IGNORED

Was Jane released for Apple?

KG7PFS

Jane, an inexpensive set of programs released for the Commodore 128 and Thomson TO-8, was advertized for Apple, Atari and Commodore before there was a C128 or Apple IIc. It was reviewed in creative computing; the reviewer thought the 80-colum graphical font was too slow on a 40-collum Apple.

The Thomson version, like Thomson computers, was only sold in France. That's really too bad because moi no parlez Francois. (I misspelled that, didn't I?) The Commodore version was sold as a Commodore brand product for the 128. (64?) The Atari version was quietly forgotten about.

What about Apple? The Creative Computing review suggests that an Apple version did exist. Was it released? If not, what happened? 

1 hour ago, KG7PFS said:

Jane, an inexpensive set of programs released for the Commodore 128 and Thomson TO-8, was advertized for Apple, Atari and Commodore before there was a C128 or Apple IIc. It was reviewed in creative computing; the reviewer thought the 80-colum graphical font was too slow on a 40-collum Apple.

The Thomson version, like Thomson computers, was only sold in France. That's really too bad because moi no parlez Francois. (I misspelled that, didn't I?) The Commodore version was sold as a Commodore brand product for the 128. (64?) The Atari version was quietly forgotten about.

What about Apple? The Creative Computing review suggests that an Apple version did exist. Was it released? If not, what happened? 

Aside from "an inexpensive set of programs", what was it? Was it programming tools, desktop tools, games, or was Jane the publisher of inexpensive programs?

1 hour ago, TheDevil'sCompass said:

Aside from "an inexpensive set of programs", what was it? Was it programming tools, desktop tools, games, or was Jane the publisher of inexpensive programs?

A point & click word processor, database and spreadsheet on three disks including a data disk. It was published by Arktronics. I don't know who "Jane" was named after.

Yes, it appears Jane was released for the Apple II. I believe all of the disks are here:

APPLE2.ORG.ZA - Mirrors

Disks 2 & 3 are also on archive.org, but I didn't see Disk 1.

Disk 2 of 3

Jane (1984)(Arktronics)(Disk 2 of 3) : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Disk 3 of 3

Jane (1984)(Arktronics)(Disk 3 of 3) : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Disk 1 was imaged by an Applesauce disk controller and the image was uploaded to archive.org

ianoid_applesauce_jar directory listing (archive.org)

Edited by TheDevil'sCompass
additional info on disk 1
  • Like 1