IGNORED

Homebrew - Numbers Game

Glenn Main

Numbers Game

A flick-timing game requiring button precision skills.

Game Play

Get the highest score by clicking the Joystick button whenever a yellow swatch is over a green; clicking when blue is instant game-over. Navigate lines using Joystick Up/Down.

A line changes to white on a successful Try, points awarded to your score. This line is now zeroed from further use.

A line changes to red on a failed Try, points deducted from your score, line is zeroed.

To refresh a board after a round, check 'min number req' at base of screen. This deducts as you accrue successful Tries. When zero, board refreshes and flick-timing becomes a little harder.

Trophies are awarded for streaks (getting successive Tries correct over successive rounds).

Release #4 Click Joystick button to start a new game or restart from a game-over.

Stella NTSC release :  

numgam4c.bin

atariage_shots_numbersgame_v2.png.7e298a54c27bdfc0285aa000218d3a5e.png

Notes about this programming exercise:

Flick-timed hierarchical numbers are extensible to game genre and may also be a replacement for traditional dice-throw decision trees, like combat, or combined with randomness in speed and value that brings in a dice-like throw mix. Table of numbers may align a player’s attributes, example for an RPG, with negative and positive weights, speed of flick and animation of numbers per line rotating through a range, concordant.

Edited by Glenn Main
Blather
  • Like 2

Thomas, hi there. The goal of this game is to get the highest score by clicking the Joystick button whenever a yellow swatch is over a green.

Yes, you now wonder why a man spend time making such a thing, lol. Is a programming exercise to see how I can blob sprites and playfield together across multiple lines as until now I’ve not done.

I’ve edited the game description to include a quicker blurb. I usually get excited whenever I finish a game and words start flowing. These can largely be ignored, lol.

• 6 months later...

I really like this kind of minimalist and abstract games. It's the perfect kind of game for this console. I'd love you to keep improving it. The problem is when you have to score 36 points and you are at a high level of the game. If you miss a line the game is over. It's a bit unfair

Edited by dancero
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Numbers Game on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY)

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 9/23/2022 at 9:21 AM, dancero said:

I really like this kind of minimalist and abstract games. It's the perfect kind of game for this console. I'd love you to keep improving it. The problem is when you have to score 36 points and you are at a high level of the game. If you miss a line the game is over. It's a bit unfair

I agree. Hah. Just played it after a year and it definitely has its sharp edges (I'm also yet to complete GTA V's campaign, just to be clear about any prowess). Maybe if a player's been good, nabbed some trophies already, can trade them for req points-to-score. That favours 'streak banking' ahead gambling their use, adding a [modest] strategy component. Supposing you spend a trophy in a line of 3, the algo' will prove it's ever so more difficult to get back the 3rd after this, so you'd decide depending appropriate skill/level ... see now, there's all sorts of ideas, I'm sure you'd have a few. I have another [super odd] game here festering between book projects that perhaps gets its completion before revisiting this simple flicker.

On 10/18/2022 at 1:12 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Numbers Game on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY)

Thank you for the inclusion and the play!

• Thanks 1