IGNORED

"Intellivision Lives" coming to PS2 and XBOX

Flojomojo

Just got a spam from the Blue Sky Rangers about this. It looks like it will have 50+ games, be produced by Realtime Associates, and should be in stores by the end of the year.

I'll probably get this, but it will be the LAST time I'm buying any more of these emulated collections that I already have! Do you hear me, BSR? I already have the Windows versions of Intellivision Lives (including the update for XP compatibility), Intellivision Rocks, and Intellivision Lives for Playstation. So you'd better make this one something special!!! :P :P :P :P

link to newsletter

since there isnt any major INTV forums that i know of, i hope that somebody from the development team will come across this

the one thing that that the PS2 version needs is USB Keyboard support!!

please, do not make force us to map the keypads on the crappy PSX dual shock controller. from the looks of the screenshots, it appears that you get to unlock stuff for getting good scores, ala Activision Anthology. The extras is where its going to sink or swim in my book.

spacearcade.jpg

I found the Intellivision Classics CD for the PSX to be total crap. I had some fun w/ Hover Force, but could NOT get into any other game. Golf was just horrible- I cant believe anyone would favor it over even the 2600 version! I sold the disc to GameStop for less than half what I bought it for less than a week before.

I was weaned on the 2600, never had/played Inty, maybe I'm biased? :ponder:

INTV golf was pretty realistic for its time. you not only had club selection (which is MUCH easier with the keypad), but you also had a primitive swing meter. you had to hit the swing button at the right moment to determine distance and hook/slice.

sadly, like an Atari compilation, the best games of the Intellivision wont make it on this disc due to licensing. Burgertime on the the INTV is a treat and a half, as is Bump N Jump, Tron Deadly Discs, and some others, but you wont see any of these games.

Im biased as i grew up with an Intellivision, but i appreciate old school gaming in general, and ive grown to love atari despite its absence from my childhood.

If they can get the MSRP to 30 dollars or less (which im guessing they can), include a decent selection of extras like TV commercials, and add USB keyboard support to map the keypad, then this will be a winner :)

Hal's Pizza? What does that have to do with Intellivision? Why are we selecting games from arcade cabinets? That never happened.

It;s ther typical bunch of crappy window dressing so far, only more pointless. The interface is downright stupid.

They need all the unavailable games to make it worthwhile, the old sports games do not hold up. The Mattel-owned action games leave a lot to be desired. This will be tough to make worthwhile.

I'd much rather have it for the GameCube than Xbox. I don't own a PS2, so I guess i'd have to get the Xbox version, which I really don't want to do. I end up feeling dirty giving money to Microsoft.

The 'Hal' in Hal's Pizza is for the manager of the original Mattel Electronics Intellivision division, whose real name escapes me at the moment. Hal isn't his real name, it was given to him by the writer of a TV Guide article, back when Mattel were trying to keep their employees anonymous so they wouldn't get snatched up by another game company. The info is all at the Intellivision Lives! web site.

The Game Cube has been a flop. Games for that system typically lose money. You can't blame anyone for choosing to go with PS2 (guaranteed sales) and XBox (good sales plus easy development). Activision announced they were getting out of GC as well with many companies to follow. It's a shame.

I don't dig the arcade theme at all. No one ever played Intellivision at an arcade. Emulating the Mattell offices or even someone's living room would have been more fun and appropriate.

I'd much rather have it for the GameCube than Xbox. I don't own a PS2, so I guess i'd have to get the Xbox version, which I really don't want to do. I end up feeling dirty giving money to Microsoft.

You really outta check out Xbox emus.. play all the Intellivision games you want, no $ to MS ;) Save your bucks for the Gamecube, I know I do :D Next game is Rogue Leader III :P

The 'Hal' in Hal's Pizza is for the manager of the original Mattel Electronics Intellivision division, whose real name escapes me at the moment. Hal isn't his real name, it was given to him by the writer of a TV Guide article, back when Mattel were trying to keep their employees anonymous so they wouldn't get snatched up by another game company. The info is all at the Intellivision Lives! web site.

'Hal' is the 'mascot' in the Blue Sky Rangers logo. it's a cartoon character of one of the Managers at Mattel at the time, Gabriel Baum, who had thought the whole BSR moniker/shtick was pretty stupid at the time (it was made up as part of a TV Guide article on the Mattel programmers in 82, as they wanted a group moniker to call the group, as they technically were just 'Application Software' at Mattel Electronics)

gavv

Well, as a Gamecube owner I guess I won't be picking this up ;)

But I did buy INTV Lives back in the DOS days, and obviously I can play whatever INTV games I want under emulation nowadays using Linux (for which no INTV collection exists...) I do plan on picking up the INTV 25 game in a controller though, if it ever shows up in any of the stores I visit.

I'm not sure why the Intellivision collections don't seem to be given the same reverance in presentation and playability as do retro Atari and NES games vis-a-vis modern console retro packages' date=' but I hope this one finally rights that wrong.[/quote']

well remember, Activision released the Intellivision PS1 collection, so we can blame them for both the bad 2600 & Intv packages there ^^

gavv

I never owned an Intellivision but a friend of mine did and I used to play on his system from time to time. Never did beat him in hockey but I enjoy some of the games. I have the playstation version of the Intellivision lives CD. I hope that they include more single player games and not as many 2 players games because half the games I could not play since it was designed for 2 players.