IGNORED

Power Requirements of a 5200?

Mindfield

Looks like I just won a boxed 5200 with 12 games for quite a good price. Unfortunately it doesn't come with an AC adapter. What voltage/amperage does the 5200 require? I could probably use a universal, but I'd like to make sure it meets the power requirements -- I know pretty well all universal AC adapters go up to 12V, but the amperage load they can handle varies from 300mA to over 2A. I only have 2 universals -- one 300mA and one 850mA, but considering the 2600 uses 850mA alone, I have a feeling the 5200 is going to draw more power, so I may have to run out and buy a heavier duty AC.

2-Port: 9.3VDC @ 1.95A

The center is positive. ;)

Holy ... 1.95A? power hungry, isn't it? 9.3V? What kinda wierd-ass voltage is that? My universals only do 9 or 12, which I suspect just won't do. Looks like I'm going to have to get a real 5200 AC.

Which brings me to:

Vectrex-Atari

I have an offer for one locally, but if that doesn't pan out I'll definitely let you know. Thanks for the offer!

2-Port: 9.3VDC @ 1.95A

The center is positive. ;)

Holy ... 1.95A? power hungry, isn't it? 9.3V? What kinda wierd-ass voltage is that? My universals only do 9 or 12, which I suspect just won't do. Looks like I'm going to have to get a real 5200 AC.

If 9 volts doesn't work, use 12 and trust in the power of the voltage regulator. :)

No, I haven't done this. I'm blessed with authentic Atari-brand power bricks for my VCS and 5200 both.

I don't know why the amperage is so high. An 800XL has more IC's and only requires 5V at 1A.

-Bry

Not sure, but I always thought it was built extra hefty to power the 2600 adapter as

well (a 2600 with Pitfall II draws about 330mA). However I've never had (or wanted) a 2600 adapter to confirm

this. I power my 5200 with a modified genesis 1 supply, it doesn't get that warm.

I don't know why the amperage is so high. An 800XL has more IC's and only requires 5V at 1A.

-Bry

Not sure, but I always thought it was built extra hefty to power the 2600 adapter as

well (a 2600 with Pitfall II draws about 330mA). However I've never had (or wanted) a 2600 adapter to confirm

this. I power my 5200 with a modified genesis 1 supply, it doesn't get that warm.

Between that and the fact that power can be drawn from the expansion port, it makes a lot of sense.