IGNORED

Do you like the Raiders of the Lost Ark game?

T.A.P.

On 6/9/2023 at 9:14 PM, Mitch said:

There are two different items that have similar uses. One is the grappling hook and the other is the anhk (sp?). I think the grappling hook you can use multiple times but the anhk you can only use once. Check the manual and see which item you are using.

Mitch

The Ankh will also teleport you to the middle of the mesa field when you use it,  the hourglass will not.    You cannot deselect the Ankh, you can only drop it - but it's not gone permanently, you can always seek out a new one at the temple if you need it.

Another advantage of the ankh is if you make a mistake and begin to fall, you can use it to teleport back to the first mesa if you are quick enough.

On 6/9/2023 at 3:43 PM, jeremiahjt said:

I tried that and I could not move the dot off of the Hourglass.  I tried multiple times.

It should work, I wonder if you have a hacked copy?   Are you positive you are using the hourglass and not the ankh?

1 hour ago, zzip said:

It should work, I wonder if you have a hacked copy?   Are you positive you are using the hourglass and not the ankh?

Definitely a production copy. I am positive it was the hourglass as the hourglass does not teleport you to the middle of the mesa field.

On 4/4/2022 at 12:16 PM, Chris+++ said:

This has become quite a cool thread, regarding the details and intriguing idiosyncrasies of the game. For years, well up through the '90s at least, I figured that I was pretty much the only person on the planet who enjoyed ferreting out things like the minutiae of a 1982 adventure game. :)

For what it's worth, I wrote a ludicrously thorough "guide" through the game a few years back.

I'm digging the guide! Thanks. @Chris+++

• Like 2

Oops...I forgot I had already linked to it quite a while back, so mentioning the guide twice in the same thread is a bit self-serving. Please forgive, all.

But I'm sure glad you're finding some use from it, Yurkie! Thanks for the comment!

You guys got me on the Raiders kick! Lol.

I've been watching various runs of this game and technically... I think this game can be had under 5 minutes.

Spoiler Alert!

Pick up chute a marketplace right away, get medallion, get Ankh and two bags of coins in treasure room. Next step is to hit map room. I noticed the sun pops up first around the 1:35 mark so you have to be quick. (This is crucial otherwise there's downtime waiting again.) Hit black market and purchase shovel, wrap around through marketplace and get Ankh again and Chai. Got to mesa via Ankh and traverse to saucer mesa. Here's the trick I wasn't aware of. Instead of dropping the Ankh, grapple just outside the mesa and fall (use chai) but you still retain the Ankh. So, technically, the hourglass is not needed which I see some use for the easter egg. Next find the ark mesa and voila! Now this is contingent on how good your parachute game is (I'm sloppy) and the particular mesa the ark resides in.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2023 at 5:57 PM, schuwalker said:

Here's the trick I wasn't aware of. Instead of dropping the Ankh, grapple just outside the mesa and fall (use chai)

I don't understand,  how do you use the chai while falling,  wouldn't you have to drop the ankh and probably die before you can switch to the chai?

So if you fall off a mesa using the Ankh, you can then choose a different item from inventory since you are no longer using it as a grappling hook.

As far as the Chai, you do not use it, you drop it. Which then moves the inventory cursor to the next item. You have to be fast to do this. You grapple off a mesa with the right controller, switch your inventory item to the Chai with the left controller, drop the Chai with the left which makes the Yar appear if you were on the Flying Saucer mesa like in the video, and then activate the Ankh to get back on a mesa with the right controller.

Edit: Also, you have to make sure the Ankh is directly to the right of the Chai so that the cursor automatically moves onto it once you drop the Chai.

Edited by jeremiahjt
Explaining the cursor movement in the inventory strip

14 hours ago, schuwalker said:

Zziip, the video I will link will better explain it.

Around the 1:15 mark:

Ok that helps,  but this just unlocks the easter egg?   Cool, but that looks like the most disappointing easter egg..  you get to see the Yar for a split second before your death :D   

50 minutes ago, zzip said:

Ok that helps,  but this just unlocks the easter egg?   Cool, but that looks like the most disappointing easter egg..  you get to see the Yar for a split second before your death :D   

You also get to see "HSW2" at the end of the game. If you use the parachute instead of the Ankh, you get to look at the Yar for a little bit longer.

6 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

You also get to see "HSW2" at the end of the game. If you use the parachute instead of the Ankh, you get to look at the Yar for a little bit longer.

You still see the HSW2 initials at the ending sequence.

I was looking at the 'tips and solutions' sheet (one that looks like faux parchment paper). I find it interesting there is no mention of using the medallion in the first marketplace; they still suggest using the grenade on the cave.

I also had forgotten giving the chai to the black sheik to gain access to the black market. I always went the route with the little thieves room adjacent to the map room.