IGNORED

FS1

ClausB

10 hours ago, ClausB said:

Yes, that contrast is why I chose to port the very first version. That and the historical importance. Though I was disappointed that this version lacks the overhead view, which the TRS-80 Version calls RADAR mode.

The second version of A2-FS1 is the one we played most as kids back then. Felt the 1st version was missing a couple of enhancements like the "CRASH" graphic, and map thing, and the low-altimeter. The second version seemed like a big upgrade. And it was a real upgrade because we got new tangible features. And it was on disk.

At the same time, the 2nd 32K "disk version" wouldn't work on a 16K machine. And some of us had only 16K & cassette to start with.

We never played the 3rd version much because it seemed slower. And the Apple II is graphically challenged enough without more scenery to worry about.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Peruchi said:

I'm trying to run this game on the 576NUC+, but none of the keys work. I understand there is no joystick support yet.

Thanks for trying. Keyboard hasn't been tested on vintage hardware yet afaik. What's different in the 576?

Running this on a real 48K NTSC 400 for the last two hours.

The keyboard seems to work F H T B appear to move the aircraft pitch, and the <> keys increase or decrease throttle.

Been on conf calls so leaving it running and not had much time to experiment.   But looks like great work!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oracle_jedi said:

F H T B appear to move the aircraft pitch, and the <> keys increase or decrease throttle.

Yes. The key map is in the manual below. V, P, K don't work. Don't forget to press U after takeoff to see the wide scenery.

https://atariage.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=917427

Edited by ClausB
  • Like 3

It appears to work very well - I'm mighty impressed.

I can move the rudder and elevators around with the keyboard but not the throttle.

I'm using Altirra 4.01 on Windows 10 with default settings.
Also tried Altirra 3.90 with same results.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stepho said:

It appears to work very well - I'm mighty impressed.

I can move the rudder and elevators around with the keyboard but not the throttle.

I'm using Altirra 4.01 on Windows 10 with default settings.
Also tried Altirra 3.90 with same results.

You need to use Shift+,/. if the keyboard is set to natural layout (map by characters) and -/= if it's set to direct layout (map by key locations).

• Thanks 1

I experimented with a DLI to make the text background black. The OS DLI NMI handler needs only locations $200-201 in RAM but those collide with the scenery data table. I could move the table and implement the DLI. Who here would prefer the text on black?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/22/2022 at 10:03 PM, ClausB said:

They cut it in half by using self-modifying code.

There is another instance of self-modifying code. The line drawing routine is used mainly in the upper outside view, where it must OR new pixels in with the old ones. But the instrument "clock hands" in the lower panel are drawn by the same routine modified to use EOR instead. Whenever the hands must move, they are first redrawn in the old positions to erase them while restoring the pink dial pixels underneath (two identical EORs make a null operation). Then they are drawn in the new positions. That's why the hands sometimes have green pixels in them - pink EOR white makes green. To switch the mode, there's a subroutine which either writes the EOR opcode into 13 locations in that routine, or writes all the ORs back again. Tricky!

• Like 1

This latest version adds some options. It starts out in Apple mode with just 4 colors and all keys except V and P supported.

To switch to Atari mode, press S to enable joystick control.

Then press OPTION to enable gray text background and recover 1% performance lost to the DLI.

Press SELECT to enable a horizon line. This was lacking, IMO. The manual says you can easily lose sight of the scenery and you should then fly on instruments. Well, a primary instrument for blind flying is the artificial horizon. FS2 has one in its panel, but FS1 does not, so I added a horizon line to the outside view. It borrows 2 lines from the civilian airport and moves them up in front of the aircraft, so it's only available in the wide scenery mode (U key).

ATFS1o.COM

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2