IGNORED

Side3 issues....

PE1PQX

Interesting, my Atari 800XL works for the most part, but not with a Side 3 cartridge.  I know the Side 3 cartridge works, since it works in my 1200XL.

For some reason I assumed it must be a problem with the Antonia upgrade.

Even those these are not considered hard upgrades, I added an Antonia 4mb and Sophia - I always assumed I broke something :)

But sounds like maybe I need to swap out a 74LS08 with 74F08.....may as well give it a try, I guess.

I tried multiple power supplies, that didn't make a difference.  If I could get the side3 cart working, this would be a sweet machine.

Edited by Meadow Glen

Sorry for a late update....

When I try to mount an ART in Side 3 I get a message 'Bad ATR' or something in that fashion.
The ATR's work in Sdrive MAX...

Also mounting an CAR file as an CART and reboot the machine result in booting to the selftest on many occasions.
I have swapped the 74LS08 for an 74F08....

• 7 months later...

Are you getting the message about 'Bad ATR' in both 800xl machines?  If so then there may still be something wrong with the Side3 itself. I have a Side3 on order from Vintage Computing that I'm going to use in my Atari 400 that a friend gave me. I had the memory upgraded last month by -^Crossbow^- using a 1056k card from reifsnyderb. Looking forward to being able to load multiple game images into the cartridge instead of having to swap out individual game cartridges.

magnus

54 minutes ago, PE1PQX said:

I haven't played my Atari's lately due to busy work schedule and other private things.
As far as I can remember: yes on a U1MB and a stock machine.

few quick questions:

What firmware on the U1MB is installed?

Which Firmware on the Side3 installed?

Is the U1MB SIDE3 plugin installed? 

When I mount CAR files I don't reboot - I just select it, select the type of cart from the menu and it loads.  I am running the beta loader on the SIDE3 cart BTW.

2 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

few quick questions:

What firmware on the U1MB is installed? The latest (non beta) available

Which Firmware on the Side3 installed? The latest (non beta) available

Is the U1MB SIDE3 plugin installed? As far as I know: yes.

When I mount CAR files I don't reboot - I just select it, select the type of cart from the menu and it loads.  I am running the beta loader on the SIDE3 cart BTW.

Answers in red....

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Over a year now.. My sincere apologies.
Was extremely busy here with work and private matter. Had sadly no time to toy around with my A800xl's.

I think I figured out what my problem was:

I formatted my 8Gbyte SD card in my PC, but changed the cluster-size to 4096 bytes, see pic below.
Now my Side3 seems to have no issues with reading the SD-card.
format.jpg.485fbef148848290afe34ce6cb0ce862.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PE1PQX said:

Over a year now.. My sincere apologies.
Was extremely busy here with work and private matter. Had sadly no time to toy around with my A800xl's.

I think I figured out what my problem was:

I formatted my 8Gbyte SD card in my PC, but changed the cluster-size to 4096 bytes, see pic below.
Now my Side3 seems to have no issues with reading the SD-card.
format.jpg.485fbef148848290afe34ce6cb0ce862.jpg

I'm glad to hear that you got your Side3 to finally recognize the SD or MicroSD card you are using with it. You said you have a U1MB in the 800xl. Have you gotten the U1MB Side3 plugin installed? With that you will have no trouble running ATR's through the side3. After getting the U1MB added to my 800xl, and then installing the plugin, I sold the S-DriveMax that I had.

@magnusfalkirk as far as I know: yes, the Side3 plugin is installed in the U1MB. (Your valid question was already asked before)
Have been playing around yesterday evening and every boot/reboot now the SD card has been detected and recognised.
This makes me to believe the cluster-size (set during formatting the SD cars in my PC) was the most likely culprit of my initial problem.

I received an PM from someone telling me there were more issues with Side3 in combination with the U1MB, if so: think trying my solution to see if this solves it all?

Thanks anyone for your input!

Edited by PE1PQX

• 2 weeks later...

1. system freeze anytime.. when booting, when i copying something.. sometimes config.sys loads to half, system halt

2. system booting one time to sparta dos, one time i see BOOT ERROR, BOOT ERROR, BOOT ERROR, BOOT ERROR, BOOT ERROR, BOOT ERROR, BOOT ERROR, BOOT ERROR, BOOT ERROR, BOOT ERROR, BOOT ERROR, BOOT ERROR, BOOT ERROR,

3. loader doesnt exist - BOOT ERROR, or SELF-TEST (i flash latest)

4. FAT16 partition loading very slow - 15-30s and i cant write/copy

5. sometimes computer boot to black screen, sometimes to red

i have latest roms, plugins, and firmwares

O2 FIXER will helps with this unstable device?

Edited by w1k

19 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

You have the SIDE2 PBI HDD enabled, which disables the cartridge ROM (being intended for SIDE/SIDE2). Therefore the flasher cannot find the SIDE3 ROM. Turn off the PBI HDD, update your cart, then install the proper SIDE3 plugin and PBI BIOS on your U1MB.

yes, i flashed everything important.. still issues

21 minutes ago, w1k said:

O2 FIXER will helps with this unstable device?

It is said that it might, but I have no personal experience of the O2 Fixer yet, so cannot vouch for it. My suggestion is to replace 74LS08 with 74F08 first and see if that improves matters (it often does, and that's something of which I do have ample experience).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, w1k said:

its normal on sdx i want open fat16 partition and side 3 opened it maybe 15-25s

Yes, that's normal since the SDX FATFS driver needs to scan the entire FAT on first access in order to establish the free cluster count (there being no persistent free cluster count maintained on disk, unlike FAT32). Konrad did recently release an updated driver here on the forum, though, which greatly speeded up that initial scan; check Konrad's more recent posts and that should lead you to it.

Edited by flashjazzcat

21 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Yes, that's normal since the SDX FATFS driver needs to scan the entire FAT on first access in order to establish the free cluster count (there being no persistent free cluster count maintained on disk, unlike FAT32). Konrad did recently release an updated driver here on the forum, though, which greatly speeded up that initial scan; check Konrad's more recent posts and that should lead you to it.

i searched forum, i cant found 🙂