IGNORED

NES, FDS, Famicom etc..

birdie3

I am now finding out now that this was a dumb question. I am going to go smash my FDS of the wall now. Thanks for your helpful answer sonny.

If you are wanting me to post more entertaining topics, why not ask me what I think about internet cowardice.

My current post in the Emulation section follows a coversation consisting of people saying that they can connect an FDS to an NES but it was never stated whether it was a top loader or not. I have tried to use the FDS on a frontloader by popping the top off but it doesn't fit right and I don't think it is connecting properly. I am trying to determine whether I am doing something wrong or if I actually have to get one of those damn top loaders for this disk drive contraption to work properly. It is a pain in the arse to have this cool piece of hardware that you can't use so I am trying to find out if there are any tricks that I am not aware of to see if I can get it to work on my regular NES as opposed to getting a Famicom or a top loader.

My current post in the Emulation section follows a coversation consisting of people saying that they can connect an FDS to an NES but it was never stated whether it was a top loader or not. I have tried to use the FDS on a frontloader by popping the top off but it doesn't fit right and I don't think it is connecting properly. I am trying to determine whether I am doing something wrong or if I actually have to get one of those damn top loaders for this disk drive contraption to work properly. It is a pain in the arse to have this cool piece of hardware that you can't use so I am trying to find out if there are any tricks that I am not aware of to see if I can get it to work on my regular NES as opposed to getting a Famicom or a top loader.

A ribbon cable to extend it further out?

And do you have the adapter? It won't plug in directly, because the NES and FamiCom use diffrent connectors.

I have the adaptor. Everything plugs in fine but it doesn't seem to be connecting or something isn't right. Now we are getting somewhere. I know what a ribbon cable is but can you explain to me what I would need to do because it is not quite as apparant to me. Is that even possible??

I have the adaptor.  Everything plugs in fine but it doesn't seem to be connecting or something isn't right. Now we are getting somewhere. I know what a ribbon cable is but can you explain to me what I would need to do because it is not quite as apparant to me. Is that even possible??
I was thinking the connector might not have room(due to that stupid spring tray and sideways connector).

If that was the case, a ribbon cable with the appropriate connectors would let you get it out and away from the deck. But if it's all hooking up smoothly.

Is this a reliable NES? A fabled first time every time unit?

Or is it a rather unreliable one. It may just be giving you hell because it's an NES and that's what they do...

I hate to state the obvious, But have you considered getting a real famicom? or even a clone? The NES does have a regional lock and this may be playing with it. Im not sure whether any region code is on the fami discs. You can mod the NES very easily to make it region free, Like i said though , im not sure if this is the prob. I have never tried mine on the NES with an adapter because i am too doubtful of success.

The regional lock is not coming into play here as far as I can tell because I am now getting the system to power up and show me the "insert disk card" screen.

BTW - the Game Genie coupled with the NES to Famicon converter allows the FDS to work like a charm

Now I get a "battery err 002" message which either means that the batteries are dead or the belt is messed up. I opened the system to see if the belt was gone and it actually looked like it was okay. The batteries are fairly new as well. I don't really know what to look for interms of a faulty belt but it looked okay. Does anyone have any other thoughts or suggestions?? Thanks for the response thus far people.

BTW - the Game Genie coupled with the NES to Famicon converter allows the FDS to work like a charm

Ah, the good old Game Genie... these things seem to solve all kinds of NES problems. My old crummy NES won't even work properly unless I use one nowadays.

--Zero

The regional lock is not coming into play here as far as I can tell because I am now getting the system to power up and show me the "insert disk card" screen.  

Now I get a "battery err 002" message which either means that the batteries are dead or the belt is messed up. I opened the system to see if the belt was gone and it actually looked like it was okay. The batteries are fairly new as well. I don't really know what to look for interms of a faulty belt but it looked okay. Does anyone have any other thoughts or suggestions?? Thanks for the response thus far people.

Did you try reversing them?

Here's the scoop. The FDS works. I have a power adaptor and it powers the system well. The disks seem to be dead or there is still something wrong. Now I get a "disk err 022" but the head still moves to read the disks and the belt is okay too. Now I am thinking that the disks are toast. Has anyone that has one of these ever seen this kind of error message?? Could it be that the Genie won't let me play these types of games on thye NES??

Aha :x

I am wrong , check this out http://www.nesplayer.com/technical/FDS.htm

Ive already done the genie mod, the one that involves lots of soldering. I might try it myself i spose. The japanese nintendo site does support for the FDS, This site is %100 japanese though so you need to translate. Its worth it though.

Wait a minute. Now are you saying that I can't play FDS games because the NES wont play FDS games due to the regional lockout or are you saying that I actually am able to play the FDS games on the NES?? I am not usuing the NES to Famicom coverter that you see in that picture. I am just using a pirated 60 to 72 pin converter that came with a multicart I bought. I am just trying to find out is this will work or if I actually need a Famicom to get this thing to work.

Wait a minute. Now are you saying that I can't play FDS games because the NES wont play FDS games due to the regional lockout or are you saying that I actually am able to play the FDS games on the NES?? I am not usuing the NES to Famicom coverter that you see in that picture. I am just using a pirated 60 to 72 pin converter that came with a multicart I bought. I am just trying to find out is this will work or if I actually need a Famicom to get this thing to work.

No, im saying that it does work. I have tried it today on my PAL system and it works fine.

JB:  

What does that mean? I am using a Game Genie to get it to fit into my machine. Is this messing up the code??

It means either data on the disk is damaged or the disk needs cleaning.

The Game Genie IS another possibility. If you can get it out of the way, that should answer that.