IGNORED

Season 20 Round 4 - R.B.I. Baseball

asponge

For this round we will play a single game against the computer.  You may select any teams you'd like.  Your score will be the difference between the number of runs you score vs the number of runs scored by the computer player.  For example if you score 8 runs and the computer scores 3 runs then your posted score will be 8 - 3 = 5.  The score should be calculated at the conclusion of the game.  This will either be after 9 innings or if you're down by 10 points the "mercy rule" takes affect and the game is ended prematurely.

Tie Scores Update:

In the event that we have tie scores posted, I will combine the season points for whatever places the scores end up and split them between the players.  For example if two players tie for 1st place then I will combine the points for 1st and 2nd places (25 + 20) and split those points between the two players so each will receive 22.  The next player will then get the points for 3rd place (17) and so on.  If we have a tie for 2nd then those players will get the points split for 2nd and 3rd places (20 + 17 = 37 / 2 = 18).  The next player will then get the points for 4th place (14) and so on.

317965042_RBIBaseballCartridge.png.19cc2998ea022188e4d0fb032ad55ccb.png 995124693_RBIBaseballScreenshot.png.bc9dbdff09897676b0b5379a5dfd5650.png

Game Rules:

Select any two teams

Play a single game, 9 innings or mercy rule

Post the difference between your score and the computer score

Manual

Score Post Deadline: Sunday February 27 at 11:59 PM CST

AtariAge High Score:

None

Scores as of 2/27:

wongojack     14
asponge       10
fakecortex     2
crade        -10
Frozone212   -10

Season Standings:

Scoreboard.png.e7ad47de142187bce6ea7ad18b63556c.png

General HSC Season Rules:

• To participate, just post a score to the thread. Anyone can join in at any time.
  • A picture or screenshot is encouraged when posting a score but not required.
  • The season is 15 rounds long.
  • Games will be posted on Sundays and run two weeks through Sunday at 11:59 PM CST.
  • Do not exploit game glitches, take advantage of 1-up loops or intentionally die in order to replay a level.
  • If "point pressing" is not specified in the game rules you should be moving forward in an attempt to complete/loop the game and not "camping" for points.
  • No emulator save states, slow-mo, rewind, etc.
  • No cheats, e.g. Konami code, Game Genie, etc.
  • Turbo controllers are allowed.
  • Season points are awarded according to the following chart:
    1110848006_ScoreChart.png.e4e6c238b16cc1de0a8133d7d8dfa42d.png
  • Like 3

I’ve always enjoyed playing nes baseball games in two player mode (mostly Baseball Simulator), but against the computer...not so much. My first game I lost by the mercy rule 16-6 in the 8th, my second one, below, was better, but not a win. Considering the time and frustration that results, I’ll be happy with any positive net runs this round. 

RBI Baseball: 11-14 = -3 

4AD86527-C75C-48A0-84C9-A887D3D61935.thumb.jpeg.2fd209ef6083552036c40e227f38df3d.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frozone212 said:

The AI did a pop up then pulled a double play afterwards

This shouldn't even be possible! I didn't even get to run. There are too many foul balls

I do not like baseball. If only we could do NBA Jam or Tecmo. Too bad i never get to pick anything

Whoever picked this...I fucking hate youComedy Central Lol GIF by The Jim Jefferies Show

two home runs, they throw the ball either to the extreme right or extreme left.

there needs to be a rule in this thread

NO BASEBALL!

can't set your outfielders, ball moves too fast

can't score fuck this, i'm out

Next game better be tetris or something

No one is forcing you to participate.  If you don't agree with the HSC rules or game selections maybe you should move on.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Frozone212 said:

I apologize. 

No hard feelings.  If there's a specific game you want to play just make a suggestion.  If we haven't played it in a while (i.e. a couple of years or so) I'll work it into the season.  You can check out all of the games we've played previously and the last time we played them here:  https://neshsc.neocities.org/.

14 hours ago, Frozone212 said:

So i don't have to win to choose the next game?

In that case, can we do tetris? Either version would be nice

13 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I second this!

Yeah we can do Tetris next round.  Feel free to post game suggestions at any time.  I may not get them in right away, but I keep a "wanted" list so I'll work them in eventually.

• Like 2

Wow, this is an old favorite.  I haven't contributed to this thread in years, but I might play a few games and contribute.  Mets vs Red Sox anyone?  That's probably not the best matchup for score differential, but I had a friend who was a huge Sox fan, and I always used to pick the Mets to piss him off.  We were pretty evenly matched.

Regarding the double play on the pop up, there is no infield fly rule in this game.  A common tactic with human players is to let the infield ball drop to get that double play.  It is cheap and it sucks, but you have to be ready for it.  You can also exploit this against the computer.

For a prime matchup, I think I would recommend playing as Boston and playing against Houston.  You can start Clemens and he will usually give you 7+ innings even if you are abusing the fast ball.  The game's best pitcher is an argument that has continued to this day, so you may find lots of other recommendations "out there."  It's more about the way you use the pitchers than raw stats and abilities which is one of the things that makes this game so legendary.  I think the Astros will start Mike Scott and they do have Nolan Ryan, but unlike Clemens, those guys usually burn out pretty fast and you can get some hits on them.  It just seems like I could always score on the Astros.

• Thanks 1

Played Boston vs Houston and squeezed out a win! I can’t believe I blew a 11-3 lead going into the bottom of the 7th tho. I was hoping to see if the 10 run mercy rule applied to the computer player. I won’t be able to play again until the last day, so at the very least I accomplished my goal of a win :D

12 - 10 = 2

199A2D6A-33D7-4E15-B8FA-D859C130F85A.thumb.jpeg.0e3eba9431cb7640efc5d5400c61fb8d.jpeg

Edited by fakecortex
*Houston
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, fakecortex said:

Played Boston vs Huston and squeezed out a win! I can’t believe I blew a 11-3 lead going into the bottom of the 7th tho. I was hoping to see if the 10 run mercy rule applied to the computer player. I won’t be able to play again until the last day, so at the very least I accomplished my goal of a win :D

12 - 10 = 2

199A2D6A-33D7-4E15-B8FA-D859C130F85A.thumb.jpeg.0e3eba9431cb7640efc5d5400c61fb8d.jpeg

Yeah, Clemens fades eventually and you have to get good at using the other relievers.  Takes practice playing with the same team.  I used to like to play as the Mets because they've got a side-arm pitcher in the bull pen who can really change things up on an opponent, but you've got to get good at using him (Orosco).

• Like 1

On 2/16/2022 at 8:23 AM, asponge said:

Yeah we can do Tetris next round.  Feel free to post game suggestions at any time.  I may not get them in right away, but I keep a "wanted" list so I'll work them in eventually.

Tetris is my favorite. I recommend anything on the NES mini as I only have three cartridges. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, wongojack said:

Hey time tracking friend, one of these days you've really gotta get into emulators

You are correct but I don’t know anything about emulators. I figure between a nes mini and an atari flashback with a sd card with 900 games I have enough, maybe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frozone212 said:

There is too much wrong with the original RBI baseball for it to be any fun. Fouls are frequent, can't set your fielders etc. I understand if you picked the game for nostalgic reasons but upon closer inspection, I'll play Baseball simulator 1000

LOL - you kinda had to be there for this one.  It also helped to have played a lot of the baseball games that came before this one.  The controls and options make sense that way.  Believe it or not, the game has quite good action for its contemporaries, but a simulation it is not.  There were much better simulations "out there" bitd, but this one delivered a bit better in the fun department.  I think it still does.  Especially when playing against another human who is familiar with the games and the teams.

At least one person agrees with you who bothered to write a review on GameFAQs.  They even mentioned Baseball Simulator:

image.thumb.png.2a3171e36ad0682b19786a13fc0116da.png

R.B.I. Baseball Reviews for NES - GameFAQs (gamespot.com)

• Like 1