IGNORED

NetUSBEE and Floppy

I have a working NetUSBEE and have the latest drivers installed, I have a load of old floppy's

I want to access and although I have a working floppy in my ST, I don't think it will stand

the use required to check all these old disks, I still need it to boot the USB drivers.

I have an external USB floppy drive and thought I could use this. On booting the USB drivers

detect the drive and the floppy spins up, also the USB.ACC shows the floppy attached.

However I can't see any way to access this drive, in an attempt to see why, I removed my USB storage sticks

and booted with only the USB floppy. I tried the usual install icon, tried drive C but no access when double click,

I even removed drive B: and reinstalled, but it still uses drive A: in the usual swap disk way :)

I've checked all the supplied documents and all it says is it supports floppies, anyone know how to access

a USB floppy

10 minutes ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

USB floppy on Atari ST is not good idea. Because those drives are very limited considering formats. Some handle 720 KB and 1.44 MB, some only later.

So, will be not able to use them for 800 KB format, for instance.

And it means that you should test it with disk formatted to 720 KB.

Thanks, I don't need to format any, just read older disks, have checked this drive on a Windoze machine

and it reads 720K floppy's ok, so if I can get it working it should do the job.

btw. I did see a YouTube video of someone using a USB floppy, so I know it's possible, the chap had

it installed like a hard drive (G:) after his hard drive partitions, I tried doing that, but didn't work for me.

1 hour ago, anzac said:

I'd like to know too if it's possible to use an USB drive with a NetUSBEE

Never thought about that, should work as it would just be a FAT partitioned disk, same as

USB sticks, might see if I've got an old SSD and put it in an external case

and give it a try, even though most of the disk would be unusable due to the size limits.

Edit: You would have to us a powered USB hub as the NetUSBEE won't be able to supply enough power

Edited by TGB1718

1 hour ago, TGB1718 said:

Never thought about that, should work as it would just be a FAT partitioned disk, same as

USB sticks, might see if I've got an old SSD and put it in an external case

and give it a try, even though most of the disk would be unusable due to the size limits.

Edit: You would have to us a powered USB hub as the NetUSBEE won't be able to supply enough power

Sorry, I meant USB floppy

19 hours ago, anzac said:

Sorry, I meant USB floppy

I have seen a video of someone using a USB floppy reading 720K disks, it was installed as the next drive after

his hard drive partitions, so I know it's possible, I suppose all USB floppy drives are not equal.

Just formatted a "real" hard drive  1 X 512MB partition and 2 X 2GB partitions, copied some ST

files onto each, booted ST with NetUSBEE and all 3 partitions opened fine, ran a few programs, also

all fine, just a shame about the floppy :(