IGNORED

Controller button questions

I am working on a pad hack from a busted Panasonic 3 button controller and I have some questions I'm hoping anyone in this sub forum can help.

In order to make a fully functioning arcade stick for use in.. well any game, do I need a controller with more buttons? I couldn't find any documentation on any of the controllers or the (only existing?) arcade stick.

Am I missing any functionality with a 3 button Panasonic controller over any other ones? Or are the other controllers only duplicates on the buttons? If so, which buttons?

On another note, is there any list that identifies which buttons are used in which games or is that all over the place? I know the play button is used for some punch in SF2, but is the stop button used for any fighting moves in any other games or is it a default to pause?

I've read a few other questions and random tidbits of information but not enough for me to be certain I won't miss out. I've seen a suggestion that there be a toggle to use play or stop on the same button because some games use one or the other for pause, so I'm considering that. But I don't know where else to go from there.

Using a Panasonic because the back shell was toast, and the user bent the whole board and broke a ton of traces. I wouldn't trust this board being a regular controller anymore but it seems great for a pad hack.

Thanks in advance!

32 minutes ago, Austin said:

All an arcade stick (or six button controller) does is map the shoulder keys and the X/P keys to the main face button area. So no, you're not missing anything hacking up a "three button" controller.

Awesome. Thanks for the info!

Do you know which games use stop or play for a pause button?

19 hours ago, Dopy25 said:

Awesome. Thanks for the info!

Do you know which games use stop or play for a pause button?

It varies from game to game. The one specific I know is Super Street Fighter II Turbo uses P for medium punch and it can't be remapped to Stop, because Stop backs you out of the controller config menu, heh. With that in mind, I'd suggest laying out the controls to mimic the official Panasonic arcade stick, then you won't have problems with Street Fighter. Everything else should be fine.

image.thumb.png.44a4cd4dc6953ef9c08c9d8c71d8e740.png 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Austin said:

It varies from game to game. The one specific I know is Super Street Fighter II Turbo uses P for medium punch and it can't be remapped to Stop, because Stop backs you out of the controller config menu, heh. With that in mind, I'd suggest laying out the controls to mimic the official Panasonic arcade stick, then you won't have problems with Street Fighter. Everything else should be fine.

Why are there 7 action buttons? The regular Panasonic controller only has ABC, LR & Play/pause in addition to stop.

I see a mode 1/2 switch at the top left. Does that enable/disable a 7th button? I see play/pause has a designated button but there is also a P button on the top row of action buttons. I'm going to assume those are mapped in succession. I can get around that for sure but I'm trying to figure out the 7 button config on that official stick.

Edited by Dopy25

9 hours ago, Austin said:

Dude. Look at the picture again. Every button is labeled. It's not rocket science.

Mode switch likely alters what the buttons do. Don't worry about that and figure out where you want YOUR buttons to be.

4 buttons have 2 labels but ok. Thanks ?

As these were only released in Japan, not many made it to the states, and there is little documentation, I'd rather someone give input that has hands on one, and is willing.

I'm not understanding the contempt. Surely you can't be the only one that's read this inquiry and has knowledge of the information.

Well I've  never used one but look at the colours of the labels and I think you can work it out. The two modes must be ABCLR (lables in white) with stop and play/pause at the top. Second mode must be the 6 of the 7 round buttons labeled in turqoise which are ABCLR and play/pause which would be the "fighter" mode and you still have seperate stop and play/pause at the top

Edited by str0m
update
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Dopy25 said:

4 buttons have 2 labels but ok. Thanks ?

As these were only released in Japan, not many made it to the states, and there is little documentation, I'd rather someone give input that has hands on one, and is willing.

I'm not understanding the contempt. Surely you can't be the only one that's read this inquiry and has knowledge of the information.

I had just gotten home at the time and was already irritated, and in those moments particularly hate having to spend time typing more than I need to when the answer is already there. Sorry. :)

I own the stick. The mode switch changes between the two labeled layouts. One is in green, the other is in white, as you can see in the photo. Every button is labeled clearly for each mode.

The correct layout for it to work with Street Fighter II is A B C as your bottom row, then L P R as your top row. Put "Stop" wherever you want. Ultimately it's up to you since you're going to be creating this. Street Fighter II is the only game I can think of where the layout actually matters (and it's solely because you cannot configure "Stop" in the button config). Unless someone else can chime in about other games, that's the layout you should go with.

• Thanks 1

I understand. I've been there before too. I hope today goes better for you, honestly.

Thank you for the info. Now looking at the image, it makes sense! I couldn't see the colors before, not sure why. Now on desktop it makes sense.

I guess it just alters the entire layout as opposed to one button. I can see how that would make sense. I was thinking somehow the play and stop buttons were switched. I won't be doing that. I supposed I can switch between on and off for play/pause but I'm not sure that would help. That's why I was asking about games that made use or if they were just pause in most games but punch in fighters. 

Thanks for the info guys. I am pretty sure I have what I need now.