IGNORED

Atari 5200 switch box

dsullo

Someone on eBay is selling new 5200 switch boxes for the 4 controller port model.  I was wondering if I should get one to replace my existing original switch box because I read they can be faulty and cause a fire.  Is it worth it and safer?  Or should I stick with my original ? Ok 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2022 at 9:20 PM, dsullo said:

Someone on eBay is selling new 5200 switch boxes for the 4 controller port model.  I was wondering if I should get one to replace my existing original switch box because I read they can be faulty and cause a fire.  Is it worth it and safer?  Or should I stick with my original ? Ok 

Yes that was an over hyped rumor / myth due to the tony spark as mentioned. I have that whole setup, if the spark concerns you simply hook up the switch box and everything else first and then plug in the power plug into the wall / outlet LAST thus avoiding the possibility of the spark. 

In fact here is a crappy video of myself hooking one up for a little gaming I made 12 years ago (my god time flies) hooking everything up within the first couple minutes and totally not following my own advice because you can just make out as I connect the power end of the PSU which is already plugged into the wall outlet, to the switchbox, while there is no spark you can just make out a tiny puff of smoke which may of been dust burning off ?‍♂️?but again could have been avoided had I done that step first. 

• Like 1

Yeah, they do not catch fire.  They do spark - if you plug in the 5200 into the box after the power supply.  When hooking up cables, do the  AC  power into the wall last and there will be no spark.

Now, I'd be more inclined to find power and UAV kits and modify the 5200 to use composite output and use a dedicated AC cord instead of the 5200's hodgepodge as it'll look and sound tons better. It's a clever hodgepodge Atari put together, but a hodgepodge nonetheless. Or a 5200 with the modifications already made...

Or what @OldSchoolRetroGamer said above, I should read the thread before jumping off the deep end.. ?

Edited by CommodoreDecker
  • Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

But has nobody ever wondered how you could transfer 2 signals in opposite directions into 1 single cable sush as transfering an rf signals and power to the atari 5200???

unless there are 2 wires inside that long cable inside that hardwired atari 5200 cable,

i could find no ansure trough a google search nope.