IGNORED

Tiny pins in Tandon drive door assembly

erichenneke

Hi,

This is bound to be a common issue for those who collect and use old floppy drives, so asking if others have experienced this and come up with some solutions.

I have a couple drives with Tandon full-height mechanisms. And over time, almost all of them get little cracks in the parts of the door that hold the two tiny little dowel pins in place where they pivot like a hinge when door flap is opened and closed. I've fixed that issue in the past with a single very carefully placed drop of super-glue.

But, I have one drive with this issue and the little pins are lost. They are gone. So just wondering if anyone knows if those pin parts are available or a substitute that's been used to replace a lost pin ?

In the pictures, you can see one drive that still has the pins intact and in place.   The other picture is the drive where the pins are missing/lost. 

Thanks

Eric

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

IMG_20220205_144116.jpg

IMG_20220205_144056.jpg

Edited by erichenneke

6 hours ago, erichenneke said:

But, I have one drive with this issue and the little pins are lost. They are gone. So just wondering if anyone knows if those pin parts are available or a substitute that's been used to replace a lost pin ?

The bottom picture shows not just the pins missing, it shows that part of where the bottom/left pin sits is broken off as well. Best Electronics is the only place I know of that sells a replacement, I dont know if it includes the broken part:

Atari 810 Tandon New Upgraded / improved front lift door.  Cures the known problem with old Atari 810 Tandon doors with white pivot pins that break close to 100% of the time. FA100467 $4.95
Edited by BillC
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, BillC said:

The bottom picture shows not just the pins missing, it shows that part of where the bottom/left pin sits is broken off as well. Best Electronics is the only place I know of that sells a replacement, I dont know if it includes the broken part:

Atari 810 Tandon New Upgraded / improved front lift door.  Cures the known problem with old Atari 810 Tandon doors with white pivot pins that break close to 100% of the time. FA100467 $4.95

Wow, I had never seen that on Best's site before. Thanks!  That would at least address the missing pins.

Yeah, exactly, the "holder" for the pin is cracked off too, like I said in the first post, and I've had a few Tandons do this already so seems common as they get old and brittle.  As long as you still have the pins, a drop off super-glue works well. Just don't get any in the hole the pin sits in on the "uncracked" side, because the pin still needs to freely spin in that hole after the glue sets on the cracked side.  Then it works great again and I've had some hold up for years like this already.  It would be cool if this kit from Best replaced that cracked too though. I wonder.

Thanks again

Eric