IGNORED

Rogue (Epyx) Configurable resolution hack?

leech

It has been a long time since I played this, but am pretty sure it only runs in ST Low.  Would love to see a patch for it that allows for any 16 color resolution.  Playing it on my SuperVidel at 1280x720 would be sweet!  The only problem I ever saw with this release was the size of the window.  The graphics are otherwise spot on!     

6 hours ago, leech said:

It has been a long time since I played this, but am pretty sure it only runs in ST Low.  Would love to see a patch for it that allows for any 16 color resolution.  Playing it on my SuperVidel at 1280x720 would be sweet!  The only problem I ever saw with this release was the size of the window.  The graphics are otherwise spot on!     

Like this?

image.thumb.png.7d5c70aab18d9f863b9f79f25fcc15db.png

Edited by prog99
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, leech said:

Yes!  What settings did you use?

As its gem based I just turned on extended gem vdi in hatari(buggy). Seems Rogues resolution & colour depth check is perhaps not 100% Wouldn't take much to remove it and the game seems happy with the bigger screen other than the title picture being sized for 320x200

• Like 1

4 hours ago, prog99 said:

As its gem based I just turned on extended gem vdi in hatari(buggy). Seems Rogues resolution & colour depth check is perhaps not 100% Wouldn't take much to remove it and the game seems happy with the bigger screen other than the title picture being sized for 320x200

I was thinking it was "Fake" GEM, like the Phantasie and Ultima games (2 & 3?) were.

I'll have to try it out!

6 hours ago, leech said:

I was thinking it was "Fake" GEM, like the Phantasie and Ultima games (2 & 3?) were.

I'll have to try it out!

Its been 30 years since I last did this but I patched out the resolution check however when I try it on an emulated 16 colour falcon the colours are messed up. I've attached the patched binary anyway.

TEST.PRGimage.thumb.png.27a07c6477ef6934efb1f913b5e27fa9.png

5 hours ago, prog99 said:

Its been 30 years since I last did this but I patched out the resolution check however when I try it on an emulated 16 colour falcon the colours are messed up. I've attached the patched binary anyway.

TEST.PRG 130.99 kB · 1 download image.thumb.png.27a07c6477ef6934efb1f913b5e27fa9.png

Huh, my guess is the color space is defined differently?  

But this is awesome, I figured it wouldn't be too terrible to do.  I should try it out on my real TT and Falcon.  With the control panel, I would think duplicating the palette would be feasible.

39 minutes ago, leech said:

Huh, my guess is the color space is defined differently?  

But this is awesome, I figured it wouldn't be too terrible to do.  I should try it out on my real TT and Falcon.  With the control panel, I would think duplicating the palette would be feasible.

I know where its changing the palette, might have another quick debugging session later 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, leech said:

Very nice!  I vaguely remember there being a nethack!

I remember seeing something about it in ST Format.

Even more amazing is that the official version of Nethack uses the same graphics tiles as the ST version of Rogue. :)

Need to patch the call to https://freemint.github.io/tos.hyp/en/Screen_functions.html#Setpalette with https://freemint.github.io/tos.hyp/en/Screen_functions.html#EsetPalette for falcon but it would need a bit of work as the latter has more parameters than the former.

Might be easier to set the palette manually if your determined to play it or write a wrapper that does it for you.

Anyway it was fun to delve into the code and discover how easy it is to do with the steem debugger.

Edited by prog99
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, MrMaddog said:

That's ok, Atari also stopped supporting computers years ago too... ?

Ouch!  This is true!

On 2/24/2022 at 3:25 AM, prog99 said:

TEST.PRG 130.99 kB · 4 downloads image.thumb.png.27a07c6477ef6934efb1f913b5e27fa9.png

I have tested this TEST.PRG file a few times in Hatari, but it just prompts for a name then crashes...

8 hours ago, leech said:

Ouch!  This is true!

I have tested this TEST.PRG file a few times in Hatari, but it just prompts for a name then crashes...

Ah, it doesn't like 14meg of ram either(sometimes). I think its a hatari thing with the random crashes tbh.

Have you tried on TT mode?

Edited by prog99
I was babbling nonsense.

On 3/9/2022 at 1:36 AM, prog99 said:

Did you run it standalone? It'll crash unless the "stuff" folder is in the same directory.

858995293_ScreenShot2022-03-13at12_45_28AM.thumb.png.273546afa70fb2af62f18deaec5833fe.png

Death by Kestrel!  outside of the intro and death, everything looks awesome.  Do love Rogue, thanks for the tweak!  I should try it on real hardware one of these days.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, leech said:

I have noticed that while the windo fills up the full screen, the actual contents of the game don't seem to go outside of one quadrant.

Nethack works, but it is missing some nice graphical enhancements, like the hitpoint / armor / etc bars.

Looks ok or am I missing something?

image.png

image.png

Edited by prog99
Attempting and failing to remove the 2nd image