IGNORED

Would VCS Owners Buy A Jaguar Inspired Bluetooth Controller?

Gunther

Should ATARI release a modern version of the Jaguar 6-button controller If ATARI Jaguar games were made available to play on the VCS.

I can't imagine not having the keypad for certain games.

Sure, new controllers or keyboards are available, but it doesn't emulate the authenticity of playing on a real ATARI Jaguar.

If ATARI added bluetooth and refined the controller further, adding an improved D-pad, reduced overall size (leaving the keypad identical to the legacy controllers for compatibility with legacy keypad overlays), and the ability to be used on real Jaguar hardware, then it would make a cool feature for the VCS.

New VCS games could feature Jaguar control schemes as a bonus for VCS players, and emulation (if added) will be much closer to playing on real Jaguar hardware.

Edited by Gunther

1 hour ago, Gunther said:

Should ATARI release a modern version of the Jaguar 6-button controller If ATARI Jaguar games were made available to play on the VCS.

Sure, new controllers or keyboards are available, but it doesn't emulate the authenticity of playing on a real ATARI Jaguar.

If ATARI added bluetooth and refined the controller further, adding an improved D-pad, reduced overall size (leaving the keypad identical to the legacy controllers for compatibility with legacy keypad overlays), and the ability to be used on real Jaguar hardware, then it would make a cool feature for the VCS.

New VCS games could feature Jaguar control schemes as a bonus for VCS players, and emulation (if added) will be much closer to playing on real Jaguar hardware.

Yes I have already suggested this! Microsoft brought back the original Xbox Duke controller that everyone hated, so it’s not impossible. A modern version of the Jaguar controller would be awesome. All it needs is bluetooth, analog sticks, and maybe a trackball added for modern games, and point and click PC games. The keypad can be used for in game chat without the need for a keyboard!

I just don't see this happening.   For one thing any Jaguar games released are going to be limited to 1) games Atari has the rights to and 2) Games that run well on existing Jag emulators that can be integrated into Atari OS (most likely VJ).   That's most likely a handful of games.    I don't think many people are going to buy a whole other controller that will only ever work with a few titles,  and if the game doesn't work with the standard VCS controllers, then it won't sell well.

It's a cool idea, although I can't say I am that fond of the Jaguar controller in general. It would also have the advantage of being decent for old Keyboard controller games and Intellivision games if they ever were able to bring those over. I'm down for the VCS getting Jaguar games, although I can't think of too many Atari could actually release that would be awesome (Tempest 2000 and Atari Karts seem like possible choices).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

It's a cool idea, although I can't say I am that fond of the Jaguar controller in general. It would also have the advantage of being decent for old Keyboard controller games and Intellivision games if they ever were able to bring those over.

Actually it would be awesome if they could map the extras keys to commonly used keyboard keys for games in DOSbox, or maybe eventually Atari 8bit/ST games also.   But I just don't see them making that kind of effort.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zzip said:

As well as it works on any other PC hardware.  It's not the hardware holding it back,  it's that there is no perfect Jaguar emulator

IrataJaguar for Android actually was better.   It emulated the Jaguar so well I could actually run Atari 2600 games on the 2600 emulator for the Jaguar and it worked that well.  (Would crash under Virtual Jaguar).   Also was efficient enough that I could run, on my Mac, a Android emulator (blue stack)running IrataJaguar and the Jaguar games was still faster than Virtual Jaguar for Mac.

Crying shame is that last I checked the Google Play store IrataJaguar was not there.

However...

IrataJaguar_1.0.7.apk

• Like 3

12 hours ago, doctorclu said:

IrataJaguar for Android actually was better.   It emulated the Jaguar so well I could actually run Atari 2600 games on the 2600 emulator for the Jaguar and it worked that well.  (Would crash under Virtual Jaguar).   Also was efficient enough that I could run, on my Mac, a Android emulator (blue stack)running IrataJaguar and the Jaguar games was still faster than Virtual Jaguar for Mac.

Crying shame is that last I checked the Google Play store IrataJaguar was not there.

However...

IrataJaguar_1.0.7.apk 2.99 MB · 0 downloads

I think IrataJaguar is from the same people who made the Project Phoenix Jag/3DO emulator.    Nice emulator, but hasn't been updated in years and has some annoying interface issues that would be nice if got fixed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zzip said:

I think IrataJaguar is from the same people who made the Project Phoenix Jag/3DO emulator.    Nice emulator, but hasn't been updated in years and has some annoying interface issues that would be nice if got fixed.

Interface issues?   What would you have changed?

Biggest complaint I've heard of IrataJaguar is "sadly no more support" but also hear "nice emulator."

For Virtual Jaguar I hear "emulation is lacking" but also hear "But continued support!"

Nah, just amazed how apparently the IrataJaguar folk got as much right at revision 1.0.7 and honestly don't remember seeing it much before that.   Unless it was Project Phoenix like you say.   Would be interesting to see if there is a connection.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, doctorclu said:

Interface issues?   What would you have changed?

I use my own front-end,  so I hate when an emulator forces me to use its interface.   Especially since my front-end is console-style, joystick driven and phoenix is mouse-driven.   It clashes. At least give the option to pass games and options on the command line.   Other people have complained that if you remove a game from phoenix's menu it'll unexpectedly delete the rom.   Both of these are relatively small fixes that could probably be addressed in a day.   This same issue would likely keep Atari from integrating it into VCS OS or Retroarch from integrating it.

20 minutes ago, doctorclu said:

Nah, just amazed how apparently the IrataJaguar folk got as much right at revision 1.0.7 and honestly don't remember seeing it much before that.   Unless it was Project Phoenix like you say.   Would be interesting to see if there is a connection.

It seemed like Irata was based on Phoenix.   They gave Phoenix away for free but Irata was a commercial product.   If they have no interest in developing it or selling it any longer, it would be nice if they open-sourced it so others could improve it and do the integrations I mentioned above.

• Like 1

This will never happen unless fans make it.  Unless Atari decides to focus on Jaguar emulation this will not be an issue it is not like there is more than 100 people lined up to buy that ever.  It might be higher since so many Jag collectors have the VCS and will buy anything to collect but doubt it will ever happen.  Nobody at Atari will focus like that as it will not sell enough.

4 hours ago, The Helper said:

This will never happen unless fans make it.  Unless Atari decides to focus on Jaguar emulation this will not be an issue it is not like there is more than 100 people lined up to buy that ever.  It might be higher since so many Jag collectors have the VCS and will buy anything to collect but doubt it will ever happen.  Nobody at Atari will focus like that as it will not sell enough.

What if it was also compatible with Jaguar hardware?

ATARI XP announced on their website blog that they'll be developing across all ATARI retro platforms:

https://atarixp.com/blogs/discover/discover-then-and-now

I'm assuming the Jaguar to be one of these.

I'm quite sure they're going to do something with the Jaguar, seeing as it's listed in their I.P catalogue (7800 and Lynx too).

Edited by Gunther

It would be a great opportunity for ATARI to enhance the controller.

Keep the keypad the same, but reduce the overall size (reduce width and height)

Improve the ergonomics.

Improve the D-pad and button layout ( have the six buttons re-configured so that they form two + [secondary d-pad for twinstick]).

They could even add two extra shoulder buttons!

Add bluetooth.

On 3/7/2022 at 11:42 AM, Gunther said:

If there was an option to use it as a wired connection and it showed as a standard USB controller and keypad, maybe, if and only if they were bringing out Jaguar games on the VCS that needed such a controller.  I think for the foreseeable future, they have enough to be getting on with, like actually releasing the hardware they have for wider retail.  I would rather see Atari 8-bit and ST stuff released for the VCS before the Jaguar.

• 6 months later...

With the advent of The Eclipse Engine for The Atari 50th Anniversary Collection, a quality VCS reproduction/re-imagining would be great (as long as it has a keypad with the same dimensions as the originals, to ensure keypad overlays to be used).

I'm hoping that ATARI adds a VCS Jaguar native emulator, with the ability to buy single roms from the VCS store.

If it worked on PS5/PS4, X.Box, Switch, VCS, and original Jaguar hardware it would be mint.

The design could be improved, overall size reduced, better d-pad, four-triggers' instead of two, etc.

https://youtu.be/mjO54OrvQug

The link's to a Wade Rosen interview around three-months' ago.

At 45-minutes' in, Wade Rosen talks about supporting "all ATARI legacy-systems".

He also talks about new software, and hardware for the legacy systems (which will be released through ATARI XP, and roms for the VCS Store).

The hardware will most likely be controllers based on retro ATARI controllers' such as the 7800 Europad, and the Jaguar controller.

The controllers will be compatible with the VCS, modern platforms, and original legacy systems.

ATARI have stated in a recent report that they intend to release complimentary hardware for the VCS, and that ATARI intends to support 'legacy eco-systems' like the 7800, Jag, and Lynx.

This interview confirms it, as it's coming from ATARI's C.E.O.