IGNORED

Atari Video Music C-240?

YSG2020

There's something very satisfying about the fluidity of the effects the AVM produces.  Hard to describe until you see one working on a CRT, but the way it reacts to the sound input just looks different than most other visualizers.  Has to be because it is not using a frame buffer.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Keatah said:

All this.. this old-man "stuff" = deliciously analog!

I'll try to get some decent shots of my other audio racks.  One is full of old Crown gear (70s), and the other has a 1969 SAE Mark III and a 1978 Son of Ampzilla (both of which have huge front panel VU meters).

Have to find some other pics - the SAE is not plugged in, I'm in process of rebuilding two large speaker cabinets so stuff is strewn everywhere.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

There's something very satisfying about the fluidity of the effects the AVM produces.  Hard to describe until you see one working on a CRT, but the way it reacts to the sound input just looks different than most other visualizers.  Has to be because it is not using a frame buffer.

Totally agree.  It has to be seen in order to be appreciated and it can only be truly appreciated, when connected to a CRT. 

• Like 2

I've got one I'm trying to fix. After replacing the RCA cord and attaching a coax adapter, it's working but there's a lot of static. Wiggling the RCA cord around ranges from total static o screen to pretty clear, so I'm not sure what the issue is. I initially thought it was the RCA touching the metal casing but still trying to get to the root cause. Any ideas? See sample vid with artifacts + photo of replaced RCA.

PXL_20220321_214444443.jpg

Edited by Yar1970
  • Like 1

Pretty sure what you're seeing is due to the flat panel screen.  Older equipment never seems to properly display or tune over RF.  I'd love for someone to come up with a composite (or better yet luma/chroma) output for this device, bypassing the RF converter altogether.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2022 at 11:48 PM, YSG2020 said:

Here’s what my new c-240 is matching to in my collection. All mid-late ‘70s spec. I think it’ll fit in nicely. That scope which I was using as my ‘visualizer’ is glowing hot vacuum tube driven and from the mid ‘60s. 

EEB3330D-BB1E-49FF-A250-F0AECE7E9D0A.jpeg

I love VU-meters.  Both of these amps are still working.  I really need to get better pictures, but I had them on my bench to measure the power output - not surprisingly, both exceeded their rated specs.

01.thumb.jpg.2f4f581b86f0dc0748a5a5952aab7708.jpg

• Like 5

On 3/31/2022 at 4:35 PM, Stephen said:

Interesting - I wonder what those mods are?  I also see composite out on the top.  I can't believe someone would hack up one of those units though :(

Looks to me from watching the video, that it was modified to actually display combined graphics of the different waveforms in ways you can't normally do from the front. It also seems to have a built in amp or the distortion knob is for something else. Also likely done to make it easier to use the unit on a DJ table but yeah given the video, it looks like additional knobs to control the waveforms and be able to turn them on/off to mix them together on screen along with additional 1/4" inputs so that stage gear and audio cables could be used vs the standard RCAs in the back.

One of the better modifications I've seen on something like this. Especially the added decal work on the top almost gives is a more factory look.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Wow, wasn't aware these things existed.

I ran across a video for an open-source clone.  Unfortunately he didn't make it as functional, no buttons or knobs for control -

https://ctrl-alt-rees.com/2020-11-26-pixelmusic-3000-modern-atari-video-music-clone-parallax.html

I guess it's based off of a project in an old magazine (Make Magazine)?  Maybe one day he'll add the extra functionality.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...