IGNORED

Mortal Coil

Kaj de Vos

Previous post here

I published Mortal Coil, the first graphics & sound demo written in Meta, my new programming language:

https://language.metaproject.frl/programs/

The ABBUC had the scoop on this in their December 2021 disk magazine. Now I am publishing it for everyone.

I ported Mortal Coil from the original in assembly by my old friend @F#READY. The original won first place in the 128 bytes compo at Outline 2017.

I used this example throughout the development of Meta to guide its design and implementation.

MortalCoil.thumb.png.4e437d77f26b34ad6735dd55a84d9503.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Refuses to download in Chrome...Forbidden..

Thanks for the report. It's not a general issue with Chrome, but you are sending cookies to the Meta server:

SL_G_WPT_TO=en; SL_GWPT_Show_Hide_tmp=1; SL_wptGlobTipTmp=1

Oddly, they are only sent when you click on a link manually, so you were able to reach the website. The Meta website doesn't set cookies, so these are false and the Meta web service considers them suspect. I searched for them, and some websites know they set them, but they don't know what they are for.

It could be malware in your browser, but some proxies set cookies for themselves, so they may originate from your network. I have disabled the check for now. In the future I may implement a warning.

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

Ta muchly

Blimey, why the god awful noise?

Mind you, I don't know about the original version..

EDIT: Seems the original is the same

The sound in the demo takes three bytes. The original demo had to fit in 128 bytes for the competition.

I think the sound effect fits the demo well.

23 minutes ago, Kaj de Vos said:

Thanks for the report. It's not a general issue with Chrome, but you are sending cookies to the Meta server:

SL_G_WPT_TO=en; SL_GWPT_Show_Hide_tmp=1; SL_wptGlobTipTmp=1

Oddly, they are only sent when you click on a link manually, so you were able to reach the website. The Meta website doesn't set cookies, so these are false and the Meta web service considers them suspect. I searched for them, and some websites know they set them, but they don't know what they are for.

It could be malware in your browser, but some proxies set cookies for themselves, so they may originate from your network. I have disabled the check for now. In the future I may implement a warning.

It's possible that it's MalwareBytes sticking its nose in, I normally have it turned off as it stops  the odd site from being visited, I just scan the system with it and leave ZoneAlarm running..