitally, but few of them work on the Xbox One and Series, I think. This is why I prefer PC, as I'd rather not have to deal with the already unreliable and ageing 7th gen consoles. At least my 360 was apparently made in April of 2012, so it's only about 10 years old.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 2

Screw it. I'll do some research on those Brook converters and use my Hori stick with one of those if it doesn't induce a lot of lag that I won't notice either way since I'm not sensitive to lag at all unless it's really really bad, like 8 frames or more.

Everyone complains about 360 Saidaioujou's lag, but I'm playing it here on my 6ms input lag monitor + wired wireless 360 controller (yes, I have a wireless one that I connect with the cable thing since I'm too cheap to go buy batteries for it) and I don't notice any difference between it and playing something on like my Saturn or whatever on my CRT. Maybe a tiny little bit of lag on occasion, as I guess the lag also partially depends on the slowdown, but it's completely unnoticeable otherwise.

If you go for a modern stick for Xbox One, the Hori RAP model has a switch that puts it into 360 mode.

The quality of the 360 d-pad ranges from barely usable to perfectly fine depending on the model controller you have. My official black, wired 360 controller's d-pad is fine (model XB54237-001). The earlier white, wireless controller d-pads I have are almost unusable.

11 minutes ago, Austin said:

If you go for a modern stick for Xbox One, the Hori RAP model has a switch that puts it into 360 mode.

The quality of the 360 d-pad ranges from barely usable to perfectly fine depending on the model controller you have. My official black, wired 360 controller's d-pad is fine (model XB54237-001). The earlier white, wireless controller d-pads I have are almost unusable.

Alright, thanks. I am honestly surprised with the d-pad on my controller. Model number seems to be X853164-005. I actually bought it separately from the system, as it didn't come with one, so I just grabbed the controller that looked the cleanest at the store and the d-pad seems mostly fine. Not my preference, but after using it for a few days, it's perfectly adequate, and quite different from my experiences using my friends' 360 controllers 14 years ago... and I just realized that the first time I used a 360 was 14 years ago. Damn, I feel old now.

1 hour ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Alright, thanks. I am honestly surprised with the d-pad on my controller. Model number seems to be X853164-005. I actually bought it separately from the system, as it didn't come with one, so I just grabbed the controller that looked the cleanest at the store and the d-pad seems mostly fine. Not my preference, but after using it for a few days, it's perfectly adequate, and quite different from my experiences using my friends' 360 controllers 14 years ago... and I just realized that the first time I used a 360 was 14 years ago. Damn, I feel old now.

Yeah the d-pad has a horrible reputation, but the truth is it really depends on the model of controller.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...